Published on July 6th, 2013 | by HDG A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada | Full size image2
Phalguna Krishna Pancami (Srila Prabhupada’s 1961 Vyasa-Puja Offering
A Vyasa-Puja offering of five prayers glorifying special characteristics of Srila 108 Bhaktisiddanta Saraswati Goswami Thakura. Presented on the commemoration of his appearance, by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, at the Radha-Damodara temple, Vrindavana, India, in 1961.
1. On this day, O my master, I made a cry of grief; I was not able to tolerate the absence of my guru.
2. On this auspicious day I have come with this offering just to worship you, remembering your lotus feet.
3. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu’s judgement is that renunciation is most important. Not only that, but such knowledge must be delivered to every conditioned being.
4. The beginner in devotional service has no ability to solve this dilemma, but you are a maha-bhagavata, you have given us direction.
5. One bewildered by ignorance, what kind of renunciate can he be? He will only be a “phalgu-vairagi”; renouncing externally.
6. Renunciation is actually the result of real spiritual emotion. Without such feeling it is simply known as show-bottle.
7. But there is another “show-bottle” for the purpose of preaching. That is the Lord’s sannyasa by which the Mayavadis are defeated.
8. Lord Caitanya’s Philosophy is beyond varnasrama; it is Bhagavata dharma, for putting an end to all cheating processes of religion.
9. Performing dry renunciation there can be no real preaching. Therefore “Yukta vairagya” is given the highest essential understanding.
10. “That sannyasa which I have given you” is for preaching in devotion. The faithless sense enjoyers are unable to understand this.
11. Generally the sannyasis renounce everything and go and stay in the mountain caves, but you, O master, keep your sannyasis in mansions of marble.
12. To see a sense enjoyer is just like drinking poison, but you, O my master, go far and near, even abroad, to give them your darsana.
13. Mlecchas and Yavanas are forbidden to enter the Hindu temples, but you my Lord, make them chairmen and sit them in the assembly of devotees.
14. Hindus are not allowed to cross the ocean, but you send your devotees overseas to preach.
15. In the cities of Kali-yuga, the instructions of the bona fide spiritual preceptors are forbidden. Still you remain here in any way possible.
16. The devotees want to hide in a secluded place to perform their bhajan. You, however, do not accept this in your judgement.
17. Whenever there is an increase in population, there in that place preaching is to be found.
18. In London you want a student hostel. You explain that it must be first-class.
19. In the land of barbarians a student hostel for preaching Hari-Katha! Who can understand the significance of these things?
20. To resolve all the apparent contradictory statements is not the play of some incompetent fool.
21. If everyone simply sat down together and considered these things, what nice preaching there could be.
22. What is your order also, that everyone, coming together, should merge in your message and preach it to the world.
23. If everyone just initiates then there will only be a contradictory result. As long as it goes on there will be only failure.
24. Now even, my godbrothers, you return here to the order of our master, and together we engage in his puja.
25. But simply a festival of flowers and fruits does not constitute worship. The one who serves the message of the guru really worships him.
26. The service of the message is the real meaning of the Vedas. Don’t be proud, brothers, come back to this.
27. Kalidas Nag (a learned man who was defeated by Srila Saraswati Thakura and later became his disciple), that master said in public forum one day.
28. That Kali’s mission was to kill the entire world while the essential meaning of Lord Caitanya’s message was kept locked up in a cage.
29. O shame! My dear brothers, aren’t you embarrassed? In the manner of businessmen you increase your disciples.
30. Our master said to preach. Let the neophytes stay in the temples and ring the bells.
31. All these things are not our spiritual master’s preaching methods. These are all the things done by the caste Gosvamis.
32. But just take a look at the terrible situation that has arisen. Everyone has become a sense enjoyer and has given up preaching.
33. In the temples they have also begun to lock the doors. Preach this bhagavata dharma, don’t hesitate.
34. Within this world is another world, Whose sound is the unequaled penetrating force.
35. The preaching that “mullah (Muslim priest) only goes as far as the mosque and no further” should be put to an end today.
36. From the seas, across the earth, penetrate the universal shell, come together and preach this Krishna consciousness.
37. Then our master’s service will be in proper order. Make your promise today. Give up all your politics and diplomacy.
38. Everyone come together on this day and make your valued comment. The five of you get together and decide what should be done.
39. You have become renouncers, brothers, so renounce everything. But if you also renounce the order of the spiritual master, then what kind of renunciation is that?
40. The one who renounces the guru’s order (guru tyagi) and the one who tries to enjoy the assets of his spiritual master (guru-bhogi) are two kinds of useless persons. First become a servant of your spiritual master (guru-sevi) and then you will understand things clearly.
41. If there is only one Supreme Lord, then a true sadhu, if his faith increases, he gives up the desire for profit, distinction and adoration in the material world.
42. Your gold, brother, is the father of sense gratification. This meaningful statement was spoken by Srila Prabhupada himself.
43. Give up your wealth for preaching. Sit down together and make some special judgement.
44. The Supreme Lord says that everything is Mine. Don’t protest. Just unite and preach.
45. Srila Prabhupada gave this final message himself. Take care to follow that completely in all respects.
46. Otherwise your sannyasa will be wasted and useless. O saintly ones, be careful; afterwards you will regret.
47. So what is the difficulty for all of us to come together in this way and why do all these things even have to be said to you?
48. Give up your stubbornness, there is no time. Come all my brothers on this auspicious holy