Thanks! and a little story

Dear Lars M

>I would like to tell you a little story about myself. Right now I'm
>studying chemistry at the University of Aarhus, I've done that for almost
>5 years. About 4 years ago I started listening to a radio program with
>spiritual issues called Radio Krishna and from that day on I've almost
>never got a single moment of rest, sometimes the maha-mantra just keeps
>pounding in my head until I reach a point of extasy where I could go out
>in the street and sing and dance with no regard to other peoples
>reactions, do you sometimes feel the same way? It's not that I

Do you do it? [go out on the street and chant Hare Krishna]. That is called
sankirtana and it is the recommended process for spiritual advancement in this
age. You should go out there are chant Hare Krishna and get everyone else to chant
Hare Krishna with you then your ecstacy will know no bounds:

          nama cintamanih krsnas caitanya-rasa-vigrahah
        purnah suddho nitya-mukto 'bhinnatvan nama-naminoh

"The holy name of Krishna is transcendentally blissful. It bestows all spiritual
benedictions for it is Krishna Himself, the reservoir of all pleasure. Krishna's
name is complete, and it is the form of all transcendental mellows. It is not a
material name under any condition, and it is no less powerful than Krishna
Himself. Since Krishna's name is not contaminated by material qualities, and there
is no question of it's being involved with maya, Krishna's name is always
liberated and spiritual; it is never conditioned by the laws of material nature.
This is because the name of Krishna and Krishna Himself are identical.

>dislike it
>but for the most of the time I try to be calm, I'm not very easily beeing
>upset!

It's best to do some practical service. Cook for Krishna, distribute Prabhupada's
books, read the books, preach to some people...

> Other times I see only darknes i the world e.g. look at a
>commercial at the television, they claim that you can't get happy if you
>don't owne this and that (many of my friends are just alike), but when you
>know that you can't be totally happy with material tings it is like
>torture to hear theese things, I could, of course, put cotton in my ears
>but that is not as easy that it sounds, anyway it's probably my karma to
>live such a life.

We can change our karma by chanting Hare Krishna. If you live the life everyone
else does you will become just like them... Association is very powerful. If you
watch the TV it will gradually convince you also and you will be out there working
hard to get a nice car, a nice girl, a nice house...

>So, what to do after i finished studying? I have no idea. Becomming a monk
>will probaly not be in this life span perhaps in the next!?!
We don't want to come back here again! It's miserable and as Kali-yuga [this iron
age of quarrel and disagreement] goes on it will get much worse. So if you do come
back again it will not be a very nice place... Better to dedicate this life to
serving Krishna and when you leave this body go back home, back to Godhead.
Krishna is in your heart, He will help you. Just always chant: Hare Krishna Hare
Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare/ Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare...

>Eventhough I
>have considered it about a million times I have not yet taken any actions
>towards it and will probaly not. I've even considered "following the
>stream" but something inside me says that if I do that I've still got my

If you "follow the stream" you will get washed down the drain-hole.. You have to
follow Krishna and Krishna's pure devotees. You have to find a real spiritual
master and surrender to him and follow his instructions. That is the process:

                          tad viddhi pranipatena
                            pariprasnena sevaya
                          upadeksyanti te jnanam
                         jnaninas tatt va-darsinah

"Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from him
submissively and render service unto him. The self-realized soul can impart
knowledge unto you because he has seen the truth." (Bhagavad-gita 4.34)

>worst nightmare to come. What you can do is to tell me what you think I
>ought to do besides chanting Hare Krsna, beeing vegetarian (witch I am not
>and hate myself for not beeing it) and so forth.

We are not vegetarian, we are "Krishnatarian". We only eat prasadam, food cooked
by devotees and offered to Krishna with love. So I suggest you start cooking for
Krishna... Then you can eat prasadam..

> Obviously the only,
>almost, one source of joy I can get comes from the Source Himself and I
>don't exspct life to be boring just because I'm a little out of bounce
>with respect to the majority of human society.

Yes. Devotees are a little different from the rest of society. But we can't help
that! They expect us to be like them but we want to help them to understand their
relationship with Krishna. The best thing is to always chant Hare Krishna in all
circumstances. Krishna is amazing. He can make so many special arrangements for
His devotees!

                         anan yas cintayanto mam
                            ye janah paryupasate
                         tesam nityabhi yuktanam
                          yoga-ksemam vahamy aham

"But those who always worship Me with exclusive devotion, meditating on My
transcendental form--to them I carry what they lack, and I preserve what they
have." (Bhagavad-gita 9.22)

                                 PURPORT

One who is unable to live for a moment without Krsna consciousness cannot but
think of Krsna twenty-four hours a day, being engaged in devotional service by
hearing, chanting, remembering, offering prayers, worshiping, serving the lotus
feet of the Lord, rendering other services, cultivating friendship and
surrendering fully to the Lord. Such activities are all auspicious and full of
spiritual potencies, which make the devotee perfect in self-realization, so that
his only desire is to achieve the association of the Supreme Personality of
Godhead. Such a devotee undoubtedly approaches the Lord without difficulty. This
is called yoga. By the mercy of the Lord, such a devotee never comes back to this
material condition of life. Ksema refers to the merciful protection of the Lord.

The Lord helps the devotee to achieve Krsna consciousness by yoga, and when he
becomes fully Krsna conscious the Lord protects him from falling down to a
miserable conditioned life.

Chant Hare Krishna and be Happy!