A BLESSings !!! (Mon. 6/26/95)

>Om
>

>tava kara-kamala-vare nakham adbhuta-srngam
>     dalita-hiranyakasipu-tanu-bhrngam
>kesave dhrta-narahari-rupa jaya jagadisa hare
>

>Om

>(from Sri Dasavatara-stotra, p. 97)

"I offer my obeisances to Lord Narasimha, who gives joy to Prahlada Maharaja and
whose nails are like chisels on the stonelike chest of the demon Hiranyakasipu.

"Lord Nrsimha is here and also there. Wherever I go Lord Nrsimha is there. He is
in the heart and is outside as well. I surrender to Lord Nrsimha, the origin of
all things and the supreme refuge."

Hello Donald. Hare Krishna!

You have sent such a nice blessing! It is one of my favorite verses. I am always
chanting this prayer to Lord Nrsimhadeva. You know the story I suppose? But
anyway, even if you do, hearing a little of it again is still very nice. Spiritual
things are always good, no matter how many times we hear them...

   There was one great demon called Hiranyakasipu, he was so powerful
   that he was  able to  control practically  all the  planets in the
   universe. There were only a few  persons in the universe who could
   escape the rule of Hiranyakasipu.

   Everyone else,  even some  of  the great  devotees were  forced to
   serve him  because he  was so  powerful.  So how  did he  get this
   power? He  got it  by  following the  Vedic process  of performiny
   austerities.

   He went to a place calied Mandara  Hill which is a sacred place, a
   holy place, and he performed very great austerities there for many
   thousands of  years. He  was standing  there, meditating,  and his
   austerities were so powerful that, as he was there for such a long
   time, some ants built  their ant-hill around his  body and ate all
   of his flesh. Even  though all of  his flesh was  gone he kept his
   life within the bones of his body only. So this is amazing. He was
   performing such great austerities, so  much so that ultimately, as
   a result of his austerity, an immense heat emanated from his body.

   Because of this  heat even the  heavenly planets became unbearable
   to live  on. So  all the  residents of  the heavenly  planets, Ihe
   demigods, approached  Lord Brahma  and asked  him to  do something
   about Hiranyakasipu.  They  told Brahma  Hiranyakasipu's austerity
   was making  the  whole  universe  intolerable  for  them.  Here is
   another point.  We  think  on  such a  small  scale.  We  think if
   somebody drops an atomic bomb on Australia, that will make it very
   uncomfortable But here we see Hiranyakasipu had become so powerful
   that he is able to make  the whole universe uncomfortable. So what
   is our tiny  atomic bomb?  We're so  proud, we've  made these huge
   atomic bombs  that can  wipe  out one  country  or even  the whole
   planet but what's this whole planet? When we look in the sky there
   are so many planets.  What is our  insignificant atomic bomb? It's
   nothing. Hiranyakasipu, by  dint of his  powerful austerities, was
   able to make  the whole  universe uncomfortable. What  to speak of
   one tiny planet.

   So all  of the  demigods came  to Lord  Brahma and prayed  to Lord
   Brahma, "Please  do  something  about  Hiranyakasipu  because it's
   unbearable for  us. What  can we  do?" After  Lord Brahma received
   this request  he thought,  "Well I  have to  do something, because
   Hiranyakasipu is my devotee."

   The  demons  don't  worship  Krishna,  they  worship  the demigods
   because they know that by  worshiping the demigods they can become
   powerful within the  material world. Whereas  the devotees worship
   Krishna, they  are  not  interested in  becoming  powerful  in the
   material world, they are not  interested in anything except trying
   to please Krishna. Devotees have  no desire other than the service
   of Krishna. We have to please Krishna. Devotees are not interested
   in anything within this material world. But the demons are totally

   consumed by  the  desire  for power,  fame,  strength,  wealth and
   opulence within the material world. So they worship the demigods.

   So  Hiranyakasipu  was  worshiping  Lord  Brahma  to  become  very
   powerful. Therefore  Lord Brahma  saw Hiranyakasipu  had performed
   all these austerities to please him so he had to go there and give
   him sorne benedictions because this Is the process for the demigod
   worshippers. It's very different from the devotees of Krishna. The
   demigod worshippers  are materialists  who worship  for some gain.
   They understand that if I worship Lord Brahma in a certain way and
   perform certain austerities  then Lord Brahma  will become obliged
   to give me some benediction. This  is the mentality of the demigod
   worshippers. There is  no love.  They don't love  the demigod they
   are worshiping, it's a  business transaction. They are approaching
   the  demigod  and  undergoing   some  penance  and  austerity  and
   performing some ritualistic ceremonies  with the object of getting
   something in return. The  devotees of Krishna,  on the other hand,
   don't want anything.

                     na dhanam na janam na sundarim
                       kavitam va jagadisa kamaye
                       mama janmani janmanisvare
                     bhavatad bhaktir ahaiuki tvayi

   This is one of  the prayers left by  Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu.
   Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu  appeared five  hundred years  ago in West
   Bengal, in India.  He is  Krishna Himself  and He  appeared in the
   mood of Radharani,  Krishna's most intimate  companion, because He
   wanted to taste the mood of  Radharani. He preached very widely in
   India but He  only wrote down  one set of eight  verses called the
   Siksastaka. The verse quoted above  states that, "I don't want any
   wealth, I don't want any beautiful  women, I don't want any number
   of followers. All I want my  Lord is Your devotional service birth
   after birth."

   As Caitanya  Mahaprabhu  appeared  in  the mood  of  a  devotee of
   Krishna, even though He  is Krishna Himself, He  is showing us how
   the perfect devotee of Krishna behaves,  how he feels. This is the
   feeling of a  pure devotee of  Krishna, "I don't  want anything, I
   don't want wealth, I  don't want followers, I  don't want women, I
   don't want fame, I don't  want any of these  things. All I want is
   Your service birth  after birth."  So that's the  devotee. But the
   demon, the nondevotee, the materialist, he wants all these things.
   He wants  wealth,  he wants  followers,  he wants  fame,  he wants
   women. In this way he thinks, "I'll be happy.

   The demons in their  search for wealth,  fame, followers and women
   approach the  demigods.  So  Lord  Brahma  was  obliged  to  go to
   Hiranyakasipu and offer him benedictions because Hiranyakasipu had
   performed such severe  austerities with the  view of pleasing Lord
   Brahma.

   Lord Brahma went  to the place  where Hiranyakasipu was performing
   austerities, it is called Mandara Hill. Initially he could not see
   Hiranyakasipu because as I described before he had been covered by
   the ant-hill.  But  there  was  a huge  effulgence,  a  great heat
   emanating from  this  ant-hill  so Lord  Brahma  could understand,
   "Here is  Hiranyakasipu."  He uncovered  Hiranyakasipu  and poured
   some water  onto  him  with  his  kamandalu  (his  water  pot) and
   immediately Hiranyakasipu's  body,  which  was at  that  time just
   bones, was transformed into a most beautiful man. He was described
   as having  a beautiful  golden  complexion, beautiful  eyes, well-
   built body, so he was a very beautiful man, a very attractive man.
   That was the first result of his austerities Then Lord Brahma said
   to  Hiranyakasipu,  "Well  you  have  performed  all  these  great
   austerities to please me, now  what benedictions would you like? I
   am obliged to give you  some benediction." This is the transaction
   between the demigods and their devotees.

   Actually Hiranyakasipu had no  love for Lord  Brahma. He wanted to

   take Lord  Brahma's  position. His  mood  was, "Yes  now  you have
   appeared in front  of me  to give me  benedictions. Now  I want to
   take over your position."

   So this is the demons mood.

   Hranyakasipu  fist  asked  Lord  Brahma  for  the  benediction  of
   immortality. He didn't  want to die.  This is the wish  of all the
   materialists, they want  immortality. They want  to stay eternally
   in the material world  with their youth  and enjoy forever wealth,
   women, fame, beauty. opulence, all these things. They want to stay
   here and  enjoy  eternal life.  But  Lord Brahma  replied,  "It is
   impossible because even I  don't have eternal life.  At the end of
   the creation  I will  also have  to die.  So because I  don't have
   eternal life how can I possibly give you eternal life?"

   indirect way. So he asked for many benedictions. He asked that, "I
   should not be killed on the land or in the water," and Lord Brahma
   said, "Yes, I can  grant you that benediction."  Then he asked, "I
   do not  want to  be killed  by any  man or  any animal,"  and Lord
   Brahma replied, "Yes, I  can give you that  benediction," I do not
   want to be  killed inside or  outside," "Yes," and so  on. So many
   benedictions were given  by Lord  Brahma. Indirectly Hiranyakasipu
   was thinking, "Because  I have covered  all the possibilities, how
   can I be killed? If I can't be  killed on land or in the water how
   can I be killed? What  else is there? I  can't be killed inside or
   outside, what  else  is there?"  So  Hiranyakasipu thought  he had
   covered everything by these benedictions of Lord Brahma.

   Hiranyakasipu went off  very happily to  conquer the universe. And
   he did  that.  He  conquered practically  the  whole  universe. He
   became very puffed-up of course, this is the nature of the demons.
   Once the demon has  a little success in  conquering he thinks he's
   invincible, he thinks, "Nobody can stop me, I'm invincible." So he
   was very puffed-up thinking nobody could stop him.

   Hiranyakasipu had one son, by the name of Prahlada Maharaja and he
   was a pure devotee of Krishna.  This is an amazing story also. How
   did it happen that  a great devotee  could be born  in the home of
   the greatest demon? There  was a reason for  this also. There is a
   reason for everything. Nothing happens without a cause. So how did
   Prahlada Maharaja  become a  great devotee?  This happened because
   the wife  of Hiranyakasipu  was pregnant  at the  time her husband
   went to Mandara  Hill to  perform his very  severe austerities. So
   she was left at home and  the demigods knew she was pregnant. They
   thought the child would be  another Hiranyakasipu so they thought,
   "We'd bener get  her and kill  the child.  In that way  we will be
   saved from the terrible situation of having two Hiranyakasipu's to
   deal with," so  they abducted  the wife of  Hiranyakasipu. As they
   were taking  her away  Narada Muni  appeared and  said, "The child
   within the womb of this woman is not a demon at all. This child is
   a great  devotee  so you  can't  kill him."  As a  result  of this
   incident Narada Muni took the  wife of Hiranyakasipu to his asrama
   to protect  her,  to  give ner  shelter,  while  Hiranyakasipu was
   performing his austerities at Mandara Hill. The wife asked for one
   benediction that,  "I don't  want my  son to  take birth  until my
   husband comes back home."

   So Prahlada Maharaja stayed within the  womb of his mother for the
   whole time Hiranyakasipu was performing his austerities. While she
   was at the asrama of Narada  Muni, Narada Muni instructed her very
   systematically in the science of  Krishna consciousness. He was of
   course chanting  Hare  Krishna in  the  mornings and  evenings and
   speaking the  philosophy of  the Bhagavatam.  Hiranyakasipu's wife
   couldn't  assimilate  the  knowledge  but  from  within  her  womb
   Prahlada Maharaja was hearing the science of Krishna consciousness
   from Narada Muni. So he was becoming spiritually advanced. This is
   a very interesting subject.  It wasn't that Prahlada automatically
   became a devotee. He became a  devotee because he was initiated by

   Narada Muni and  he took  instruction from Narada  Muni within the
   womb of his mother.  So when he  took birth he  was already a pure
   devotee of Krishna.

   This  was  a  very   difficult  thing  for  Hiranyakasipu  because
   Hiranyakasipu's greatest  enemy was  Visnu or  Krishna. The reason
   Hiranyakasipu was performing such great austerities, the reason he
   wanted to become so powerful, was to kill Visnu, because Visnu had
   previously  killed  his   brother,  another   great  demon  called
   Hiranyaksa. So  Hiranyakasipu  was furious  and  he vowed  to kill
   Visnu. That  was  the  whole  purpose  of  these  austerities, the
   motivation for all of his activities  was to kill Visnu. He wanted
   to become so powerful that he  could kill Krishna. Then his son is
   born as  a pure  devotee of  Krishna. So  for him  this is  a very
   difficult situation. But he's only a small child, so Hiranyakasipu
   thought that,  "Well  I  can  train  him  up.  Maybe  he  has some
   attraction for Visnu but I'll send  him to school. I have a school
   run by my expert demoniac Brahmans, Sanda and Amarka."

   He had  a school  for the  sons of  the demoniac residents  of his
   kingdom. All the students were more or less demoniac because their
   parents were demoniac. So Sanda  and Amarka were teaching politics
   and diplomacy, the philosophy of differentiating between my friend
   and my enemy, because politics requires that you differentiate the
   enemy's camp  from the  friendly camp.  But this  philosophy isn't
   attractive to a devotee. Because a devotee doesn't see anyone as a
   friend or enemy. He sees everyone as a servant of Krishna, he sees
   everyone as a spirit soul. He  doesn't see, "This is my friend and
   this is my enemy."

   This  political  teaching,   demoniac  teaching,   wasn't  at  all
   attractive to Prahlada Maharaja. So  when the teachers went out of
   the  classroom  immediately  Prahlada   Maharaja  would  take  the
   opportunity to preach  Krishna consciouses. He  would stand on the
   tables and preach:"One who  is sufficiently intelligent should use
   the human form of  body from the very  beginning of life--in other
   words,  from  the   tender  age  of   childhood--to  practice  the
   activities of devotional service.  giving up all other engagements
   The human  body is  most rarely  achieved, and  although temporary
   like other bodies, it is meaningful  because in human life one can
   perform  devotional  service.  Even  a  slight  amount  of sincere
   devotional  service  can  give   one  complete  perfection.~'  His
   preaching was, "Don't waste your life in material sense enjoyment.
   You have come  here to the  human form after  many,many births. So
   right from the beginning of  your life you should start devotional
   life." He is  saying, "Start  now, don't wait,  because this human
   birth is such a  rare thing. We should  start now, from childhood,
   cultivating this science  of Krishna  consciousness." Prahlada was
   preaching like  this and  gradually all  of his  classmates became
   purified and  they  became  devotees  of  Krishna  also.  This was
   unbearable for Hiranyakasipu, not only was his son a great devotee
   of Krishna, but  he is  preaching to all  ofthe other  sons of the
   demons that they should also  become great devotees of Krishna. So
   this was unbearable for the demons.

   Hiranyakasipu thought his plan to educate Prahlada in politics and
   diplomacy and squash his devotion to Visnu had failed therefore he
   would have  to  punish  Prahlada. This  is  the  political system.
   Firstly if some citizen won't submit to the King's desire the King
   tries to  convince him  with  sweet words  of persuasion,  if that
   doesn't work  the  King offers  him  a  very opulent  post  in the
   government and finally  if these  things don't work  then the King
   punishes the citizen. So this  is political method of bringing the
   subjects under  control.  Prahlada  was  firmly  fixed  in Krishna
   consciousness so none of the attempts of his father or teachers to
   dissuade him were successful.

   So Hiranyakasipu started the third  phase of the political system.
   He wanted to kill Prahlada. He made so many arrangements, he tried
   to have him  trampled by  giant elephants, he  threw Prahlada from

   the top of  a cliff onto  the rocks,  he placed Prahlada  in a pit
   full of venomous  serpents, he put  him into boiling  oil. But all
   the time Prahlada Maharaja was  simply chanting, Hare Krishna Hare
   Krishna, Krishna  Krishna Hare  Hare /  Hare Rama  Hare Rama, Rama
   Rama Hare  Hare.  And as  Krishna  promises in  the Bhagavad-gita,
   kaunteya pratijanihi  na me  bhaktah pranasyati,  "O Son  of Kunti
   (Arjuna) declare  it boldly  that My  devotee never  perishes." So
   Krishna will always protect His devotees.

   Prahlada Maharaja was a pure devotee  of Krishna so no matter what
   Hiranyakasipu did, he was not successful in killing Prahlada. This
   was  a   terribly  difficult   thing  for   Hiranyakasipu  because
   practically speaking he  had conquered the  whole universe, almost
   everybody was his servant.  But he had his  tiny son, a seven year
   old boy,  who was  a pure  devotee of  Visnu and he  was flaunting
   Hiranyakasipu's authority.  And he  couldn't  kill him  either. So
   what to do? Ultimately  Hiranyakasipu had Prahlada  on his lap and
   he asked Prahlada, "My  dear son, please tell  me what is the best
   thing you  have learned  from your  teachers?" Instead  of quoting
   something he had learned from  his teachers Sanda and Amarka about
   politics and  diplomacy Prahlada  quoted something  he learnt from
   his spiritual master, Narada Muni; "O  best of the asuras, King of
   the demons, as far as I have learned from my spiritual master, any
   person who has  accepted a temporary  body and temporary household
   life is certainly embarrassed by  anxiety because of having fallen
   into a dark well where there  is no water, but only suffering. One
   should give up  this position  and go  to the  forest (vana). More
   clearly  one   should  go   to   Vrndavana,  where   only  Krishna
   consciousness is prevalent,  and should  thus take  shelter of the
   Supreme Personality of Godhead."

   After hearing this Hiranyakasipu was furious because Lord Visnu is
   his  enemy  and  his  son  is  extolling  the  virtues of  Krishna
   consciousness  and  telling  him  he  should  give  up  his  grham
   andhakupam, the blind well  of household life  and go to Vrndavana
   to practice  Krishna  consciousness.  So  this  is  unbearable for
   Hiranyakasipu.

   As a result of this Hiranyakasipu took a huge chopper in his hands
   and as if to taunt Prahlada  Maharaja. He said, "Prahlada, is your
   God everywhere?" So Prahlada replied, "Yes, my God is everywhere."
   Hiranyakasipu could  see Prahlada  was  getting some  comfort from
   somewhere, because he wasn't the slightest bit disturbed. Prahlada
   was very happy. So  Hiranyakasipu asked Prahlada,  "Is your God in
   this  pillar?"   They  were   sitting  in   a  very   big  palace,
   Hiranyakasipu's palace,  and  there  was  one  huge  marble pillar
   there. So  Prahlada  answered,  "Yes, my  God  is  everywhere." So
   Hiranyakasipu immediately took  his huge  chopper and  he began to
   smash the pillar,  as if  to smash Prahlada's  God. As  if to say,
   "Well what can your God do to  me? I'm the most powerful person in
   the universe. Who can touch me?"

   Hiranyakasipu believes in  Visnu, because  He is his  enemy, so he
   understands that there  is a  God, there  is Visnu,  but he thinks
   he's more  powerful,  that  he  can  kill  Visnu.  He  thinks it's
   possible for him to kill God.  So he smashed this pillar, and then
   Lord Nrsimhadeva  appeared. Lord  Nrsimhadeva  appeared in  a huge
   form. He appeared to be touching the  sky, so huge, and He is such
   a ferocious form  of the  Lord. Lord  Nrsimhadeva in  this mood is
   called ugra Nrsimha,  it means angry,  wild Nrsimhadeva because He
   appeared in an extremely  angry mood. He appeared  as half man and
   half lion. The bottom half of His body is human-like and the other
   part of His body  is a lion.  He has a lion's  head and big teeth,
   big claws and many hands carrying many different types of weapons.

   Then there ensued a very  great fight between Lord Nrsimhadeva and
   Hiranyakasipu. So  here is  another interesting  point. Why didn't
   Lord Nrsimhadeva  immediately  kill Hiranyakasipu?  He  could have
   done because He is  the Supreme Personality  of Godhead. He didn't
   even have to appear. He could have just caused him to have a heart

   attack or something like  that, He didn't have  to come there. But
   He appeared for two purposes,  He always appears for two purposes:
   "In order to deliver  the pious and  to annihilate the miscreants,
   as well as  to re-establish  the principles of  religion, I advent
   Myself  millenium   after   millenium."Krishna  says   He  appears
   millenium  after  millenium  for   two  purposes,  protecting  the
   devotees and killing the demons.

   Krishna actually appears more to  protect the devotees and to give
   the devotees  inspiration rather  than killing  the demons because
   killing the demons is  not a very difficult  thing for Krishna. He
   can make one earthquake and He  can kill so many demons, just like
   that, He can make a cyclone, a  tidal wave and that can wipe out a
   whole city  immediately. So  Krishna can  kill millions  of demons
   like that  without  having  to  personally  appear.  But  when His
   devotees are involved, He  likes to appear  to protect the devotee
   and to give the devotee inspiration and strength.

   There is another reason for  Krishna's appearance. We like to talk
   about Krishna. For devotees our business is Krishna, talking about
   Krishna. Everybody is  talking about something.  Everywhere you go
   people are  talking  about  something. The  mundaners  are talking
   about what  they  saw at  the  movies,  what they  watched  on the
   television, what's happening in the news, what the politicians are
   doing, what  their friends  are doing.  There are  so many mundane
   topics of  conversation. Devotees  are also  talking but  they are
   talking about  the  activities of  Krishna.  So if  Krishna didn't
   appear and  Krishna didn't  have  activities within  this material
   world then what would we talk about? So for these purposes Krishna
   appears, to protect  the devotees  and to exhibit  His pastimes in
   the material world so as  to reclaim the fallen conditioned souls,
   back home, back to Godhead.

   Krishna actually  enjoys fighting.  In  the same  way that  we are
   enjoying sometimes, there  are some martially  spirited people who
   enjoy fighting. So Krishna also enjoys a good fight. He's fighting
   here with  Hiranyakasipu  and quite  enjoying  the fight.  This is
   another indication of the  personality of God. God  is a person in
   the same  way  that  we  are  persons.  He  has  all  the personal
   qualities, so  he  sometimes  likes to  fight.  When  Krishna does
   something so many  purposes are served  by His one  action. In one
   action He is  appearing and killing  the demon Hiranyakasipu, He's
   protecting  His  devotee  Prahlada,  He's  giving  inspiration and
   energy to  all the  demigods and  other devotees,  He's performing
   some very great  and interesting  activities which  can be written
   down and  spoken  about by  the  devotees  in the  future  who can
   remember the  activities  of  Lord Nrsimhadeva  appearing  to kill
   Hiranyakasipu and  to protect  Prahlada, and  at the  same time He
   enjoys the  fight. So  many different  things are  achieved by one
   action of Krishna.

   Lord Nrsimhadeva killed  Hlranyakasipu and  in this  way the world
   was relieved  of  the  terrible  condition it  was  in  because of
   Hiranyakasipu's demoniac activities.  Lord Nrsimhadeva also killed
   Hiranyakasipu without  negating the  benedictions Lord  Brahma had
   given him. Hiranyakasipu  had the benediction  of not being killed
   inside or outside so Lord Nrsimhadeva killed him in the doorway...
   not inside or outside. He had  the benediction of not being killed
   in the daytime or at night so  he was killed at dusk... not day or
   night. He was not to  be killed by any man  or any animal and Lord
   Nrsimhadeva, as  half man,  half  lion, could  not  be said  to be
   either man  or animal.  In  this way  Krishna appeared  and killed
   Hiranyakasipu, protected His devotee Prahlada and kept all of Lord
   Brahma's benedictions in tact.

   The whole  point of  this  narration is  that Hiranyakasipu  was a
   great scholar of the Vedic literature and he was a strict follower
   of the Vedic principles. He was  very expert in the philosophy. He
   could preach very  nicely. But he  wanted to kill  Krishna. So the

   Bhagavad-gita can  only be  understood by  real devotees  who have
   developed love and devotion towards  Krishna by serving Krishna in
   the association of pure devotees. HARE KRISHNA!!

>OM Mani Padme HUMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>OM Mani Padme HUMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>OM Mani Padme HUMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

       HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA, KRISHNA KRISHNA HARE HARE
           HARE RAMA HARE RAMA RAMA RAMA HARE HARE!

ps: Please tell me what you think...