Reading books other than Srila Prabhupada's

Dear David

Hello, Hare Krishna. All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

I have not read many books other than Srila Prabhupada's. I am not a great scholar
and Prabhupada's books are fine for me.

>I must admit, even though I really don't approach it from a devotional
>point of view, this is a very moving book,

But it [Srimad Bhagavatam] is a devotional book. If you don't approach it from the
devotional point of view you will have no access to the subject matter.

"Completely rejecting all religious activities which are materially motivated,
this Bhagavat Purana propounds the highest truth, which is understandable by those
devotees who are fully pure in heart. The highest truth is reality distinguished
from illusion for the welfare of all. Such truth uproots the threefold miseries.
This beautiful Bhagavatam, compiled by the great sage Vyasadeva (in his maturity),
is sufficient in itself for God realization. What is the need of any other
scripture? As soon as one attentively and submissively hears the message of
Bhagavatam, by this culture of knowledge the Supreme Lord is established within
his heart." (S.B. 1.1.2)

"O expert and thoughtful men, relish Srimad-Bhagavatam, the mature fruit of the
desire tree of Vedic literatures. It emanated from the lips of Sri Sukadeva
Gosvami. Therefore this fruit has become even more tasteful, although its
nectarean juice was already relishable for all, including liberated souls." (S.B.
1.1.3)

>> As far as the books of Bhaktivinode Thakura and Srila Bhaktisiddanta,
>Srila
>> Prabhupada didn't encourage his disciples to read them. Everything is in
>> Srila Prabhupada's books. It is not that we have to go seraching elsewhere
>> to find the things Prabhupada didn't tell us. He told us everything. You
>
>This is something I have always wondered about.  In the little reading I
>have done, Srila Prabhupada explains the philosophy and thought behind
>KC very (very!) well, much seems left out. For example, let's look at
>a goddess like Lakshmi.  She is referenced, but a full description is never
>(to my limited knowedge) given.  This seems trivial, but isn't there some
>cultural conflict between the American Vaisnava and the Vrindaban Vaisnava?
>Please fill in some details on this for me.

No. Everything about Srimati Lakshmi is there in Prabhupada's books. Many Indian's
worship Lakshmi in a very different mood to the Vaisnavas. We worship Lakshmi-
Narian, Radha-Krishna, Sita-Rama, etc. Krishna's internal potency first then
Krishna. She is Krishna's Lakshmi. But demonic people want Lakshmi [wealth,
opulence, good fortune, etc] but they don't want Krishna...

It is very difficult to find pure Vaisnavism in Vrndavana these days. Of course
everyone in Vrndavana is a pure Vaisnava and one should never become offensive to

the Vrajavasis [residents of Vraja]. However from an external view there is a lot
of debachury going on there in the name of spiritual life. One can easily become
completely confused by following the Vrndavana Vaisnava's. And there is a
difference also. The Vrndavan Vaisnavas are on the platform of spontaneous
devotion whereas we are on the platform of the regulative principles. Of course
there are many problems with what is currently accepted as "American Vaisnavas"
but that is another story. If you follow Srila Prabhupada's books you will get the
correct thing. You will become a pure devotee, a Vaisnava.

>This brings up another point.  You are very well versed in the letters of
>Srila Prabhupada, but to be totally honest, most of the KC people I have
>met (mostly Bhaktas) seem to not have read even the most rudamentary
>books by Srila Prabhupada.  Infact, the impression I got from the Boston
>temple (only one Ive visited) was that there was no emphasis on reading.
>Do you see this as a problem within the movement?

It is a very serious problem. They are practically not reading at all, nor is
reading encouraged very much. They listen to some classes given by the other
devotees, but they are often not based on Srila Prabhupada's books either. So
today's "American Vaisnavas" are not very knowledgeable at all. It is a great
pity.

So you should read Prabhupada's books and get the information directly. That would
be the best thing.

Chant Hare Krishna and be happy.