Christians and the Vedas

Dear Brad

Hello. Hare Krishna!

Yes, many thoughtful Christians have appreciated the Vedic scriptures and the

Hindu religion. Of course the Hindu religion is a collection of many different

religions. But Krishna consciousness is not a religion as such. It is sanatana

dharma, the eternal occupation of the soul. It is beyond designated religions.

Often people misunderstand Hinduism as accepting many Gods, but actually,

allthough there are many demigods, there is only one God, Krishna the Supreme

Personality of Godhead. Although He appears in many different ways, still He is

the one original Personality of Godhead. Some call Him God, some call Him

Allaha, some call Him Krishna... But we are talking to the same person.

As for reading you should get the books of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta

Swami only. For example there are many, many translations of the Bhagavad-gita

in English, but until Srila Prabhupada published his "Bhagavad-gita As It Is"

there was not a single serious devotee of Krishna in the west... Because the

other editions of the Gita had been translated by persons who had their own

philosophy to present -- not Krishna's philosophy. So for the books to be

effective they have to be written by a pure devotee, one who has seen Krishna.

Otherwise how can he show you Krishna? So read Prabhupada's books only.

As for getting them, that is a little difficult. They are not in the book shops

unfortunately. There is a mail-order service in the US called "Krishna Culture"

I have found them quite good. They also have a free phone no. for orders.

                Krishna Culture

                P.O. Box 12380

                Philadelphia PA 19119 USA

                1-800-829-2579

They also have lots of other books so make sure you get Srila Prabhupada's

books... Of course the Bhagavad-gita As It Is is a must. There are also lots of

small introductory book by Srila Prabhupada I'm sure you would like. Some of my

favorites are: "Beyond Birth and Death", "Perfect Questions, Perfect Answers",

"The Science of Self Realization", "The King of Knowledge", and I think you

will like "Chant and be Happy", that includes interviews with George Harrison,

John Lennon, etc. There are many others also but this should be a good start...

And yes, it is a sad time for religion in general at the moment. It has been

sabotaged by men who want to destroy any idea of God or life after death. That

is the mood in our society now, economic development. Work hard now, make lots

of money and enjoy.. you live once and then you die. Finish. That's the

"modern" philosophy... Also demonic men are attracted to the position of

preacher or religious leader as it gives them an opportunity to get some

followers, some power, etc. Then they drive out the real devotees so they can

go on with their nonsense unopposed...

What does Krishna look like?

      venum kvanantam aravinda-dalayataksam

         barhavatamsam asitambuda-sundarangam

      kandarpa-koti-kamaniya-visesa-sobham

         govindam adi-purusam tam aham bhajami

"I worship Govinda, the primeval Lord, who is adept in playing on His flute,

with blooming eyes like lotus petals, with head bedecked with peacock's

feather, with the figure of beauty tinged with the hue of blue clouds, and His

unique loveliness charming millions of cupids."

      alola-candraka-lasad-vanamalya-vamsi

         ratnangadam pranaya-keli-kala-vilasam

      syamam tri-bhanga-lalitam niyata-prakasam

         govindam adi-purusam tam aham bhajami

"I worship Govinda, the primeval Lord, round whose neck is swinging a garland

of flowers beautified with the moon-locket, whose two hands are adorned with

the flute and jeweled ornaments, who always revels in pastimes of love, whose

graceful threefold-bending form of Syamasundara is eternally manifest....

(Sri Brahma Samhita 5.30-31)

Chant Hare Krishna and be happy! I hope you can get the books soon.

Madhudvisa dasa