Scientific Spirituality... and impersonalism

Dear Ray

I visited the web site you recommended and it's very nicely done and is based

on the Vedic philosophy. But it's impersonalism. There are two camps within the

Vedic system, impersonalists and personalists. The impersonalists don't accept

individuality as real or eternal. They say ultimately everything is one and our

individual existence is an illusion... They don't accept any supreme person or

God. They say I and the supreme are one...

          Every "I" is the same "I", which is the Cosmic "I".

          The only difference is the Subject pattern held as point of

          reference to experience other patterns.

          Due to Subject >< Object polarisation, the subject pattern

          identifies itself as "I am", having the impression of being

          separated from the rest of the Universe, which is it's illusion.

                         (quoted from the Scientific Spirituality page)

So our realization is different:

            nityo nityanam cetanas cetananam

              eko bahunam yo vidhati kaman

"The Supreme Lord is eternal and the living beings are eternal. The Supreme

Lord is cognisant and the living beings are cognisant. The difference is that

the Supreme Lord is supplying all the necessities of life for the many other

living entities." (Katha Upanasid 2.2.13)

So we are "made in the image of God" as the Christian Bible says. Our form and

God's form is the same however here in the material world we are covered with a

material body. Krishna does not have a material body, nor do we in our original

liberated condition in the spiritual world. We actually have a spiritual body

like Krishna's but in the material world it's covered by a material body.

We exist eternally as individual persons and God also exists eternally as an

individual person. The difference is God is great and we are small. God is

unlimited and we are limited. The quality is the same but the quantity is

differernt.

If everything is one and there's no individuality or personality and no God as

the Scientific Spirituality page claims then ours is a very bleak future. If we

analyse our lives now and search out the source of pleasure it comes from our

individuality and our relationship with other individuals. Without

individuality there is no scope for any activity or relationships and without

activity and relationships there is no "rasa" (taste or mellow). But the soul

is eternally searching out this rasa, here in the material world we are trying

to find it in the perverted reflection of mundane relationships and mental

speculation, but the real spiritual rasa is with Krishna, God. When we

reestablish our original, eternal relationship with God then we can taste real

transcendental bliss and that is what we are looking for...

In this age it is a very simple thing to achieve.

             nama cintamanih krsnas

                caitanya-rasa-vigraha

             purnah suddho nitya-mukto

                'bhinnatvan nama-naminoh

"The holy name of Krishna is transcendentally blissful. It bestows all

spiritual benedictions, for it is Krishna Himself, the reservoir of all

pleasure. Krishna's name is complete, and it is the form of all transcendental

mellows. It is not a material name under any condition, and it is no less

powerful than Krishna Himself. Since Krishna's name is not contaminated by the

material qualities, and there is no question of its being involved with maya,

Krishna's name is always liberated and spiritual; it is never conditioned by

the laws of material nature. This is because the name of Krishna and Krishna

Himself are completely spiritual." (Padma Purana)

              tasmat sankirtanam visnor

                  jagan-mangalam amhasam

              mahatam api kauravya

                  viddhy aikantika-niskrtam

"My dear King, the chanting of the holy names of the Lord is able to uproot

even the reactions of the greatest sins. Therefore the chanting of the

sankirtana movement is the most auspicious activity in the universe. Please try

to understand this so that others will take it seriously..."

Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Chant Hare Krishna and be happy!