Why are the Hindus are Confused about Krishna?

>i've got a question,  me and my whole family follow the teachings of Hare

>Krishna, however, i was never really educated on many aspects of the

>philosophy.  i was never really educated because my parents didn't really

>know how to put it in words as to where i would understand.  anyways, how

>do we take on death, and the afterlife.  i'd like to know what we are

>supposed to believe about that.

>thank you,

Dear Baiju

Hello. Hare Krishna! All glories to Srila Prabhupada!!

I have met many, Indians in the same position as you. In fact it would

seem to be a very very high percentage. Before I joined the Hare Krishna

movement I was a little curious as to what Hindus believed so I went on a

Student Exhange Program to India and everyone I met I asked them to tell

me what they believed in, but none could. It's not that they couldn't

speak English, it was a Rotary program so the families we were staying

with were very wealthy and educated also... But none of them could

explain what they believed in. They all had faith and went to the temple

regularly of course.

It's beause no one is presenting the clear message of Krishna in India,

or for that matter anywhere, at the moment. Everyone is presenting his

own ideas and concoctions and passing it off as Krishna's message. As a

result the Hindu people in general are completely confused and have no

idea what to believe. Even if they are very scholarly they are almost

always mayavadis, they don't believe Krishna is supreme. Of course they

will say, "Krishna is God", but in their heart they want to be god, to

become one with god... So they say Krishna is not the ultimate, the

Brahman is ultimate... So everyone is confused.

The great fortune is His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

has translated all the main Vedic scriptures, "as they are". He has not

injected his own ideas, he has just presented Krishna's ideas and he has

done it in very clear and easy to understand English. So clear that even

we, born in the melecha-desh as meat eaters and in a society where

everyone is taking drugs and alcohol and having sex life with anyone and

everyone, can understand them.

Prabhupada's books are so potent and purifying that through this ocean of

maya we can see the light of Krishna quite clearly. Prabhupada explains

it so nicely and he has shown by his own life the perfect example of a

devotee. Srila Prabhupada not only wrote the books, but he would

regularly read them as well. Once a devotee asked him, "Why are you

reading your own books?", Prabhupada replied, "I have not written these

books, Krishna has written them.". Srila Prabhupada wrote on his arrival

to the US in 1965:

"How will I make them understand this message of Krishna consciousness? I

am very unfortunate, unqualified and the most fallen therefore I am

seeking your benediction so that I can convince them. I am powerless to

do so on my own.

"Somehow or other, O Lord, You have brought me here to speak about You.

Now my Lord, it is up to You to make me a success or a failure as You

like.

"O spiritual master of all the worlds, I can simply repeat Your messages,

so if

You like You can make my power of speaking suitable for their

understanding. Only by Your causeless mercy will my words become pure.

"I am sure that when this transcendental message penetrates their hearts

they

will certainly feel gladdened and thus become liberated from all unhappy

conditions of life.

"O Lord, I am just like a puppet in Your hands, so if You have brought me

here to dance, make me dance, make me dance my Lord. Make me dance as You

like."

Srila Prabhupada is a pure devotee of Krishna, a soul completely

surrendered to Krishna, a real bonafide spiritual master. If we want to

know the truth we require a real bonafide spiritual master:

                          tad viddhi pranipatena

                            pariprasnena sevaya

                          upadeksyanti te jnanam

                         jnaninas tattva-darsinah

   "Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master.

Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him. The

self-realized soul can impart knowledge unto you because he has seen the

truth." (Bhagavad-gita 4.34)

There are so many ordinary men now in the "guru business", even in ISKON.

They beome a "guru" for fame, followers, profit and distinction. You will

never find the truth from such a guru, however many people are looking

for a cheating guru. They want some "swmaji" to call "guru" who will not

upset their program of sense gratification. But a real guru is "heavy". A

real guru will only initiate disciples who are following the regulative

principles: no illicit sex, no meat eating, no gambling and no

intoxication. Not only that but a real guru teaches the real thing, that

we are servants of Krishna, all our activities should be carried out for

Krishna's pleasure. So it means a completely different outlook on the

world, a completely different lifestyle.  The materialists look at

everything form the point of view of their own, or their families

pleasure. But a devotee of Krishna sees everything in connetion with

Krishna, how it can be used to give Krishna pleasure.

The amazing thing is if we stop working for our own pleasure and spend

all our time and energy working for Krishna's and Srila Prabhupada's

pleasure we become very blissful. I have personally experienced it over

the past 10 years. I am nowadays very happy and peaceful. I know my

business is to serve Srila Prabhupada and Krishna and I just go on with

that as best I can in whatever situation I find myself and I have

discovered that one can be very happy and satisfied in any position in

this way.

The main thing is to hear from and associate with a real bonafide

spiritual master. The only way one can understand Krishna consciousness

is be pleasing a pure devotee of Krishna. One can't get it by himself. So

the best way to hear from and associate with a pure devotee is to read

Srila Prabhupada's books and to hear his lecture tapes. I would very

strongly advise this. The answers you are looking for are in Srila

Prabhupada's books. So get them and read them very seriously. That is my

advice.

Thank you very much for your letter, if I can be of any more assistance

please write. Chant Hare Krishna and be happy!!

Madhudvisa dasa

PS: You might like to read the article on "Changing Bodies" at:

        /a017.html