Dangers of Meat Eating / Cow Killing

Dear Sherry

Hello, Hare Krishna!

Thanks for visiting the Sudarsana site and sending some mail. The

vegetarian info came from a vegetarian cook book called "The Higher

Taste" published by the Hare Krishna movement. I don't have it with me

now but I know the reports quoted are a little old, I think late 70's.

It's probably much worse now but you would be in a better position to

research that than me as your family is "in the business".

It is hard to understand why it's not good to kill animals if you're

eating them. I was a meat-eater before I joined the Hare Krishna's and I

couldn't understand vegetarians at all.

I started reading Srila Prabhupada's [the spiritual master of the Hare

Krishna movement] books and was interested in the philosophy and I

started visiting the Hare Krishna restaurants and eating "prasadam",

vegetarian food cooked for Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead

with love and devotion. The Hare Krishna's cook for Krishna, not

ourselves. After the food is offered to Krishna we distribute "Krishna

prasadam" (Krishna's mercy) to everyone. So it's a different

consciousness altogether. The consciousness of the cook affects the food

and when it's cooked by a pure devotee and offered to Krishna it becomes

completely spiritual.

So anyhow, as a result of reading Srila Prabhupada's books and eating

prasadam I automatically became a vegetarian because I only want to eat

food that has first been offered to Krishna and Krishna doesn't eat meat.

He only eats foods in the mode of goodness: grains, milk products,

vegetables and fruits. So I'm not a vegetarian because meat is bad for

me, I'm actually not a vegetarian, I'm a Krishnatarian, only eating food

that Krishna has tasted...

So whatever justification you have for eating meat it doesn't matter to

us because Krishna doesn't eat it, actually Krishna says "go brahmana

hitaya ca", it means Krishna is the best friend of the cows and the

saintly people. So if you kill cows you are killing Krishna's [God's]

best friends, it's a very great sin and now the whole world is suffering

so much bad karma [reactions] for cow-killing on such a massive scale. It

is a science unknown to the Westerners, if the cows and the bulls are

kept happy and the saintly men are protected the world will be a very

comfortable place, but if the cows and bulls are not protected and the

saintly men are not protected the world will be just like hell...

   "They are sending animals to the slaughterhouse, and now they'll

create their own slaughterhouse. [Imitating gunfire:] Tung! Tung! Kill!

Kill! You see? Just take Belfast, for example. The Roman Catholics are

killing the Protestants, and the Protestants are killing the Catholics.

This is nature's law. It's not necessary that you be sent to the ordinary

slaughterhouse. You'll make a slaughterhouse at home. You'll kill your

own child--abortion. This is nature's law. Who are these children being

killed? They are these meat-eaters. They enjoyed themselves when so many

animals were killed, and now they're being killed by their mothers.

People do not know how nature is working. If you kill, you must be

killed. If you kill the cow, who is your mother, then in some future

lifetime your mother will kill you. Yes. The mother becomes the child,

and the child becomes the mother.Mam sa khadatiti mamsah. The Sanskrit

word is mamsa. Mam means "me," and sa means "he." I am killing this

animal; I am eating him. And in my next lifetime he'll kill me and eat

me. When the animal is sacrificed, this mantra is recited into the ear of

the animal--"You are giving your life, so in your next life you will get

the opportunity of becoming a human being. And I who am now killing you

will become an animal, and you will kill me." So after understanding this

mantra, who will be ready to kill an animal?

Bhagavan dasa Gosvami: Many people today are discussing this topic of

reincarnation, but they don't understand the significance of the

effects--

Srila Prabhupada: How will they understand? All dull-headed fools and

rascals, dressed like gentlemen. That's all. Tavac ca sobhate murkho

yavat kincin na bhasate. A rascal, a fool, is prestigious as long as he

does not speak. As soon as he speaks, his nature will be revealed--what

he really is. Therefore that priest who came did not stay long. He did

not want to expose himself." (from "Journey to Self-Discovery" 6.2 by His

Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)