Buddhists are Atheists

93602024@np.ac.sg (Ming Woei) wrote:

>In article <shingleton.2.112.2FB2B28F@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
>The Snake <shingleton.2@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>>I've thought about the religion thing many many times. I consider myself to an
>>open minded inividual. I don't believe in a God of any sort, so I guess that
>>would make me an athiest, or agnostic. I don't think that a person's
>>consciesness(sp?) ceases to exist when the body dies though. I'm not saying
>>that there's a heaven or hell, perhaps just another state of being that our
>>minds transcend to. The next step in evolution maybe? What a person makes of
>>this next state may determine if it's a "heaven" or a "hell"
>>
>> - Snake...
>>

>Yes I share the same ideas as you.
>I call myself an atheist.

  There are many atheists who believe in a separate body and "self". If
  one is intelligent he cannot accept the "Life from Chemicals" scenario.

  The biggest group of atheists who have a conception of a "self" that
  continues is the Buddhists. They don't have any concept of "God", they
  accept the "Buddha" as an ordinary person who has simply uncovered his
  "Buddha Nature" and they can also uncover their own "Buddha Nature" and
  become just as good as the master. This is the reason Buddhism is
  becoming quite popular in the West. It provides a philosophy much less
  childish than the "big bang" and still it allows one to remain an
  atheist!

  It's very nice... You can have all sorts of in-depth philosophical
  discussions but still not have to believe in God.

  We glorify our spiritual master, His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta
  Swami Prabhupada with the words, "nivesha sunyavadi pasyata desha..".
  "All glories to you who have come to the Western countries to
  annihilate the impersonal ["It's all one"] and voidist [Buddhist]
  philosophies and in their place establish Bhakti-yoga, pure love for
  Krishna."

  So we don't accept the Buddhist's philosophy, but it is more
  intelligent than the "big bang" or "evolution"...

  "The teacher of the Buddhist cult set forth nine principles, but Sri
  Caitanya Mahaprabhu broke them to pieces with His strong logic. All
  mental speculators and learned scholars were defeated by Sri Caitanya
  Mahaprabhu, and when the people began to laugh, the Buddhist
  philosophers felt both shame and fear. The Buddhists could understand
  that Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was a Vaisnava, and they returned
  home very unhappy. Later, however, they began to plot against the Lord.

  "Having made their plans the Buddhists brought a plate of untouchable
  food before Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and called it maha-prasad
  [remnants of food spiritualised by being offered to Krishna].

  "When the contaminated food was offered to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, a
  very large bird appeared on the spot, picked up the plate in its beak
  and flew away. Indeed, the untouchable food fell upon the Buddhists,
  and the large bird dropped the plate on the head of the chief Buddhist
  teacher. When it fell on his head it made a big sound. The plate was
  made of metal and when its edge hit the head of the teacher, it cut
  him, amd the teacher immediately fell to the ground unconscious.

  "When the teacher fell unconscious, his Buddhist disciples cried aloud
  and ran to the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu for shelter. They
  all prayed to Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, addressing Him as the
  Supreme Personality of Godhead and saying, "Sir, please excuse our
  offense. Please have mercy upon us and bring our spiritual master back
  to life.

  "Then the Lord replied to the Buddhist disciples: 'You should all chant
  the names of Krishna and Hari very loudly near the ear of your
  spiritual master. By this method your spiritual master will regain his
  consciousness.' Following Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's advice all the
  Buddhist disciples began to chant the holy name of Krishna
  congregationally.

  "When all the disciples chanted the names Krishna, Rama and Hari, the
  Buddhist teacher regained consciousness and immediately began to chant
  the name of Hari. When the spiritual master of the Buddhistss began to
  chant the holy name of Krishna and submitted to Lord Sri Caitanya
  Mahaprabhu, all the people who were gathered there were astonished..."

              (Sri Caitanya-caritamrta Madhya-lila 9.51-63)

  Hare Krishna!

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!

Follow-Ups: References: