Yes. It Is Sinful to Kill Plants as Well...

pchienjr@uclink.berkeley.edu (Peter C Chien Jr) wrote:

>What a crock of shit.  I think when you associate your religious beliefs

>with something as secularly practiced as veganism, you turn off a lot of

>people.  Including me.

We are definately not vegans! It has been said so many times. And karma is

not a religious  belief. It is the same law science is aware of that

states for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. They know

it works when you bounce a ball off the ground, but they don't know the

reaction is also there for all activities. Karma is a fact of life.

> I don't believe in Krishna.

That doesn't matter. I may not believe in the Pacific Ocean but does that

mean the Pacific Ocean doesn't exist?

>  Therefore I don't

>believe in your theories.  Besides, has it ever occurred to you that

>plants are life forms as well?  If you eat them, then you are a

>hypocrite.

Yes. It is sinful to kill plants as well. There are two points here. The

first and most important one is devotees are not cooking for themselves,

we cook for Krishna, so we prepare the foods He likes to eat from grains,

milk products, vegetables and fruits, then we offer them to Him. The

result is prasadam, or Krishna's mercy. So there is no karma involved at

all. Service to Krishna is completely transcendental. So those people who

are vegetarians, but who prepare food for themselves are also not free

from all sinful reactions. Only when the food is prepared with love and

offered to Krishna is it transcendental.

The other point is most vegetarian foods can be collected without killing

the plant. In the case of fruit and many vegetables you just pick the

fruit. It doesn't kill the plant. In other cases (such as grains) the

plant dies after producing the grain and therefore harvesting the grain is

not killing the plant.

>There is this plant called the acacian bush, that upon being

>eaten by an herbivore, secretes ascissic acid, which in turn acts a

>signal to other plants nearby to secrete tannins.  Tannins are

>unpalatable compounds to animals.  Seems like self-defense to me,

>indicating the possibility of sentience.  What do you say to that?  The

>only *true* lifeanism in diet is eating fruits and milk and decomposing

>carcasses (like vultures do it).

Yes. Plants are conscious too. There is no difference between the

spirit-soul in a plant and you. You are in human consciousness so you have

a human body, the plant is in plant consciousness so it has a plant

body... You can also take a plant's body and the soul in the plant's body

will gradually evolve through the species of life until it comes to a

human body.