Description of Manvantara and Pralaya?

In article <D77p7M.J5w@crash.cts.com>,
roosen@crash.cts.com (Robert Roosen) wrote:
> 	Here is an excellent description of the Narlikar/Burbidge
> cosmology.  I would appreciate elaboration on the points of manvantara
> and pralaya, and whether the material universe dissolves after the tenth
> and final incarnation of Vishnu.

Dear Robert,

   I have tried to answer your first question about manvantara (the
   life-time of one Manu) and pralaya (the devastation of the
   universe) in another posting. Now what about the incarnations of
   Vishnu and the dissolution of the universe?

   Firstly although, in India, ten incarnations of Visnu are
   especially well known and these incarnations have been glorified by
   the poet Srila Jayadeva Gosvami in his "Dasavatara-stotra", there
   are not only ten incarnations. These ten are only a small sample.
   Vishnu is unlimited and His incarnations are also unlimited.

             yada-yada he dharmasya glanir bhavati bharata
             abhyutthanam adharmasya tadatmanam srjamy aham

"Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O
descendant of Bharata [Arjuna], and a predominant rise of irreligion--
at that time I descend Myself." Bhagavad-gita 4.7.

   Here are some of Srila Jayadeva Gosvami's descriptions of Vishnu's
   incarnations:

   "O Kesava! O Lord of the universe! O Lord Hari, who have assumed the
   form of a fish! All glories to You! You easily acted as a boat in
   the form of a giant fish just to give protection to the Vedas,
   which had become immersed in the turbulent sea of devastation.

   "O Kesava! O Lord of the universe! O Lord Hari, who have assumed the
   form of a boar! All Glories to You! The earth, which has become
   immersed in the Garbhodaka Ocean at the bottom of the universe,
   sits fixed upon Your tusk like a spot upon the moon.

   "O Kesava! O Lord of the universe! O Lord Hari, who have assumed the
   form of a half-man, half-lion! All glories to You! Just as one can
   easily crush a wasp between one's fingernails, so in the same way
   the body of the wasplike demon Hiranyakasipu has been ripped apart
   by the wonderful nails on Your beautiful lotus hands.

   "O Kesava! O Lord of the universe! O Lord Hari, who have assumed the
   form of a dwarf-brahmana! All glories to You! O wonderful dwarf, by
   Your massive steps You deceive King Bali, and by the Ganges water
   that has emanated from the nails of Your lotus feet, You deliver
   all living beings within this world.

   "O Kesava! O Lord of the universe! O Lord Hari, who have assumed the
   form of Lord Balarama, the wielder of the plough! All glories to
   You! On Your brilliant white body You wear garments the colour of a
   fresh blue rain-cloud. These garments are coloured like the
   beautiful dark-blue hue of the River Yamuna, who feels great fear
   due to the striking of Your ploughshare.

   "O Kesava! O Lord of the universe! O Lord Hari, who have assumed the
   form Kalki! All Glories to You. You appear like a comet and carry a
   terrifying sword for bringing the annihilation of the wicked
   barbarian men at the end of the Kali-yuga."

   It is this last incarnation, Kalkli, who you have referred to as
   the "last" incarnation of Visnu. He is certainly the last
   incarnation within this particular kalpa, He will appear at the end
   of this age, Kali-yuga, just prior to it's end and kill all the
   sinful men to enable a new Satya-yuga or "Golden Age" to be ushered
   in. But Vishnu will continue to incarnate on schedule and when
   required. This is such a big topic.... one could write many books
   about it.... There are five different types of incarnations....
   (for more details I suggest you make a serious study of the "Srimad
   Bhagavatam" translated by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami
   Prabhupada. It is published by The Bhaktivedanta Book Trust.)