Re: Telling Lies for God - The Science if the Bible

Dear Glen,

   I have written you a reply but I did not directly reply to your letter
   so, since you have gone to the trouble of writing it, I should reply to
   it.

   Today I saw some photo's of spiral nebula (I think) on the WWW. It
   struck me that this spiral motion is similar to what happens to the
   water when I pull out the plug in the bath. Could not the same force be
   at work? If there is a force out there strong enough to cause whatever
   it is out there to form that spiral pattern (it must be fairly general
   because I saw about 10 photo's which all looked the same... presumably
   they are scattered around in various places in the universe) then surely
   the same force must also be here on earth. Why could it not be this
   universal spiraling force which is causing my bath water to behave in
   the same way and your pendulum to rotate?

   The next logical question is are these spiraling things seen in both the
   Northern and Southern hemispheres? If so do they rotate in opposite
   directions. If they do would it not be logical to assume there must be
   somewhere where the clockwise and anticlockwise forces balance out (ie:
   the equator).

> In order you explain the vedic system you have to introduce hitherto unknown
> "forces".
> These "forces" affect a plane flying in the sky, but dont affect a car 1000
> feet below it.  > > > >

   If the plane is flying in the sky it's movement is clearly different and
   [at least physically] independent to the earth. It should be affected by
   this "spiraling force" because it's just another object floating in
   space. In the stationary earth scenario the plane would be moved in an
   east-west direction with the stars and planets while the earth remained
   stationary below.

   The car is clearly different. It has it's wheels firmly on the
   stationary earth. The force must, of course, affect the car in some way,
   but it is conceivably insignificant in comparison to the gravitational
   force holding the car to the ground.

> I dont think you meant to type "solar winds".
> Real solar winds are fairly well understood by science and dont act in the
> mystical ways you describe, being merely particles emitted from the sun.
> (which incidentally dont make it to the surface of the earth, and even if
> they did, they still only radiate in a direction outward from the sun.)

   I'm just typing what it says in the Srimad Bhagavatam and it says "Solar
   Winds", maybe it is a different concept from yours, but it also says
   they are driven by the sun. And particles from the sun do reach the
   earth. Unless photons of light were traveling from the sun to the earth
   we couldn't see it! That's the whole idea of looking into the sky and
   seeing into the past. We are seeing the photons of light emitted from
   the sun and other heavenly bodies some time in the past.

   They may only radiate in an outward direction from the sun but remember
   in the Vedic model the sun is moving. It moves 360 degrees above the
   equator every 24 hours with all the other planets and stars and it also
   has its own independent movement which takes it through the 12
   constellations in 12 months (ie: 360 degrees through all the
   constellations) That's what your sun-sign means in astrology. I was born
   on November 17th and it so happens that the sun is in the constellation
   of Scorpio at that time of the year.

> the pendulum is, more or less, a body in space like the sun or any other
> heavenly body so the same forces act on it.) >
>> "more or less" is a bit vague.
>> Tell me why a very measurable force is acting on the pendulum, while at the
>> same time _no_ force is acting on a stationary pendulum bob sitting on a
>> pair of scales 10 feet away.

   I'm sorry about my unscientific language. You can't compare a swinging
   pendulum with a bob on your scales. By suspending the bob and swinging
   it you eliminate lots of the gravitational force which is causing the
   other one to sit on the scales. Undoubtedly it is also effected by the
   same force but gravity is overcoming it.

> > Perhaps you might clear up this point:   Is the air part of the fixed earth
> > or the rotating universe?
> > If it is part of the rotating universe, then please clear up what is moved
> > around by the "forces" you introduce, and what is not.
> > You say the earth itself isn't influenced, but the air and a pendulum bob on
> > a string is...   so why isnt a weight on a desk influenced as well?

   You have to get the idea that the earth is fixed. Fixed means fixed!
   It's joined up to something which very solidly anchors it in one place.
   If you have a ship and you throw out the anchor and tie it to the wharf
   with lots of ropes it is fixed. It's not going to float out to sea even
   if the current is pulling it. So undoubtedly these forces act on
   everything, but if something is solidly "fixed" in one place it remains
   "fixed". The air is clearly not fixed in the same way so it moves. But
   there are other things involved in the movement of the air. You have
   mentioned the updraft at the equator, etc, etc, etc. The pendulum I
   already talked about. The weight on the desk IS influenced but the
   influence is not strong enough to overcome gravity.

> In the Vedic model as soon as the aircraft enters the sky it becomes
> another body which rotates with the universe. This gives it relative motion
> But the pendulum is still attached to the ground by string.
> How does the universe "decide" whether or not to influence the object?

   It doesn't "decide", it influences everything, but if something is being
   held down by gravity or is fixed in some way that force is stronger so
   how can it move? I'm sure you can see an oscillating pendulum on a
   string is more prone to be affected by some external force than a bob on
   the desk. Even a strong gust of wind will throw the pendulum of course
   while not [at least not visibly] effecting the one on the desk.

> As you say, trains moving at constant speed dont have any effect on the
> ball, but this isn't how a rotating earth works.
> Angular acceleration,found in all rotating objects from centrifuges to
> planets, is acceleration, real and measurable.    The object may indeed be
> turning at a constant "revs per minute" but something sitting on the edge is
> indeed undergoing acceleration.  > A vector, not a scalar.
>
> To make you _real_ happy I'll modify that train analogy into a slightly more
> correct one - whereby the two trains are on a curve in the track.
>
> The one that moves on the curve will throw the tennis ball under a
  seat..  > not down the aisle.

  That one on the curved track is the earth rotating? Right? I have a
  tennis ball here [wait a second]. I've just put it down on the rotating
  earth which has "real measurable angular acceleration" (just like the
  train going around the bend) But it's just sitting there! It's not
  rolling under my chair! Something wrong here I think.

   PS: I'm still interested in satellites. Your last answer was more or
   less what everybody I've ever asked said. But I really want to know what
   orbits are possible. You said you don't know of any going west-east, but
   is it possible to do such a thing? I suspect not. Also I suspect you
   can't put them up going North-South. But nobody seems to know... And
   what about over Antartica? Somebody told me they could and somebody else
   told me they couldn't. I've also looked for information in books but
   never really found anything substantial. What about gyro-synchronizes
   orbits? How does it work? Do they actually just sit there or do they
   move a bit?  And where are they exactly?

   Thanks for the letter, it gave me a chance to think about things I
   probably would have missed otherwise. Looking forward to hearing from
   you again.

   Thank you. Hare Krishna.

--

Madhudvisa dasa          |
                         |   S H E L T E R   I N T E R N A T I O N A L

      I am the original fragrance of the earth, I am the heat in fire...