Krishna Book Reading and Hot Milk in Evenings

>From: susarla@owlnet.rice.edu
>
>In article <3o8tg2$kn8@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>,
>   mpt@mail.utexas.edu (michael tandy) wrote:
>>
>>	"krsna krsna krsna krsna krsna krsna krsna he,
>>	krsna krsna krsna krsna krsna krsna krsna he,
>>	krsna krsna krsna krsna krsna krsna raksa mam,
>>	krsna krsna krsna krsna krsna krsna pahi mam,
>>	rama raghava rama raghava rama raghava raksa mam,
>>	krsna kesava krsna kesava krsna kesava pahi mam"
>>

>This is one of my favorite verses, especially as it is sung on the New York
>Kirtans tape.
>
>Does anyone know what 'pahi mam' means?

   krsna-Lord Krishna; he-O; raksa-please protect; mam-me; pahi-please
   maintain; rama-Lord Rama; raghava-descendant of King Raghu;
   kesava-killer of the Kesi demon.

   O Lord Krishna, please protect and manitain me.
   O Lord Rama, descendant of King Raghu, please protect me.
   O Krishna, O Kesava, killer of the Kesi demon, please maintain me.

   (CC mad 7.96)

   I like it very much too. When I was on the bhakta program at
   Bhaktivedanta Mannor we used to sing it every night before reading the
   Krishna book with some hot milk. I'd almost forgotten about it but I
   have started doing it again and the Krishna book is SO NICE!

   I just read about Krishna and Balarama killing the Pralambasura
   demon.

   There is a very nice description of Vrndavana The summer season was just
   starting. Prabhupada said in India summer is not liked very much but in
   Vrndavana people didn't mind because summer was just like spring.  There
   were birds chirping, the beautiful sound coming from the waterfalls was
   in the air so no one could hear the crickets.  Everything was very green
   and beautiful.  There are trees and flowers, the peacocks are there, the
   bees are humming. Vrndavana is such a nice place.

   Krishna and Balarama are there with their cowheard friends and the cows
   and calves enjoying the beautiful atmosphere. Then the Pralambasura
   demon came along. He wanted to take away Krishna and Balarama. Krishna
   knew what was going on, being the Supreme Personality of Godhead He is
   present within everyone's heart, but he welcomed Pralambasura as a
   friend.

   Krishna asked the demon to play with them. They played a game where they
   divided into pairs and challenged each other. The defeated cowheard boys
   had to carry the victorious ones on their backs.

   Pralambasura really didn't like his chances with Krishna so he fought
   with Balarama. When Balarama defeated him he had to carry Balarama on
   his back. He took this opportunity to take Balarama well away from the
   other boys in the forest. Pralambasura wasn't really a cowheard boy, he
   was a great demon, he had just assumed the form of a cowherd boy to
   kidnap Krishna and Balarama. Now that he had Balarama he began to assume
   his real form. Balarama then understood He was being carried away from
   His friends by this demon so He hit Pralambasura on his head with His
   fist. The demon immediately died and blood came out of his mouth. When
   the demon died there was a very loud sound so Krishna and the cowheard
   boys came running to see what had happened.  When the say the huge demon
   lying dead on the ground they congratulated Balarama and were very
   happy.

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!