Re: When the Universe was Dark - Hardcore/Punk Thread

avan@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony Paul Van Groningen) wrote:

>Madhudvisa dasa        (madhudvisa@krishna.org) wrote:
>:

>:                      WHEN THE UNIVERSE WAS DARK...
>:                      =============================

>:    The Western scientific  view, primarily stemming  from the work of
>:    Albert Einstein,  favours  a  world  developed as  a  result  of a
>:    completely random  process  with  no intelligence  behind  it. His
>:    theory that all  matter can be  turned into energy  and all energy
>:    turned into matter  has formed the  basis of all  Western ideas on
>:    the origins of the universe.

>	This is a complete misrepresenation of Einstein's views. Beside
> being an important Jewish activist, Einstein argued to his death that
> "God does not play dice." Implying, 1) that there is a god (hence not
> meaningless), and 2) that it is not "random"(a very ambigious word in
> my opion).

  Yes Einstein was a religious man, but this is his theory [it's not my
  idea I took it from an elementary science book so argue with the
  scientists not me!]

>:    One commonly held belief, developed  in light of Einstein's theory
>:    is the  "Big  Bang  Theory".  This theory  maintains  that  a huge
>:    explosion about 5  billion years  ago created all  the material in
>					   ^^^^^^
>	Not Quite true, the matter and energy existed, before the big
> bang, if there was such a time. The bang did not create the matter,
> it only created space as the matter and enrgy expanded into the universe
> of today. Scientist cannot predict what happened in the first 10^-12
> seconds, so this is the only possible place for theology.

  Once again, "This is not my idea." I accept Krishna's ideas but,
  although there is no agreement among the scientists, there are so many
  different "big bang" theories, scientists generally believe the matter
  did not exist [as matter] before the "big bang" but was produced as a
  result of the big bang. For the record Krishna agrees with you. He says
  before the creation matter existed in an unmanifested form, called the
  "pradhana". This pradhana was agitated by Krishna's glance and the
  creation started. I suppose you could call Krishna's glance a "big
  bang" if you really wanted to...

>:    the universe. The theory  is there, but any  good theory should be
>:    backed up by  practical experience. If  it is a  fact the universe
>:    emerged from  a  "big  bang"  then we  should  see  similar things
>:    happening in nature.	   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>	Why???? Nothing guarentees that.

  Look around you. Everywhere things are working in the same way on
  different scales.

>:    We have recently  seen one scientist,  Mandelbrot, who stunned the
>:    scientific world with  his "fractals". He  showed complex patterns
>:    could be  generated from  fairly simple  mathematical equations if
>:    these equations are  repeated over and  over again. He  made a big
>:    thing out of similarity at  different levels. He noticed in nature
>:    things we see on a  big scale are repeated  on a smaller scale and
>:    then on an  even smaller scale  and so on. There  is similarity at
>:    every level. He gave two examples: the coastline and the branching
>:    structure of a tree.  In both cases  you can look  at any level of
>:    magnification and the structure is essentially the same.

>:    If we accept  this work of  Mandelbrot we would expect  to see the
>:    process of universal  creation mirrored on  a smaller scale within
>:    our experience.

>	Again, Why is this neccessary???

  It's not necessary but it's Mandelbrot's theory which is fairly well
  accepted in scientific circles at the moment. (as for me I just believe
  Krishna...)

>:    If the  hypothesis of  similarity at  different scales  is to hold
>:    true we would expect  the universal creation to  be similar to any
>:    other creation  we  experience in  our  day-to-day lives,  but the
>:    Western scientists explanation  of creation  is completely foreign
>:    to us.

>:    If the universe  was created by  a "big bang" then  why couldn't a
>:    child be created by a "small bang"? A child is essentially a self-
>:    contained universe so  his creation  should be similar  to that of
>:    the universal creation.
>
>	This is silly! Why does everything have to be analogous???

  Things do work in similar ways in nature just look around you. If there
  was no consistency within the universe none of the scientific
  principals would work. So creation should also be consistent no matter
  what is being created. A child is a small universe so the conception
  of a child is the creation of a small universe. It's not just an
  analogy.

>:    I challenge  the scientists  to prove  their "big  bang" theory by
>:    creating anything  (They should  be  able to  create a  child, but
>:    failing that  they  could create  a  city,  a building  or  even a
>:    motorcar) with an  explosion. The  idea is  actually ludicrous, we
>:    have  no  experience  anywhere   of  an  explosion  ever  creating
>:    anything, explosions  destroy things.  Instead of  creating order,
>:    they create  disorder.  This  "big bang"  theory  can't  be simply
>:    accepted on  the basis  of sentiment,  they have  to give  us some
>:    proof.

>	Of course we have never seen an explosion creating anything!

  Except the big bang which created the universe???

> That is the very basis of modern physics: Matter and energy can
> neither be created or destroyed. Remember in the intro you refrence
> Einsteins e=mc^2. If you think about what is said, you'll see the flaw
> in this argument. It ask scientists to prove the BBT by creating something
> yet this violates the very principles the theory rests on. In other
> words your asking scientist to prove something by disproving it!!!!

  No. Not at all. The big bang theory doesn't violate the laws of physics
  as you have said. The idea is it turns energy [where did the energy
  come from anyhow?] into mass. So you have plenty of energy stored up in
  dynamite or atomic bombs, I'm just asking you to turn it into something
  practical using the same process you say produced the universe.

>	There is ample support and proof for the BBT theory and its
> various version (and I note that it is not the only theory it does have
> limitations). One for example is the expansion of the universe (Hubble
> theory). Just take some time at the library, and you'll find tons of
> evidence for the BBT. Try reading "A Brief History of Time", by Steven
> Hawkings. It's a good intro into cosomology.

  First of all which particular big bang theory do you say there is
  "ample support and proof" for?. As you say there are lots of them, at
  most only one of them could be correct. There is some apparent evidence
  to support an expanding universe (red shifts, etc) but that is subject
  to interpretation also.

>:    You  have  probably   (like  myself  before   I  came  to  Krishna
>:    consciousness) blindly  accepted the  vague ramblings  on the "big
>				           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>	Yeah?!? Vauge to you maybe, because you more than likely haven't
> taken the time to understand it (in no way do I imply that I understand
> it completey).

  No scientist understands the creation. How can they? They weren't there
  and it was a long time ago. The evidence is pretty thin now. If it
  isn't a vague theory why haven't they been able to formulate it into
  something that there is at least some agreement with among the
  scientists?

> Physics is a very precise science, expressed in the
> language of math, not english or Sanskrit. Mathematics does not leave
> room for vaugeness. It is your argument that is vauge.

  Krishna consciousness is a very precise science but I'm not so sure
  about physics, particularly not "new physics". It is very
  speculative...

>:    bang" without  really  giving  it  a second  thought,  but  if you
>:    analyse the theory it's  not at all plausible.  I have since heard
>					 ^^^^^^^^^
>	Perhaps a  little more justification would be order here, or
> are you trying to take advantage of reader ignorance?

  Of course we have only so much space to explain things and you can't
  explain everything in one go. Anyhow I'm not so interested in analysing
  the big bang theory in great detail, I'm suggesting you do it to so you
  can understand it's not plausible. It's not really a even a theory.
  You can explain a good scientific theory in a way that covers all the
  observed evidence, but such a statement can't be formed for the big
  bang theory.

>:    another explanation of  the creation  of the universe  which is at
>:    least as amazing  as the  "big bang"  theory but  it is completely
>:    reasonable and it is mirrored on a smaller scale in our day-to-day
>:    experience.

>:    The universal knowledge we  currently have has  come to us through
>:    the limited  perceptions of  scientists who's  universal vision is
>:    not much more valuable than the vision a frog in a well has of the
>:    universe. The frog  has spent  his whole life  at the  bottom of a
>:    well three feet wide  but he has developed  so much philosophy, he
>:    thinks his  universal vision  is perfect,  but what  does he know?
>:    Similarly  the   scientists,  with   their  telescopes   and  tiny
>:    spaceships haven't seen much  more of the  universe than the frog,

>	In fact, with Radio telescopes, we have seen a great deal of
> space (I forget the actual range). Even just looking up with the naked
> eye show's light from stars from great distances. These analogies are
> wearing thin; scientists are not frogs.

  Dr. Frog could also install a radio telescope in his well but would it
  improve his world view very much?

>:    but they have  come up  with so  many "scientific  facts". I would
>:    like you to,  at least theoretically,  consider that reality might
>:    be completely different from what we accept.

>	That is a popular misconception, that science comes up with facts.
> In truth, science only hopes to make models of the universe we live in.
> In the public eye these may be facts, but never to the scientist.

  Exactly. Just what I am trying to explain.

>:    If we want  to understand  the cosmic creation  we need  to get an
>:    eyewitness report. If  we want  to find  out the  structure of the
>:    universe we have to find someone who  has seen it, what is the use
>:    of a so-called scientist who can only say: "Perhaps it may be like
>:    this."
>
>	Need I remind you of the computer that you sent this on. That is
> one of the needs. Without those little frogs in a well which you
> ridicule so much, we wouldn't be having this dialog. No light, phone
> tv.... Perhaps, these things are inherently evil or some shit like
> that.

  No. I have never said science is evil. If they go to the trouble of
  making computers then it's good because we can us them for Krishna.
  But life was going on quite nicely before we had tv and computers. You
  don't need these things actually but because you have made them we can
  use them for Krishna. That makes your effort worthwhile.

>:    It is not  that the earth  is the only planet  inhabited by living
>:    entities,  the  living  entities   are  everywhere.  If  we  apply
>:    Mandelbrot's theory we would expect  to find similar things on all
>:    the planets.

>	Here you use Mandelbrot's theory both against science, and for
> your own subjective view of the universe. It's not fair, how come
> you get to use it and I don't!

  It's a good theory and it works in this particular instance, isn't that
  the scientific process?

>:    We have eyewitness  reports from people  who are not  tied down to
>:    this tiny planet.  There are  people who can  travel freely within
>:    the universe  at will  and  one such  great  soul is  Narada Muni.

>	Didn't i see this in the Enquirer?

>:    Narada Muni is the  spiritual master of  Srila Vyasadeva and Srila
>:    Vyasadeva is  the  author of  all  the original  Vedic scriptures.
>:    Vyasadeva simply  wrote  down  the instructions  of  his liberated
>:    spiritual master  Narada Muni.  Because  Narada has  travelled all
>:    over the  universe and  also  entered the  spiritual world  he has
>:    first-hand experience of everything,  his experience is infinitely
>:    more valuable than the scientists who  are no better than frogs in
>:    a well.
>
>	This Narada must be great at parties.

  I imagine he would be.

>:    The Vedic scriptures  written by Vyasadeva  contain all knowledge,
>:    both material and  spiritual, so whatever  we want to  know can be
>:    found in these  books. Of all  the books written  by Vyasadeva one
>:    book stands supreme, it is called  the Srimad Bhagavatam and it is
>:    called "the ripened fruit of  the desire-tree of Vedic knowledge."

>	I will admit, I have made only a passing glance at this text,
>
>[Some text ommitted]

>:    We can see the "Scientific Process" is imperfect by looking at the
>:    history of science. Western  scientists have continually disproved
>:    the theories  held by  their  predecessors, in  retrospect Western
>:    science can  be seen  as a  collection of  incorrect and imperfect
>:    guesses.  The  scientists  would  generally  accept  this critique
>:    however they would  have us  believe they are  learning from their
>:    mistakes and their guesses are becoming more accurate. While there
>:    is a  glimmer of  truth in  this, how  long will  it take?  If the
>:    perfect knowledge is available from  a perfect source why not take
>:    advantage of it?

>	This show that the scienctific process works, by constantly
> revising the theories as new data is gathered. It works, because
> your car works and your house is warm.

  Yes, it works. I haven't said it doesn't work. But it takes a long time
  and lots of effort. If you can get everything directly from Krishna why
  waste so much time and effort?

>	Why not believe anything anyone tells you. If i claim what
> I say is perfect truth, will you believe me? So why do choose to believe
> some guy who's not from around here?? Even if this spirit existed, what
> makes him right? Because he's a different and trendy and far out man?

  No you have to test it. Guru, sadhu and shastra. Everything has to line
  up. The guru, the scriptures and the authorized saintly persons have to
  all be consistent. I can only accept what you say is it is in agreement
  with these three sources.

>:    It is  not  mystical and  unexplainable  like a  "big  bang" which
>:    magically creates the universe from "nothing at all". We have seen
>					  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>	 Like I said before, this is where you religions can come in.

  This is not religious magic, it's scientific magic!

>:    a father impregnate  a mother  and thus  produce a  child, a small
>:    universe, so  why  is it  surprising  that the  whole  universe is
>:    produced as a result of  the Supreme Father, Krishna, impregnating
>:    the supreme mother,  the mahatattva, or  the material elements. In
>:    the same way the  father puts the living  entity within the mother
>:    and the  living  entity  then develops  within  the  mothers womb,
>:    Krishna, the Supreme Father, places the living entities within the
>:    womb  of  mother  nature  where  they  develop.  It  is completely
>:    reasonable.
>
>	No, it's not. It's devoid of reason. How can you even claim that
> this is reasonable? What kind of logic system is this? Maybe this is
> where we disagree, if so both of our POV's are meaningless. My honest
> opinion is that if a religion gives you peace of mind, etc... then
> great. I'm happy for you. I mean this sincerly. But when you claim
> that science is a bunch of lies, and then replace it with more lies,
> people get misled. It's mindcontrol the easiest way. I gladu clear
> anything up for you.

  It is completely reasonable, even from a purely logical point of view,
  even if you don't believe in Krishna. I have not claimed "science is a
  bunch of lies". Science is a method for gaining knowledge but it is not
  perfect and it takes a long time.

  How you bring mind control into this debate is beyond me. It is
  completely out of context with the whole discussion we have just had!

  Thanks for the reply. Chant Hare Krishna and be happy!

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!