Re: Born Again Krishnas

mpt@mail.utexas.edu (michael tandy) wrote:

>>It should also be pointed out that a series of laws forced
>>many of the changes, at least in the US. Previously in US
>>airports, it was possible for devotees doing book distribution
>>to walk around and talk to people. However, if you look in
>>US airports today, there is generally a small "solicitation" booth
>>put in some remote corner of the airport, and that's where
>>people can "express their first amendment rights".

>	Although we can and probably should see this as the result
>	of our own irresponsible actions in the past, it can also be
>	seen as an arrangement by Lord Krsna to test our devotion. In
>	this sense it is like the "zonal acarya" experience, and a
>	sincere person with a positive attitude (as per Srila Rupa
>	Gosvami's advice) will progress because of it. We can see our
>	difficulties as produced by maya or as attention from Krsna.
>	The latter is far more encouraging, and in fact, more conducive
>	to the removal of unwanted tendencies in our devotional service:

>			"I wish that all those calamities
>			would happen again and again so that
>			we could see You again and again, for
>			seeing You means that we will no longer
>			see repeated births and deaths."

>				-Bhagavata, 1.8.25

  It has never been easy to distribute books. People really don't want
  them [although they desperately need them]. It was incredible that so
  many of Prabhupada's books were sold when he was present. It wasn't
  easy, the devotees were determined to follow their spiritual masters
  orders. They were not making very much money and it was very hard work.
  But that is on the material platform. There is great satisfaction in
  doing something you know is very pleasing to your spiritual master. You
  see Krishna working in so many ways to help you and you get lots of
  realizations.

  This book distribution was the strength of ISKCON and the strength and
  purity of the devotees. When book distribution and Hari-nama were
  minimized ISKCON and the devotees lost their potency because, after all
  it is the sankirtana movement, if we don't perform sankirtana regularly
  [book distribution and Hari-nama] where's our realization? Where's our
  advancement?

  It may be difficult now [it is!] to distribute books BUT IT IS NO MORE
  DIFFICULT than when Prabhupada was present.

Param vijayate Sri Krishna sankirtana - Ki Jaya!

Your servant,

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!