What Happened to the "Greenies"?

Recently I met a friend who is a stalwart environmentalist. He was the backbone of
many successful environmental protests a few years ago in Australia. He's now in a
state of despair... Now everybody is out to protect the environment, or at least
that's the way it looks. Every big
corporation has embraced "Environmental Impact Studies", "Environmental Audits", and
recycling strategies as an integral part of their operation. most councils provide
a recycling service; picking up old newspapers and bottles and recycling them...

Now almost everyone is satisfied the environmental issues have been addressed.
Most people feel comfortable they are "doing their bit" to save the planet by
recycling their cardboard cartons and plastic and glass bottles. It seems the
environment is not really an issue any more. So I suspect the despair of my friend
might be partly because he can't stir up much support for his campaigns, in fact
he is hard-pressed to even come up with a new campaign. Everybody, it seems, is
full-on into saving the environment already, there's no need for radical
"greenies" to do it any more.

I have been looking at the situation from a different perspective and I wonder if
there has really been such a big change in our activities that are ultimately
destroying the planet. I think this is the reason my friend is concerned, it's

difficult to put into words, but somehow things are not right. Although everybody
seems very concerned about the environment their activities to "save the earth"
have been somewhat superficial. Some companies are using recycled packaging, but
many are just printing "recyclable packaging" on their products. But the most
amazing thing is people in general, even many so-called environmentalists are very
quick to accept these superficial efforts to be signs of a change in
consciousness, a revolutionary new "green" corporate world. Why is it people are
so easily convinced?

To understand the psychology of the environmental issue we need to understand the
environment in greater depth and we also need to understand how we, the human
beings, are interacting with the environment and what are our motives. Only then
can we make any real progress on this issue and only then will my environmental
activist friend be able to clear up the
perplexities which are overcoming him at the moment.

It is our desire to exploit the material energy for our own personal sense
gratification which is destroying the planet. The lifestyle we lead in the West
depends on destroying the environment. If we are all going to have our own cars
there has to be huge clouds of smog, there's no alternative. There has to be big
ugly mines to get the raw materials to build the cars. If we want light when we
flip the switch there has to be a nasty power station at the other end of the
cable and it has to be destroying the environment -- there's no other way to make
the electricity.

Actually nobody wants to consider these problems. Even the greenies want to drive
around in their cars and eat junk food. It's a sign of Kali-yuga, "The age of
hypocrisy."

Thank You. Hare Krishna.

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!

ant Hare Krishna and be Happy!

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)