Is the Universe Anything like Science's Models?

>In article <3sehsl$64c@kilroy.id.net>, tdp@id.net (Tom Potter) wrote:
>>
>> >From: virdy@pogo.den.mmc.com (Mahipal Singh Virdy)
>>
>> >Can you imagine religions without gods?
>> >The abstract points of mathematics are not equivalent to the points
of
>> >physics. The Earth orbiting the Sun is not an abstract entity. It is
>> >real. Can you make an equivalent correspondence between theoretical
gods
>> >and a real being, body, persona, whatever? I think not.
>>
>> Do you really believe the Earth orbits the Sun?
>> Why doesn't the Sun orbit the Earth?
>> Is there something special about the Sun that makes things orbit it?
>> Is the Sun some kind of a God?
>>
>> In other words, the Earth orbiting the Sun is faith on your part.
>> The Earth DOES NOT orbit the Sun.
>>

>Absolutely not.  The equations of motion of the planets are just simpler if
>one makes the assumption that the planets orbit the sun and that the
>satellites of the planets orbit the planets.  It is simply for convience -
>has noting to do with anything special about the sun.  It doesn't really
>matter to me one way or the other.  One can develop the equations of motion

>for the solar system using any model he/she wants.  No one model is better
>than the other as long as it is consistant and agrees with the collected
>data.

There are many models which can be used to describe what we see around us in the
universe. Science is the process of developing and verifying these models...

But the models are in the scientist's brains... They are not in the universe.

How will you ever know which model is correct? Perhaps the universe is completely
different from ALL of your models.

Science can tell us very little about reality. Because reality is absolute but
science doesn't deal in absolutes...

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!