Re: Srimati Radharani and Reading Outside Books

                         om ajnana-timirandhasya

                            jnananjana-salakaya

                          caksur unmilitam yena

                          tasmai sri-gurave namah

                       sri-caitanya-mano- 'bhistam

                          sthapitam yena bhu-tale

                         svayam rupah kada mahyam

                           dadati sva-padantikam

I was born in the darkest ignorance, and my spiritual master opened my

eyes with the torch of knowledge. I offer my respectful obeisances unto

him. When will Srila Rupa Gosvami Prabhupada, who has established within

this material world the mission to fulfill the desire of Lord Caitanya,

give me shelter under his lotus feet?

    vande 'ham sri-guroh sri-yuta-pada-kamalam sri-gurun vaisnavams ca

        sri-rupam sagrajatam saha-gana-raghunathanvitam tam sa-jivam

        sadvaitam savadhutam parijana-sahitam krsna-caitanya-devam

       sri-radha-krsna-padan saha-gana-lalita-sri- visakhanvitams ca

I offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of my spiritual

master and unto the feet of all Vaisnavas. I offer my respectful

obeisances unto the lotus feet of Srila Rupa Gosvami along with his elder

brother Sanatana Gosvami, as well as Raghunatha Dasa and RaghunathaBhatta,

Gopala Bhatta, and Srila Jiva Gosvami. I offer my respectful obeisances to

Lord Krsna Caitanya and Lord Nityananda along with Advaita Acarya,

Gadadhara, Srivasa, and other associates. I offer my respectful obeisances

to Srimati Radharani and Sri Krsna along with Their associates  Sri Lalita

and Visakha.

                          he krsna karuna-sindho

                           dina-bandho jagat-pate

                           gopesa gopika-kanta

                          radha-kanta namo 'stu te

O my dear Krsna, You are the friend of the distressed and the source of

creation. You are the master of the gopis and the lover of Radharani. I

offer my respectful obeisances unto You.

                          tapta-kancana-gaurangi

                            radhe vrndavanesvari

                           vrsabhanu-sute devi

                            pranamami hari-priye

I offer my respects to Radharani, whose bodily complexion is like molten

gold and who is the Queen of Vrndavana. You are the daughter of King

Vrsabhanu, and You are very dear to Lord Krsna.

                         vancha-kalpatarubhyas ca

                           krpa-sindhubhya eva ca

                           patitanam pavanebhyo

                          vaisnavebhyo namo namah

I offer my respectful obeisances unto all the Vaisnava devotees of the

Lord. They can fulfill the desires of everyone, just like desire trees,

and they are full of compassion for the fallen souls.

                            sri-krsna-caitanya

                             prabhu-nityananda

                          sri-advaita gadadhara

                        srivasadi-gaura-bhakta-vrnda

I offer my obeisances to Sri Krsna Caitanya, Prabhu Nityananda, Sri

Advaita, Gadadhara, Srivasa and all others in the line of devotion.

                          hare krsna hare krsna

                           krsna krsna hare hare

                           hare rama hare rama

                            rama rama hare hare

Dear Bhakta Paul

Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

>     Thank you for your most recent letter, it has taken me some time to

>respond to it because of other mail that needed to be answered. i thank you

>for your patience on this matter.

Thank you for replying. I was a little afraid I may have offended you,

which I certainly don't want to. So I am pleased to see your reply.

>     So far, i see that we are not really arguing with each other when what

>we state looks to be a difference of opinion, but is actually,

>misunderstanding each other. i hope that we should work together on this and

>try to elaborate our points to the fullest extent so that we can communicate

>clearly.

Yes. We both have to make spiritual advancement. And Krishna katha

[talking about Krishna] and sadhu sanga [the association of devotees] is a

very nice thing. We are all individuals and we naturally have different

ideas and opinions. Even in the spiritual world sometimes the devotees

disagree... "We should serve Krishna this way," "No. I think we should do

it like this..." But this is not like an ordinary argument. Because the

point is to serve Krishna better.

Devotees sometimes disagree with each other but there is no envy, no

malice. Srila Prabhupada wanted to make the theme of the last Mayapur

festival before he left his body "Unity in Diversity". That was his idea.

He wanted ISKCON to be a "House for the whole world to live in." It means

we should have unity, a single purpose, serving Krishna and Srila

Prabhupada, but at the same time allow individual devotees to preach in

their own way. The straight-edge preaching is an example of this. It is

not very "traditional" at all... But it attracts people to Krishna

consciousness, so it is good. That is the diversity. But the unity is we

are all following Srila Prabhupada's instructions. All chanting 16 rounds,

following the four regulative principles, getting out of bed before 4:00

every morning, attending Mangal Aroti, etc.

>     The first point i want to bring up is the reading of Srila Prabhupada's

>books in relation to why some people here have read books, magazines, etc.

>written by other people due in part to the availability of his books. When i

>became a devotee two years ago, i was given a copy of the Bhagavad-gita As It

>Is. For someone whose reading rarely surpassed the daily comics, this book

>just blew me away. It was thick and had alot of words like transcendental,

>cosmic, etc. used in ways i had never imagined. Let's not even bring up the

>Sanskrit words. There was no one to explain this stuff to me, so i was pretty

>stuck.

Yes. My experience was similar when I got the Bhagavad-gita. Although it

wasn't my first book. I was on a holiday in London and one mataji stopped

me in Oxford Street and she showed me the "Higher Taste" and she said it

was a vegetarian cookbook and wondered if I would like it. I knew she was

a Hare Krishna and I thought the Hare Krishna's were nonsense... But I was

thinking about becoming vegetarian. So I said, "OK, I'll have a look." I

thought she was just giving it to me and then she asked for a donation so

I gave her two pounds. I read the first part of it that night and there is

lots of nice philosophy in there as well as a justification for

vegetarianism. It changed my idea about the Hare Krishna movement.

Although I didn't become a vegetarian I had it in my mind that the Hare

Krishna's had a nice philosophy and the mataji I met seemed like a nice

person.

Then I went back to Australia and worked as a computer programmer for 12

months. But I just lost interest in it really and started travelling in

Australia instead. I ended up in Perth and we have a nice restaurant

there. So I saw it and remembered the cookbook so I went in and had

lunch... And that was it for me. They were serving such nice prasadam, it

was unbelievable, I'd never tasted anything like it before. I was

astonished. Event things I usually didn't like tasted wonderful. I

couldn't work it out at all. And Prabhupada's books and the old-style Back

to Godheads were everywhere. The devotees were giving them out for free...

[which is not such a good idea but anyhow...] They had all Prabhupad's

small books, Bhagavad-gita, a couple of volumes of the Srimad-Bhagavatam,

the Higher Taste, and dozens of different issues of the BTG. I was

stunned. I just started reading everything I could lay my hands on. It was

so nice. I had another computer job then in Perth but I became rather

distracted from it and was having two hour lunches so I could go into the

city to take prasadam at the restaurant, and I was reading Prabhupada's

books instead of working... After about a month I got the black

"Prabhupada" book [Satsvarupa dasa Goswami's summary of the Srila

Prabhupada Lilamrta] I couldn't put it down. [By that time I was also

getting up at about 4 in the morning and walking to the temple chanting

jappa. I didn't make it for Mongal Aroti, but I was there for the

Bhagavatam class, Guru-puja and prasadam. It was a small temple, but very

"fired-up" There were about eight brahmacaris and the Kirtanas were very

nice.] So I finished reading "Prabhupada". And then I knew Srila

Prabhupada was the most special person I had ever met and I decided to use

my life to try and do something for him. So I got rid of whatever things I

had, packed my bag and just went to the temple and "joined".

I probably wouldn't have got so involved if the devotees at the restaurant

weren't so nice. They were explaining everything to me. I agree with you

that you need someone to explain things. I was reading the books and

coming to the restaurant and temple and asking questions. There was a

mataji who was always working in the restaurant who would often preach to

me. She would usually tell me, in some way or another, that I was not my

body, but I was a spirit soul, and my business was to serve Krishna.

Actually mostly all the devotees were telling me that... So one day I

asked her, "Why do you always tell me the same thing, 'that I am not my

body.'" And she said, "It is a very difficult thing to realize. Even in

the temple many of the classes are about this. We have to always remind

ourselves. It is very easy thing to forget." So somehow I have never

forgotten her instruction. I consider that mataji as one of my gurus,

because she helped me so much to understand what I was reading in Srila

Prabhupada's books.

Everything works together, Srila Prabhupada's books, the prasadam, the

kirtanas, the Bhagavad-gita classes, and most importantly, the association

of the devotees. I don't think I would have become Krishna consciousness

unless that mataji went out of her way to go out and distribute books on

Oxford Street in London, or if the Perth temple devotees weren't running

such a nice restaurant and temple... So I owe a lot to those devotees.

You have probably noticed two very critical books that helped me to become

Krishna conscious were "The Higher Taste" and "Prabhupada". While they

were not actually written by Srila Prabhupada, but by his disciples, I

still consider them "Prabhupada's books" because Prabhupada's disciples

have not presented any of their own ideas in these books. They have

explained Prabhupada's instructions and Prabhupada's life in their own

words, in a language that is easy for us to understand. Also the old BTG's

were very attractive to me. I liked reading them and looking at the

pictures, but once again they are written by Prabhupada's disciples. But

they contain Prabhupada's teachings. They are not quoting from anything

except Prabhupada's books and they are not presenting anything except

Prabhupada's presentation of Krishna consciousness.. So I count them as

"Prabhupada's books".

>     This was not at all a position i wanted to be in, so i took a peek into

>my local library to see what they had. One of the first books i noticed was

>the Bhagavad-gita and right next to it was another BBT book called Readings

>in Vedic Literature.

I would also call this "Prabhupada's Book" [assuming it's the one by

Satsvarupa dasa Goswami] It was compiled by Satsvarupa Maharaja to help

with university preaching. He asked Srila Prabhupada about it and Srila

Prabhupada replied to him that he should write it by taking information

from his classes and books. And that is what he did. There is nothing new

introduced. It is Prabhupada's Krishna consciousness explained. [But

clearly many of Satavarupa Maharaja's more recent books are his own, they

could not be called "Prabhupada's books"]

>i read the description on the back of the book, and took

>my new found treasure home with me. There was still some difficulty in

>understanding it, but it helped me out a great deal. At that point and time,

>Virginia had a new devotee, but only one.

These books are incredibly powerful. And they work even if you don't

understand them. Srila Prabhupada said if they even touch the books their

life is changed. Because Krishna is present in these books. Even if

someone just keeps books like the Srimad-Bhagavatam and the Bhagavad-gita

in their house the house becomes like a place of pilgrimage... What to

speak of if they read them [or even if they just try to read them]...

>     Between a year and 1.5 years later, things started coming together.

>People who had become devotees in the same area started meeting each other.

>And with one friend, i had started a distribution company. These other

>devotees started off by listening to Shelter's lyrics on a deeper level,

>reading hard-core fanzines, and other books. Most of them did not even know

>who Srila Prabhupada was. Their understanding came from devotees they could

>relate to and looking back on the situation, hard-core devotees was the

>majority.

>     So now it's even longer after that time. These bhaktas are now reading

>Srila Prabhupada's books, but i've quit the distribution company. The company

>is doing his best to distribute books and hard-core fanzines. And a couple of

>days ago, i just got some books to distribute (all of them by Srila

>Prabhupada).

Book distribution ke jaya!

I only know that above everything else Srila Prabhupada wanted us to

distribute his books. It is the most important thing. Srila Prabhupada

said, "My spiritual master said, 'If you get money, print books.' So I

have tried a little in that way." He said he didn't know what the result

would be but he just blindly followed the instruction of his Guru

Maharaja. So we should do the same.

>Only if you want to know, i will tell you why i quit the

>company. As for now, i will be working introvertedly.

If you want you can tell me... The main thing is we want to always

remember Krishna, never forget Krishna. So Srila Prabhupada gave us a

program in ISKCON designed so from 4:00 in the morning to 9:00 at night we

would be busy serving Krishna. That is my goal. I want to be fully engaged

serving Krishna 24 hours a day. Because "an idle mind is the devils

workshop," If we're not busy serving Krishna we will end up serving maya.

I'm also working "introvertedly" [I don't know if it's really the right

word for me] I would like to be in the association of devotees, going out

with them on Hari-Nam, etc. But I am by myself at the moment. But nothing

changes really. We can serve Krishna anywhere, we can chant Hare Krishna

anywhere. It requires some determination, however, to get up before 4:00

in the morning, to chant at least 16 rounds, to strictly follow the

regulative principles, to read Srila Prabhupada's books, and to preach.

But it can be done, its not really difficult. You just have to decide to

do it, that's all...

>     Had books like Beyond Birth and Death, Easy Journey to Other Planets,

>etc. been available at the time, i assure you, i would have read them. But

>now they are here and i am going to distribute them to give out what i didn't

>have.

Jaya! People will read them and they will become devotees. Never become

discouraged, thinking, "I am distributing all these books and no one is

joining..." It is a gradual thing. Not everyone who reads the books joins

immediately. But their life will be changed. The whole world will be

changed. Maya is strong though. It's always a battle. But it is a very

glorious battle, and you never loose. Krishna says:

                          nehabhikrama-naso 'sti

                           pratyavayo na vidyate

                       sv-alpam apy asya dharmasya

                           trayate mahato bhayat

"In this endeavor there is no loss or diminution, and a little

advancement on this path can protect one from the most dangerous type of

fear." (Bhagavad-gita 2.40)

> No sense in thinking about the should have, would have, could have when

>it has passed.

>     i also agree about how we should be careful in dealing with the Mayavadi

>philosophy. But the books i was speaking of that i have recommended to read

>have not been of that nature. Most people don't understand it on any level at

>all, so there are books that may be considered worse in some respects (ever

>hear of Monkey On a Stick?).

"Monkey On a Stick" is not worse than the Mayavadi philosophy! If you read

the Mayavadi philosophy it will become very difficult for you to ever take

to Krishna consciousness. "Monkey On a Stick" is bad, but it is largely

true, although it has been presented in a very "sensational" way. But it

is nowhere near as bad as the Mayavadi philosophy. The big danger with

Mayavadi philosophy is it is very difficult to tell it from Krishna

conscious philosophy. You or I would probably not be able to tell at all.

Particularly without reading it. They don't say they are Mayavadis, they

say they are devotees, and they don't disbelieve in Krishna, they just

have a slightly different understanding of Him... They quote all the same

verses from the Bhagavad-gita, they just interpret them slightly

differently... We probably wouldn't know until it was to late, until the

damage is done. But everyone knows "Monkey On a Stick" is not a bonafide

Krishna conscious book. It is written by some reporters looking for a

sensational story... It's not the same thing at all.

>At the same time, when i'm talking to poeple who

>are skeptical about Krishna consciousness, they won't read any books in

>support of the Krishna consciousness movement written by devotees. This comes

>from the mentality that a devotee would never deface Krishna consciousness.

>In such instances, i have recommended books by well-known friends of the

>movement (Dr. Larry Shinn, Thomas Hopkins). These books serve their purpose

>well.

They certainly do. Srila Prabhupada was VERY pleased when scholars wrote

favorable books about the Krishna consciousness movement and was always

anxious that his books be distributed at universities and colleges and

libraries so scholars and students would have access to them.

>     When you quoted verses from Sri Caitanya-Caritamrta about Lord

>Caitanya's dealing with the Mayavadi philosophers ("My spiritual master

>considered me a great fool...), you also included a quote from

>Bhaktisiddhanta Goswami Maharaja. i like it that we agree that reading other

>peoples' writings is not so bad (sarcasm).

It's from Prabhupada's Sri Caitanya-caritamrta. Prabhupada quoted

Bhaktsiddhanta and I quoted Prabhupada. That is the system. The knowledge

descends through the disciplic succession.

>       This next part confuses me a lot. i said: "It doesn't matter whether

>the author has been a devotee for ten days or ten thousand years, as long as

>there is someone to explain it and as long as the literature itself is bona

>fide, then there should be no problem." Then you said: "This is completely

>incorrect. The potency of the book depends on the purity and potency of the

>author. It is not simply a matter of writing something...There has to be

>spiritual realization on the part of the author and it has to be bona fide."

>     i will continually stand by my statement, but i also agree with parts of

>your statement, they go together somewhat.

Yes. I also agree. What I am trying to say is the purity has to be there.

Srila Bhaktsiddhanta Maharaja (as quoted by Srila Prabhupada) said in

Kali-yuga there are many psuedo-viasnavas. They dress as devotees but in

their minds they are not interested in serving Krishna. They are after

fame, followers, profit, distinction, money and women. So these "disciples

of Kali-yuga" also write books. And some of them are ISKCON devotees

too... So just because a book is written by an ISKCON devotee doesn't make

it bonafide...

>Srila Rupa Goswami received

>instruction from Lord Caitanya for ten days before writing his (beautiful)

>Bhakta-rasamrta-sindhu. But the understanding he had came from his personal

>relotionship with the Lord (considering he was sitting next to Lord Caitanya,

>he must have had a nice relationship with Him!)

Yes. Lord Caitanya is in his heart as well. He is also in your heart and

my heart, the supersoul. He is called "catya-guru" or the "guru within".

The spiritual master gives us instructions from outside and Krishna also

gives us instructions from within our hearts. Krishna consciousness is a

very mystical process. The knowledge and detachement from the material

world developed by devotees is "causeless". Because we are all originally

Krishna conscious. Our original consciousness has been covered, that's

all. So to uncover this consciousness we chant Hare Krishna and serve our

spiritual master and Krishna...

> One devotee asked Prabhupada,

>"How can we become more like you?" Prabhupada told this disciple that we had

>to repeat what he taught. Based on this, i think this purity that we develop

>comes from doing just as Prabhupada's reply suggests, by repeating his

>instructions.

Not just repeating them! Many repeat them but don't follow them in their

own lives. They may perfectly repeat Prabhupada's instructions but if they

don't follow them their preaching will not have any potency. It will

actually be a disturbance in the spiritual lives of the people who hear

it. So we have to follow...

> We may not be very perfect (pure) at all, but when we recite,

>live, and understand perfect instructions, we are at least in the right

>direction. Reciting is similar to writing, only it is a different medium.

If we LIVE them we will be pure. There may be so many difficulties in the

beginning, that is another thing. But unless we are following the

regulative principles and chanting 16 rounds we won't be able to convince

anyone else to either! Our preaching will have very little effect. However

even the preaching of a first-day bhakta will be fully potent if he is

sincere and if he repeats what he has heard from a pure devotee. Srila

Prabhupada, in some lectures, praised the preaching of the child of one of

his disciples. Her name was Saraswati. She was only 2 or 3 but everyone

she met she would ask, "Do you know who Krishna is?" and if they said

"No", she would reply, "Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead". So

Prabhupada said her preaching was perfect.

>     The next part you bring up is what started this whole affair, the

>studying of Radha. i mentioned that my primary goal was to focus on Her (by

>separating Her from Krishna), and you said this was demoniac. You later

>mentioned that Radha is never separate from Krishna. i mean come on, you

>can't tell me that an impossible act is demoniac.

It's impossible, but that's what the demons want. Ravana wanted to abduct

Sita from Lord Ramachandra. He wanted Sita [Laxmi, the Goddess of Fortune

who is an expansion of Srimati Radharani], but he didn't want Lord

Ramacandra [who is an expansion of Krishna.] So that's the demoniac

spirit. It's impossible but that's what they want.

>You can have one or the

>other, but the impossibility of the matter defeats the demoaniac nature of

>the matter.

You can't just make up things like this out of your own brain. We have to

take our arguments from the authorities. Our logic is not so perfect. I

can rightly challenge you on this point. We have to be always prepared to

quote the authority upon which we make a statement. That is the Viasnava

way. We quote our spiritual master, we quote Krishna from Bhagavad-gita

and so on... We explain in our own words of course, but we can't

"speculate" like you have done here.

>     What i meant when i mentioned Radha's separation from Krishna had to do

>with Her emotions. i could site many references, but some of the sources

>aren't from Prabhupada, so i'll just mention a nice chapter from Krishna book

>called: The Gopis' Feelings of Separation. Hey wait, i'm demoniac so i'll

>just mention a couple of verses on the subject from a book called

>Radha-Rasa-Sudha-Nidhi: verses 19, 38, 49, 181, 215, 218, 255, and 256. The

>exact word for this is Virahini (She who feels separation). And as long as

>i've got this book turned to the index, i'll point out the special form of

>separation Radha experienced even in Krishna's presence! Prema-vaichittya.

You can read about it in Caitanya-caritamrta also. Everything is there.

Why not read Sri Caitanya-caritmrta?

Are you trying to say [by writing your numbers there] that what I have

written before was wrong? I have just written what Prabhupada has

written...

>You can't think about Radha without Krishna. That is demoniac. That is

>common in India in relation to the worship of Laxmi-Narayana. Laxmi is

>the Goddess of Fortune and Lord Narayana is Her Husband. But in India

>many people worship Laxmi without Narayana. They want Laxmi [mony,

>fortune..] but they don't want Narayana.

<snip>

>I have to answer on what you have written. I have given you good advice.

>That is my responsibility. You can accept it or not... That is up to you.

&It is not good to start at studing Radharani. We can't understand Her without

first understanding Krishna... We have to follow the process. Study Bhagavad-gita,

then Srimad Bhagavatam from canto's 1 to 9. Then we can study Krishna's

pastimes... That's the system. What else can I say?

> <snip>

>Radha is NEVER seperated from Krishna... That's the whole point. When Krishna

left Vrndavana Her feelings for Krishna increased and increased. She couldn't

sleep, She couldn't eat , She was practically dying from separation from Krishna.

But Krishna is present in these feelings of separation. Krishna never leaves

Vrndavana. These are very subtle things to understand. It is not possible just by

study. We have to serve a pure devotee spiritual master. It is knowledge that

Krishna reveals to us from within our hearts...

>     In case you were wondering, i have not read the book. i was just taking

>a peek at the index. According to the translator, Dasaratha-suta dasa, the

>book is reserved for advanced devotees. Sure he sold me a copy, but that

>doesn't mean i should read it. The original author of the book is Srila

Just read Prabhupada's books... Everything is there...

>Prabodhananda Sarasvati Goswami, a great devotee of Lord Caitanya

>(sri-krsna-caitanya, radha-krsna nahe anya: "Two personalities - Srimati

>Radharani and Sri Krishna - are combined in the incarnation of Sri Caitanya

>Mahaprabhu.")

>      You are right that Krishna is present in our feelings for separation

It's not me that is right! I have not put my ideas into it at all. I am

just repeating what Srila Prabhupada has presented in his books. That is

the system. We don't have independent ideas.

>from Him which brings up the age old question of, "How can a pure devotee

>feel separated from the Lord when he is always associating with the Lord?"

It is a question asked by fools. They can't understand the feelings of a

pure devotee and his relationship with Krishna so they come up with so

many nonsense "logical" contradictions. But many such apparent

contradictions exist in relation to Krishna. But they are not

contradictions at all... It requires realization. It cannot be understood

by intellectual argument or scholarship. It is based on love. This is the

highest spiritual mellow [vipralamba-seva] service in separation. It is

not easy to understand.

>     The final part of your letter, as you have suggested, does seem to be

>based on a misunderstanding. It had to do with your statement about me

>reading Srila Prabhupada's books and then (me) aksing you where your source

>of information for this was. Not who was your source of spiritual

>information. i really don't find it a need to get into this too much.

It is the most important thing. My source of information is His Divine

Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. He has told me everything I

know about Krishna and he continues to tell me more and more every day as

I read his books more and more and as I try to serve him by following his

instructions...

>     When i talk of Srila Prabhupada's disciples, those in the line of Srila

>Prabhupada, and his Grand disciples, i meant those who are real devotees,

>which would exclude such personalities  as Bhaktipada from the category of a

>disciple.

He was an official initiating guru in ISKCON until around 1992. His books

were in every ISKCON temple. His articles were published in the BTG. He

was considered one of the "Pure Devotee" acaryas supposedly selected by

Srila Prabhupada to lead the movement after his departure... If you said

what you are saying now in ISKCON ten years ago you would find yourself

thrown out on the street and they would be calling you a demon... So times

change. THERE IS NO GURANTEE THAT EVERY ISKCON DEVOTEE WHO WRITES BOOKS IS

QUALIFIED to do it... It is not a simple thing.

>As far as i am concerned, once a devotee stops taking instruction

>from their spiritual master, they have put themselves in a position that is

>not of the Guru-disciple relationship.

We can't really say, "As far as I am concerned." It matters very little

what we think. We have to see what the bonafide acaryas have to say about

it and present their view. Of course in this case you are correct and you

are speaking according to the philosophy coming down through the disciplic

succession...

> They are thinking themselves superior

>to their Gurus instructions, so how can they be a disciple. And when i

>mentioned the devotees in the line of Srila Prabhupada, i was definitely

>referring to bona fide Vaisnavas and not Mayavadis.

Yes. But how will you tell? The original book may be bonafide but the

person who translates it into English may not be... Still it will be

poison, and you will still be disobeying Srila Prabhupada's many clear

instructions against this. It is not good.

>"Regarding the Gaudiya Math books being circulated there, who is distributing?

>Who is sending these books? The Gaudiya Math does not sell our books, why

>should we sell their books? Let me know. These books should not at all be

>circulated in our society. B___ V___ T___ is very much antagonistic to our

>society and he has no clear conception of devotional service. He is

>contaminated.

>"Anyway, who has introduced these books? You say that you would read

>only one book if that was all I had written, so you teach others to do

>like that." (to Sukadeva Nov 14, 1973)

>So these are the books of the other devotees in our sampradaya and you

>are saying we should read them, but my spiritual master says NO.. So I

>have to accept my spiritual master. We may not always be able to

>understand the instruction of our spiritual master. It may seem

>unreasonable or illogical to us but disciple means to accept the orders

>of the spiritual master. We have to have faith in him and his

>instructions...

> Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati

>Gosvami's explanations to Sri Brahma-samhita is available from BBT. Because

>of this, i would assume Prabhupada did not mind us reading it.

Yes. Prabhupada authorized the Brahma-samhita. It is written IN ENGLISH by

Srila Bhaktsiddhanta Maharaja. It is not a translation.

>     For now, i have answered your letter. Please forgive me for any offenses

>i have committed against you in doing so. By the way, i'm not a hard-core

>kid, but because of my age, other devotees think i am. Thank you.

Thank you for writing and I hope we can come to some agreement on this

matter. Of course my ideas are fixed. I have to obey Srila Prabhupada. He

is very clear in stating that everything we need is in his books. I see no

need to look elsewhere.

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)      /sudarsana/ctfo

te

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!