Get Knowledge From Someone Who Knows!

cjon@news-server.engin.umich.edu (cullen j o'neill) wrote:

>Madhudvisa dasa        (madhudvisa@krishna.org) wrote:

>: hatch out a chicken..." But no scientist has been able to produce the egg.

>: Because life comes from life, life doesn't come from matter... Chickens

>: come from eggs and eggs come from chickens...

>Does this mean you will change your faith if scientists do produce

>life from matter?  Or do you define life in such a way that it is by

>defintion impossible (ie:w what qualities are required to be alive)?

Life cannot be produced from matter. It is something completely different

from matter. Life, the "soul" enters matter when the right conditions are

there... So you can never produce life from matter... but it is just

possible you may be able to create the opportune circumstances for life to

enter. An example is some trees. There is only one spirit soul in the tree

but sometimes you can take "cuttings" from the tree and plant them and

they grow. That means another soul has entered. So the opportune

circumstances were created, another soul enters and then you have another

tree...

>I tend to suspect that whatever evidence you are provided with, it

>will not change your religeous belief.  Why because you have an

>essentially different way of looking at life... you look to find

>an authority who will reveal The Truth to you, whereas science merely

>looks for useful models that it can use to predict what will happen

>with a useful amount of accuracy.

Accepting Knowledge from someone who knows is a perfectly scientific way

of acquiring knowledge. You do it all the time. The Libraries are full of

books written by people with a little knowledge on something. When you

want to find out something in science the first thing you do is to find an

authority in the field and see what he says. So Krishna is the perfect

authority. If you accept knowledge forom Him it will be correct. It is a

completely scientific process providing the Absolute Truth, not just

models that may or may not be correct.

What Krishna has said 5,000 years ago in the Bhagavad-gita has stood the

test of time. You can read it today and it is still perfectly valid. Your

scientific theories will come and go but the Absolute Truth will not

change.

"I owe a magnificent day to the Bhagavad-gita. It was the first of books;

it was as if an empire spoke to us, nothing small or unworthy, but large,

serene, consistent, the voice of an old intelligence which in another age

and climate had pondered and thus disposed of the same questions which

exercise us." (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)      /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!