Sri Caitanya Caritamrta

Dear Lars Mulvad

Hare Krishna!

I'm so pleased to hear you got up at 5:00 in the morning and chanted 8 rounds an
"it felt good"... It's fantastic. The chanting purifies everything. As you chant
gradually everything else will fall into place as well, the vegetarianism, the
smoking, etc... Chanting is the main thing... Chant Hare Krishna and be happy!

It's nice to make a habit of getting up early every morning. It can sometimes be a
bit of a struggle to drag yourself out of bed but when you start chanting it is
all worthwhile. The "brahma-muhurta" starts 1.5 hours before sunrise and this is
the best time in the day for spiritual activities. Of course chanting is always
good, at any  time of the day, but it is specially good early in the morning.

>Sorry, I must make my own desicion you say, that's all right. What I meant
>was that there must be some motivations in joining ISKCON. I've heard some
>stories about: why a person is "suddenly" becomming a devotee.  Some of
>them are actually tragic, they just didn't felt that they fitted in to
>this material world and they became very much restless (like me, but much
>worse). You don't have to comment on this if you don't want to!

Yes. I know what you mean. I don't feel like I "fit" in this world at all. I don't
think that is a bad thing. We don't belong here actually. We belong with Krishna

in the spiritual world. To fell comfortable and happy here in the material world
is to be completely in maya [illusion]!

Devotees join for all sorts of reasons... It is often not an easy decision. But
you don't have to live in the temple to be a devotee. You just chant Hare
Krishna... You can do it anywhere!

>> If you cook nice prasadam even the meat-eaters will love it! The won't miss
>> the meat...
>>

>Surely it must be something special! Many a time I've run to the bathroom
>to spit the meat out because it contained too much fat, I won't miss it.

No. It's completly obnoxious. I used to eat it though, and thought it was OK...
But now just the smell of it is horrible. Once you give up eating it for a while
you can see what it is... horrible stinking rotting flesh...

>> You should give it up... But you have to cook then for Krishna. You can't
>> give up the meat without having nice hearty vegetarian food to replace it.
>> Can you cook? Do you have a Hare Krishna cook book...
>
>I am capable of cooking, but I don't have a Hare Krsna cook book. I'd like
>to have one but I think that a danish version will be more pleasant to
>read.

Yes. I think there is a Danish one.. But you will have to get it from the devotees
there. I would urge you to get it as soon as possible and start trying to cook
some of the things. Maybe in a few months you could start to have a little Sunday
feast in your house... Invite a few friends around for a nice meal... Who knows?

>> The strength is in the chanting. But we have to want to give up, and then we
>> have to be determined to do it. It may not be easy in the beginning...
>
>I realize that now, it has almost removed my fear, the merciful Lord is
>surely kind to me, I wish I could give Him something special in return for
>this, I can be very pragmatic. He is just so nice that I'll do anything
>for Him. When I read His words in bhagavad-gita it's like He is touching
>my head gently!

Yes it's such a nice thing, Krishna consciousness, and Krishna is with us and
helping us along. He's very keen to see us come back home, back to Godhead. He
likes the chanting. The more we chant the better. It's our only hope in this dark
age of Kali-yuga. If we chant enough we can chase away the darkness of Kali-yuga
and change everything...

Keep chanting Hare Krishna.. Reading the Bhagavad-gita..

Looking forward to hear how it's going.