Quantam Mechanics

Hello Lars M

Hare Krishna.

I am very happy to hear you chanting program is going on nicely and you are
enjoying getting up early in the morning. If we just always keep this program of
rising early and chanting Hare Krishna everything will be auspicious. Even if
there are sometimes difficulties, just keep getting up early and chanting Hare
Krishna on you beads, you will see Krishna make so many nice arrangements...

I am also interested to hear you are studying quantam mechanics and you have
laughingly suggested using quantam mechanics to serve Krishna in your letter, but
why not? We can use everything in the service of Krishna. Today the world is
becoming godless and a large part of the blame is with science. They are the ones
who are trying to establish that God is not required, that everything could come
from a "big bang" form nowhere.. But this is nonsense. So you can establish that
God is required using quantam mechanics. That would be a great service.

I was talking to someone else a couple of weeks ago and he changed his address and
I got an automatic message about his address change. When I first saw it I thought
it was you and that you must have moved so I sent my last letter to you to his new
address... But then I realized my mistake. But he was talking about quantam
mechanics [which I know absolutely nothing about] so you might be interested in
his letter. I have included it below.

Good luck with preaching to your friends and your room mate. You will find them to
be quite open if you gradually tell them more and more. Krishna consciousness is
very nice and anyone will be interested in it...

>Good. I'm still chanting a lot and it feels great! I'm getting used to get
>early up in the morning (5 am.) and chant 6 rounds which takes about 45
>min., perhaps I should take another 2 rounds but I tend to loose
>concentration when I'm getting to round 5 or so, but a little bit of
>training will probably do it.

Yes. Keep chanting. Chant 8, 16, 32 or 64 rounds... Haridasa Thakura would chant
64 * 3 rounds every day. He wouldn't eat anything until he finished his rounds! Of
course we cannot imitate him but the more you chant the better it gets. You may
feel you are loosing concentration but keep chanting! In one or two rounds time
you will be so glad that you didn't stop!

> Also I tend to get bored when I'm doing
>things which are not/can not be done in a krsna-concious manner, playing
>pool etc. it's just not sweet anylonger,

It's a very good sign. As we become more attached to Krishna we automatically
become detached from the things that are not connected with Him.

> on the other hand I won't
>dissapoint my friends by saying that I don't want to play pool and other
>games.
>
>When I told my friends such and such and this was my opinion the first
>thing they asked me about was if I was going to raze my head and dress
>myself in sheets. One of them told me that he was an atheist and he did
>certainly not beleive in any God especially not in Hare Krsna. I wonder
>why he kept saying Hare Krsna all the time!?

Yes, it's so nice. He's chanting Hare Krishna! It's very great preaching. The
maha-mantra acts like fire. It burns like it or not. So he is becoming Krishna
conscious gradually!

>But it amuses me knowing the
>Sri Krsna is in everybodies heart, even in his. Another has bought one of
>Prabhupada's book (the one which starts with nuclear weapons, I don't
>recall the english title) but he has only read about 10 pages, anyway it's
>better than nothing!

It's fantastic!

Keep on preaching...

Madhudvisa dasa

>Dear Lars-Henrik,
>
>Thank you for your reply and the description of interference.
>

>>Of course particles can form waves, but there is a difference between
>>*forming* waves and *being* waves. Water can form waves, but that does
>>not mean that water *is* waves.
>
>No water is molecules... the molecules form the waves...
>

>< snipped "interference" description >
>

>>Exactly the same phenomenon is observable with light...
>
>>How could you explain this behaviour assuming that light is particles?
>
>In exactly the same way as it occurs in the water... Water is molecules,
particles but sometimes exhibits the qualities of waves... because the particles
are moving in waves. Same with light... It is particles and the particles
sometimes move in waves. Why not?

>>Returning to your question if waves could not be formed by particles.
>>Certainly - that was the case in the water example, where the waves
>>werer formed by water. However, light is not *formed* by photons,
>>light *is* the photons themselves.
>
>Water *is* the molecules of H2O... But they form waves...
>
>>If you tried to explain
>>intereference by light by postulating that light was a wave pattern
>>among particles, you would contradict your assumption that photons are

>>"shining particles".
>
>NO. They are still shining particles... They are just moving in waves. It seems
to me much clearer than the quantum mechanics [although I must admit I don't
understand that really -- I will have to read up on it]

>I may have missed something, but I can't see how photons, "shining particles"
can't act in the same way as the water molecules and form waves which in turn form
interference patterns.

>>There are other experiments which agree with your opinion that light
>>is indeed made of particles. This apparent contradiction baffled
>>scientists until a theory was devised where light was described by
>>something which can have both wave- and particle-like aspects. The
>>connection between the two is made clear by a branch of physics called
>>quantum mechanics.
>>
>>Finally, I am not at all trying to attack your religion. Indeed, I
>>have a great deal of respect for it. I am opposing the idea that a
>>complete and final understanding of the physical world can be obtained
>>by reading holy scriptures
>
>How are you going to get a "complete and final understanding" then? The
understanding science gives is far from complete and, by definition, never final.
Everything is open to be revised and updated. Nothing is absolute.

>If you can find a perfect source of knowledge, absolute knowledge, that is
different. The Vedic scriptures are not ordinary "holy scriptures". Of course the
knowledge of God and heaven and how we can reestablish our relationship with Him
is there and that is the main part, but there are also many Vedic scriptures
containing scientific knowledge about this material universe.

>> - particularly when experience contradicts
>>those scriptures.
>
>The problem is experience can be a funny thing. We may perceive or experience
something in a way that is completely different from it's real form. For example
we could perceive the sun as a bright shiny ball in the sky a little bigger than a
basket ball... But actually it's much bigger. So knowledge gathered via our senses
is not perfect. But if we can find a perfect authority we can get the perfect
knowledge...

>> Science describes the nature of the world, while
>>religion describes the nature of God.
>
>The world is but the external energy of God. If you understand God then you
understand His energies as well.

>> This is, I believe, a sensible
>>division.
>
>The problem is science has missed God. They are trying to explain everything
without God. And this universe has been created by God as a self-sufficient unit,
but still behind everything is the energy of God. So science can only partially
explain things.

>They try to explain the consciousness as a combination of chemicals... But you
can't make anything conscious by combining chemicals. The consciousness is the
symptom of the soul, the living spiritual energy which is moving everything in the
universe. But science is ignoring the spiritual component, God and the living
beings, the spirit souls.
>It's like trying to understand why your motor car drives to your office every
morning without considering you, the driver. You can look in the motor and try to
find the mechanical arrangement causing the car to navigate the freeways every
morning and go to your office... But you will never find it, for it is you, the
spirit soul who are driving the car.