ecstasy or Sitting in a beanfield chanting Hindi words...

Dear Chris

Hello, Hare Krishan!

Thanks for the reply.

Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama

Rama, Hare Hare may sound like a bunch of Hindi words, but they are not. Krishna

and Krishna's names are identical. Krishna is present in His holy name. It is

different from a mundane material sound vibration. You can chant "water water

water..." but it will never quench your thirst, but if you chant "Krishna,

Krishna, Krishna... you will see Krishna, Krishna is fully present His name:

"The treasure of love of God has descended from the spiritual world of Goloka

Vrndavana, appearing in this world as the sankirtant movement of the chanting of

Lord Hari's holy names. Why am I not attracted to it? Day and night I burn from

the poison of material existence, but still I refuse to take the antidote."

(Narotttama dasa Thakura)

om anavrttih sabdat -- "By sound vibration one becomes liberated" (Vedanta Sutra)

"Pure love for Krishna is eternally estblished in the hearts of living entities.

It is not something to be gained from another source. When the heart is purified

by hearing and chanting, the living entity naturally awakens." (Caitanya-

caritamrta)

"You should understand this essential fact: material life is temporary and filled

with various kinds of miseries. Therefore carefully take shelter of the holy name

and remain always engaged in His service as your eternal occupation."

(Bhaktivinoda Thakura)

You have said, "we are material to an extent," but this is not true, we have a

material body at present, but we, the "I", the self, are completley spiritual. Our

material body is continually changing, but we don't change. The soul is eternal

and unchanging, it is simply covered by a material body at the moment. Krishna

consciousness means to remove this temporary material covering and uncover our

original, eternal spiritual body.

Spiritual means sat, cit, ananda and vigrah; it means eternally youthful, full of

knowledge and full of ever-increasing bliss and all this in an eternal spiritual

form. That's what we all want and are trying to get here, in the material world.

But there is only a reflection of the spiritual world here -- the real substance

is not here. We see a perverted reflection of real pleasure, a perverted

reflection of real knowledge, etc. Everything we see here also exists in the

eternal, blissful spiritual world, but the original is there and we see a

perverted reflection here...

The material world is something like the reflection of a mango tree on the water.

You can see the tree and the mangos in the reflection, you can't say it is not

real or it is not a mango tree... But just try and grab one of those reflected

mangos... all you get is a hand full of water... the bliss, the real pleasure, the

real taste of the mango can only be found in the actual tree -- not the reflected

one.

Here, in the material world, it is maya's job to make the reflection seem very

real... It can be very bewildering, in fact 99.99% of the population are convinced

they can be happy here... and they work VERY hard at it. But all attempts at being

"happy" here end in fruatration, because our nature, the nature of the soul, is

sat, cit, ananda -- eternally youthful, full of knowledge and full of bliss; but

the material world is asat, acit and nirananda -- completely opposite --

temporary, full of ignorence and full of anxiety...

We are like fish out of water, the sat, cit, ananda spritual world is our home but

we have come here instead to try and be happy... It is not possible. Krishna has

actually constructed this material world in such a was as to frustrate our desires

to be happy independantly of Him... We are exactly like Krishna in quality, as the

gold in a ring is the same QUALITAIVELY as the gold in a mine but the quantity is

vastly different. There is a few ounces of gold in the ring, but there is tons and

tons of gold in the mine...

So we have the same qualities as Krishna, but He has them to an unlimited extent,

whereas we have them in a very small quantity. God is great and we are small... So

our natural constitutional position is to serve God, Krishna... But because we are

small samples of Krishna we also have some independence. We are not like puppets

on a string. Krishna is supremely independant and we, as part and parcel of

Krishna, also have some independence... So sometimes we want to become the master,

the lord... Just like Krishna. It's really not possible. Krishna is great and we

are very small... but, just to give us a chance to "play god", He creates this

material world. So we are here trying to become the lord and master, trying to

become the enjoyer, trying to be Krishna... But we are not Krishna, we are not the

lord, we are not the master... Krishna is... So we come here and after many, many

births in the material world we become intelligant enough to see there is no

happiness here, real happiness is serving Krishna in the spiritual world...

Have you read the "Bhagavad-gita As It Is" by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta

Swami Prabhupada? I would strongly recommend it and all Srila Prabhupada's other

books as well. You will find the answers to all your questions there, everything

will become very clear.

You say you believe in a more interesting future... But you don't know how

enlivining and interesting it is to serve Krishna, Krishna is unlimited. All

"interesting" things here are but a tiny sample of the unlimited "interesting"

things in Krishna and the spiritual world. Krishna consciousness does not mean

giving up the world as false, it means engaging Krishna's energy in Krishna's

service. It is very interesting indeed...

As far as us having a lot to learn about the material world, that is also true.

This universe is such a tiny part of the complete energies of Krishna, yet even if

we had a lifetime as long as Lord Brahma (who lives for the entire duration of the

universe from creation to destruction) we still could not understand it

completely...

                     athava bahunaitena

                       kim jnatena tavarjuna

                     vistabhyaham idam krstnam

                         ekamsena sthito jagat

"But what need is there, Arjuna, for all this detailed knowledge? With a single

fragment of Myself I pervade and support the entire universe." (Bhagavad-gita

10.42)

"The Supreme Lord is represented throughout the entire material universes by His

entering into all things as the Supersoul. The Lord here tells Arjuna there is no

point in understanding how things exist in their seperate opulence and grandeur.

He should know that all things are existing due to Krishna's entering them as the

Supersoul. From Brahma, the most gigantic entity, on down to the smallest ant, all

are existing because the Lord has entered each and all and sustaining them."

(Srila Prabhupada)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Chant Hare Krishna and be happy!

Madhudvisa dasa