Madyam Gurus

Dear Nathan,

Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

Your words are a very welcome relief. I accept Srila Prabhupada's description of

what a guru is completely and I also can't understand how any "follower" of Srila

Prabhupada could misunderstand... I was in London when Bhagavan fell down and it

just so happened that, while everyone else was lamenting, I came across part of a

Nectar of Instruction. It was just the back part, (from page 58 on) I read it and

couldn't believe it. How amazing I thought, here's the answer, this guy was never

qualified anyhow. So I tried to share my discovery with some of the other devotees

but they were not interested at all.

But I saw the fall of Bhagavan, Bhavananda, Ramesvara, etc. and I thought, "Surely

these guys will learn the lesson now." Everyone can see there is nothing to be

gained by falsely accepting the position of guru for name, fame, profit, adoration

and distinction... The GBC will have to accept the truth now. Only a pure devotee

will do. Of course Srila Prabhupada says a madhyam can initiate but that it will

be very difficult for anyone to make spiritual advancement under such unqualified

guidance, therefore one MUST take shelter of an uttama-adikari pure devotee...

(sorry it is not the exact quote -- I do not have NOI with me)... So there are

devotees that will say "Srila Prabhupada said a madhyam can initiate... but they

will neglect to mention the rest...

Personally I took initiation from Srila Prabhupada in 1989. I feel completely

protected and have a real relationship with Srila Prabhupada through his vani, his

instructions. He said there are two ways to associate with the spiritual master,

by physical association and by following his instructions. Of the two vani, or

following his instructions is more important. So all of Srila Prabhupada's

instructions are in his books, we just have to surrender to him and read his books

and follow the instructions he gives us in that way. It is real, direct personal

association. Srila Prabhupada didn't die. He continues to live in sound.

Of course ISKCON will not say that Srila Prabhupada is dead. But they will

certainly say you can't take initiation from Srila Prabhupada any more, you have

to have a "living guru". So although they won't come out and say it directly --

they are saying Srila Prabhupada is not a "living guru" -- therefore they are

calling Prabhupada a "dead guru". This is a great offense and their attempt at

killing Prabhupada and taking his position themselves and turning his preaching

organization, ISKCON, into an organization of mundane people all after money, sex,

fame, profit, adoration and distinction will not succeed.

We should continue to seriously follow Srila Prabhupada's instructions: rise

before 4:00am each morning, chant at least 16 rounds of the Hare Krishna maha-

mantra daily, follow the four regulative principles, and preach. Tell everyone we

meet something about Krishna. Try to get some of Srila Prabhupada's books [if the

BBT will sell them to you...] and distribute them to people to give Srila

Prabhupada the opportunity to preach to them. He is personally present in his

books, reading Srila Prabhupada's books is direct association with Srila

Prabhupada and as Prabhupada is not speaking on his own authority, he is just

presenting Krishna's words as they have descended to him through the disciplic

succession, so the readers of Prabhupada's books are also directly associating

with Krishna. It is much better than our preaching! Srila Prabhupada once wrote to

Bhagavan, "What will you three minutes of preaching do? If he reads just one verse

his life will be changed". There is great potency in these books. When people read

them they will understand the miserable, temporary nature of this material world,

the transcendentally blissful nature of the spiritual world and the process by

which they can go back home, back to Godhead -- chanting:

     Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare

        Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare

I have written a small booklet, "What Happened to the Hare Krishna's?", you may

have seen it, it is on the www at:

    http://www.prg.apc.org/~shelter/archive/msg00089.html

If you don't have access to the web you can email me your "snail-mail" address and

I can send you a copy.

Chant Hare Krishna and be happy!

Your servant

Madhudvisa dasa