Krishna's Salvation of the demons He kills

Dear Tadas,

Hello. Hare Krishna!

Yes. Krishna is absolute and everything He does is good for everyone. It seems

when He kills the demons He is inimical towards them and when He protects His

devotees His is partial to them. Sometimes people accuse Krishna of being

partial to His devotees and envious of the demons. But it is not a fact. In

reality Krishna is benefiting everyone. He responds to us according to the way

we treat him.

                         ye yatha mam prapadyante

                         tams tathaiva bhajamy aham

                          mama vartmanuvartante

                          manusyah partha sarvasah

"As all surrender unto Me, I reward them accordingly. Everyone follows

My path in all respects, O son of Partha." (Bhagavad-gita 4.11)

So as we treat Krishna, He responds to us. He has given us a little

independence in this matter. We can choose to serve Him or we can choose to

fight Him. In either way we benefit. Association with Krishna is absolute. If

one associates with Krishna he must benefit, even if He is trying to Kill

Krishna. It is likened to associating with a fire, no mater how you associate

with the fire you get hot... There's no alternative!

Perhaps you have read "Krishna Book" by my spiritual master, His Divine Grace

A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada? It is a natural language commentary on the

Tenth Canto of the Srimad-Bhagavatam (Bhagavat-Purana). In the tenth canto of

the Bhagavatam Krishna's pastimes when He was present on this planet 5,000

years ago are described and you will see from reading this that demon-killing

was practically a daily affair for Krishna and Balarama when they appeared as

young cowherd boys in Vrndavana.

There was a plot by King Kamsa to kill Krishna, as he had received a warning

from a voice in the sky that he would be killed by Krishna. So King Kamsa was

trying to avoid being killed [as all materialists try to]. He had many very

powerful demoniac friends and was sending them, one after the other, to

Vrndavana to try and kill Krishna, who at that time appeared to be a young boy.

Of course Krishna was very special. He was extraordinarily beautiful,

extraordinarily strong, extraordinarily famous, extraordinarily intelligent and

extraordinarily renounced. These are all attractive qualities and Krishna has

all attractive qualities in full, that is what Krishna means, "the possessor

of all attractive qualities in full..."

But back to the demon-killing. The demons Krishna killed sometimes received the

same benefit as the devotees who serve Him with love. For example there was one

witch called Putona. She was very expert at killing children therefore King

Kamsa enlisted her to kill Krishna when He was still a very small baby. So she

assumed the body of a very beautiful young woman. It should be noted that in

those days the demons were generally very advanced yogis and the yogic

perfections number eight, one of them is the ability to take any form he

desires at will. So sometimes the demons took the form of big monsters, but in

this case the witch Putona took the form of a very beautiful woman. She then

set off for Vrndavana to kill Krishna. She smeared some deadly poison on her

breasts and then entered the house of Mother Yasoda and Nanda Maharaja,

Krishna's foster mother and father. Krishna was there with His mother Yasoda

and the demon Putona, appearing as a very beautiful women, asked if she could

take Krishna in her arms. So Mother Yasoda agreed and immediately Putona

offered her brest milk to Krishna, intending to kill Krishna with the deadly

poison she had smeared on her breasts. But instead of Killing Krishna, Krishna

closed His eyes and accepted the offering of milk from the demon Putona as he

would from any of His other mothers, and at the same time He sucked out here

life-breath as well. But Krishna accepted her motherly behavior and her

offering of milk and she was liberated to the spiritual world and got a

position equal to that of Krishna's mother...

So it is trus, sometimes the demons do get liberation equal to the devotees. It

was for this reason that someone questioned Krishna, "How can you ever repay

your devotees, who serve you wit love and affection completely unmotivated by

any desire other that to please You. I think you will always remain indebted to

such devotees...

But not all the demons killed by Krishna get this type of liberation. They all

get liberated, but there are two types of liberation. One type of liberation is

personal, it means entering the spiritual planets and serving Krishna there as

the devotees do and Putona got also. But there is another type of liberation

which is impersonal. Just as there is the sun and coming from the sun are so

many shining particles so Krishna is there and from Krishna's body an

effulgence called the Brahma-Joyti is coming. Just as the sunshine is coming

from the sun so the Brahma-Joyti is coming from Krishna's body. So the

impersonal liberation means merging with, or becoming one with this

Brahma-Joyti. So many of the demons get this type of liberation also. But the

devotees don't like this because there is no chance to serve Krishna in the

impersonal Brahma-Joyti. So they consider it no better than hell.

          kaivalyam narakayate tridasa-pur akasa puspayate

             durdantendriya-kala-sapa-patali protkhata-damstryate

          visvam purna-sukhayate vidhi-mahendradis ca kitayate

             yat karunya-kataksa vaibhavavatam tam gauram eva stumah

"Let us glorify Lord Gaurasundara for if one attains His merciful sidelong

glance, the impersonal liberation of merging into the splendour of God becomes

as palatable as going to hell, the heavenly cities of the demigods appear as

phantasmagoria. The poisonous fangs of the untameable black-snakes of the

senses become broken, The whole world becomes full of joy and Lord Brahma, Lord

Indra and all the other demigods appear as insignificant as tiny insects."

(Caitanya-candramrta)

When you talk of being destroyed by Krishna's lotus feet I can't help thinking

of Kaliya, the poisonous many-hooded serpent who took residence in a lake in

the Yamuna river near Vrndavana. His was so poisonous that the entire river

became deadly, even birds flying over that area would die from the poisonous

fumes emanating from the lake...

I have just tried searching for "Kaliya" on the Sudarsana home page and there

is an article I wrote there last year at:

        /sudarsana/archive/msg00329.html

I have included it below for you information. You will find many more things

there if you spend some time looking around...

Thank you very much for the question. Please write again. Chant Hare Krishna

and be happy!

Madhudvisa da