Land, Cows and Grains

Dear Mohanan

Hello. Hare Krishna!

The so-called "modern" life we are living now is not sustainable. It cannot go

on for very long whereas the Vedic way of life is perfectly in tune with nature

and one can live in that way for ever without destroying the environment, etc.

Of course we are now very attached to the "modern" way of life, but from the

scriptures we can see that this "advancement" is not advancement at all.

Advancement means coming closer to Krishna, but the modern lifestyle is not

about coming closer to Krishna at all. It is centered around sense

gratification. It is a very nasty world actually, everyone looking out for

himself only with no concern for anyone else.

So the Vedic lifestyle is an alternative.

But even in the Vedic times they had cities as well. Krishna and Balarama grew

up in Vrndavana, a village where the main business was looking after the cows,

milking the cows, growing grains and vegetables, etc. But Mathura and Dwaka

were there as well, big cities. Even the modern scientists who have studied the

ruins of the ancient Arian culture have noted their advanced building

construction, sewerage systems, etc. So it is not that everyone has to live on

the land.

The main point is we should work for Krishna's pleasure, not our own pleasure.

That can be done anywhere, city or village. If we please Krishna automatically

we will be pleased as well. The analogy is given of watering the tree and

supplying food to the body. To supply water to the whole tree, all the leaves,

twigs, branches, flowers, fruits, etc; one simply has to supply water to the

root of the tree -- then everything will be automatically nourished. Similarly

with the body -- one simply has to supply food to the stomach and the entire

body will benefit. So if we simply worship Krishna, if we simply serve Krishna,

then we will be happy and so will everyone else. Krishna is the root of the

entire creation, we are all tiny parts of Krishna. SO if Krishna is satisfied

everyone will become satisfied.

And how to satisfy Krishna? In this age the recommended method is Sankirtana

Yajna, the chanting of:

    Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare

         Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare

        harer nama harer nama harer namaiva kevalam

        kalau nasty eva nastya eva nastya eva gati anyatha

"In this age of quarrel and hypocrisy, the only means of deliverance is the

chanting of the holy name of the Lord. There is no other way. There is no other

way. There is no other way." (Brhad-naradiya Purana 3.8.126)

So chant Hare Krishna and be happy!

Madhudvisa dasa