Cows are special

Dear Deena

Hello. Hare Krishna! Thanks for visiting my home-page and sending your letter

on cow protection. It is a very important thing. Of course killing any animal

is a great sin -- but killing cows is even more sinful. The Vedic (Indian)

culture protects cows over any other animal. Even if one is a meat-eater he

cannot kill cows. The reason is Krishna (God) is a cowheard boy. It is hard to

believe -- God is a cowherd boy!! By why not? His business is enjoying, he is

eternally youthful and he is engaged in loving pastimes with His  cows,

parents, boy friends and girl friends in Vrndavana... Krishna is the supreme

enjoyer...

The movement you suggest to stop the cow-killing is nice... Showing the young

people the suffering and torture that goes on in the slaughter-houses. But it

is a negative thing. They have a taste for blood, you have to give them some

better food, a "Higher Taste"... So in Krishna consciousness we offer sumptuous

vegetarian foods to Krishna and in that way they become spiritual and very

delicious. So much so that once tasting such nice food one looses his taste for

the disgusting rotting corpses of dead animals. I was a meat-eater before I

came to Krishna consciousness and I had heard the arguments of the vegetarians

but it didn't have much impact on me at all... But when I started eating

Prasadam (spiritual food offered to Krishna) at the Hare Krishna restaurants in

Australia I automatically lost my taste for meat and McDonnalds. That was over

10 years ago -- now and I would never dream of eating meat again. So I am

convinced that this is the real way to get the message across to people. Give

them Prasadam (food offerd to Krishna), let them chant Hare Krishna and read

Srila Prabhupada's books and very soon they will be vegetarian, but not only

that they will be very happy and understand the purpose of life, to reestablish

our lost relationship with God, Krishna.

We have to give a positave alternative, you can't just stay "stop killing". You

might like to use the "search" function on my home-page <http://w

ww.krishna.org/balarama> (the magnifying glass on the button-bar on top of the

screen) to search for vegetarian, vegetarinaism, etc -- there are quite a few

other letters and articles there so have a read and write back with your

thoughts...

Thanks for writing. Chant Hare Krishna and be happy!