Re: Meditation

>Is it possible to meditate properly while living a western lifestyle?

>Wearing and robe and shaving one's head would draw uninvited attention

>to a westerner, especially women. Can one reconcile ones heritage with

>proper meditation or must one leave the community they live in?

>Thank you,

Dear John

Hello. Hare Krishna!!

Yes. It is possible to practice Krishna consciousness in any position. One

doesn't have to wear any special clothing or shave his head. That is the beauty

of Krishna consciousness. You can chant Hare Krishna anywhere: walking along

the street, sitting on a bus, anywhere... As far as leaving the community you

are living in, Lord Caitanya does not recommend that, He says that one should

stay where he is and simply practice Krishna consciousness.

Of course as you make advancement in Krishna consciousness you will want to

assocate with other people who are also interested in Krishna consciousness, so

there needs to be some place, an assocation of devotees of Krishna, so we can

go there and hear about Krishna and talk about Krishna. So that is why His

Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada established the International

Society for Krishna Consciousness. A community of pure devotees all striving to

serve Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead...

But anyhow you can practice Krishna consciousness anywhere, however, for other

systems of meditation and yoga it is not so simple. For example the

astanga-yoga system (hatha-yoga) is described by Krishna in the sixth chapter

of the Bhagavad-gita and there are so many prerequisites and requirments for

successfully practicing it. You have to go to a sanctified holy place -- the

middle of a big city is not possible, you have to sit in a very particular way

facing a certain direction on kusa grass covered with deer skin. Then you have

to sit peacefully, half close your eyes and chant the holy vibration of omkara

(AUM)... So it is not possible for most people. In this age Krishna

consciousness, chanting the Hare Krishna maha-mantra:

       Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, hare Hare

          Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare

Have you read any of the books of His Divine Grace AC Bhaktivedanta Swami

Prabhupada?

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Chant Hare Krishna and be happy.