[Next][Alpha][Date]

"realized" knowledge

Dear Arial

Hello!  Hare Krishna!  All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

>In the beginning of the seventh chapter of the Bhagavad-Gita, Krishna

>says that the knowledge which he is giving to Arjuna (and in turn to us)

>is the king of knowledge since it is "realized" by the practitioner of

>Krishna consciousness.  This seems extremely important.  What exactly

>does this mean?  How does one know if one has "realized" any knowledge?

>Does this take place on the "spiritual platform" as opposed to the

>"mental platform?"  If so, what does that mean?

"To hear about Krishna from the Vedic literatures, or to hear from Him directly

through the Bhagavad-gita, is itself righteous ativity. And for one who hears

about Krishna, Lord Krishna, who is dwelling in everyone's heart, acts as a

best-wishing friend and purifies the devotee who constantly engages in hearing

of Him. In this way a devotee naturally develops his dormant transcendental

knowledge. AS he hears more about Krishna from the Bhagavatam and from the

devotees, he becomes fixed in the devotional service of the Lord. By

development of devotional service one becomes freed from the modes of passion

and ignorance, and thus material lusts and avarie are diminished. When these

impurities are wiped away, the candidate remains steady in his position of pure

goodness, becomes enlivened by devotional service and understands the science

of God consciousness perfectly. Thus Bhakti-yoga severs the hard knot of

material affection and enables one to come at once to the stage of "asamsayam

samagram", understanding of the Supreme Absolute Truth Personality of Godhead.

(Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.2.17-21)

"Therefore only by hearing from Krishna or from His devotee in Krishna

consciousness can one understand the science of Krishna." (from Bhagavad-gita

7.2 purport)

Krishna consciousness is a transcendental process and every devotee making

advancement can practically feel it himself. It's like the satisfied feeling a

hungry man experiences after enjoying a hearty meal. No one has to tell him

he's not hungry anymore. He knows that very well himself. Similarly one making

advancement in Krishna consciousness will also see all his material attractions

go away and his love for Krishna, his attraction to hearing about Krishna by

reading Srila Prabhupada's books, the transcendental pleasure he feels while

chanting Hare Krishna all increase unlimitedly. He will see the twenty-six

qualities of a devotee automatically develop in himself. It's something we have

to experience for ourselves and it's not a cheep thing. It's not that today I

will chant 16 rounds and read Srila Prabhupada's books and feel "spiritual

ecstasy" and tomorrow I will go back to my old sinful ways. It has to be a

full-time 24 hour a day 7 days a week thing... Krishna knows what we really

want, and He will fulfill our desires. If we really want material sense

gratification He will give us that, if we really want Him He will help us to

understand Himself.

"I am seated in everyone's heart, and from Me come remembrance, knowledge and

forgetfulness. By all the Vedas I am to be known; indeed I am the compiler of

Vedanta, and I am the knower of the Vedas." (Bhagavad-gita 15.15)

The following is a quote from a letter Srila Prabhupada wrote to Jayananda in

1967, the process has not changed, it's eternal, and Prabhupada's instruction

is equally valid now.

"Your service attitude for Krishna and your sincere attempts at being advanced

in Krishna Consciousness will work with you and make your life more and more

glorious and a happy state. I've been very glad that you are appreciating by

your self the effects of sincere Krishna Consciousness. I've nothing new to

instruct you, the same old instruction, namely constant chanting and

attentively hearing the transcendental vibration Hare Krishna, is the only

process for self realization in this age. In San Francisco while you were

driving your car and I was sitting by you hearing your transcendental

vibration, this very sincere attempt has enriched your consciousness and my

only instruction is that you may constantly do this habit without fail."

So it is not that we just chant 16 rounds of the Hare Krishna mantra in the

morning and then forget about it. We should chant always, remember Krishna

always 24 hours a day. We have to organize our lives so we can always be doing

something that reminds us of Krishna 24 hours a day. It is not possible for us

to just chant Hare Krishna 24 hours a day, it was possible for Haridasa

Thakura, but we cannot imitate him. For us we have to do some practical

service, use our energy serving Srila Prabhupada... This is very important.

Krishna consciousness means devotional service, it means using our energy for

serving Krishna under the direction of the bona-fide spiritual master, for he

knows what Krishna wants us to do...

Anyhow I hope this has helped with your question. We know very well when we

have realized knowledge in Krishna consciousness just as a hungry man knows

well that his hunger has been satisfied by a hearty meal... But this

realization is only possible in the assocation of pure devotees so we should

spend a lot of time assocating with Srila Prabhupada by reading his books...

Prabhupada is living in his books.

Thanks for the letter. Looking forward to hearing from you again. Chant Hare

Krishna (at least 16 rounds) and be happy!

Your servant