Re: Cultivating a relationship with the spiritual master

>Please accept my humble obeisances.  All glories to Srila

>Prabhupada.  All glories to the Vaishnavas who are so nicely executing

>the mission of H.D.G. A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami.

>	Thank you very much, Maharaja, for taking your time to read my

>letter.  Please forgive me if I am offensive in anyway.

>	The second verse of Sri-Guru Vandana translates into, "Make the

>instructions from the lotus mouth of the spiritual master one with your

>heart and do not desire anything else.  Attachment to the lotus feet of

>the spiritual master is the best means of spiritual advancement."  So,

>what I am asking you is how can I cultivate a nice relationship with my

>gurudeva, in my heart.

>	Srila Prabhupada provided the perfect example of a guru-diciple

>relationship, he was completely surrendered to his Guru Maharaja.  And

>although his spiritual master was not physically present he lived in

>Srila Prabhupada's heart through his instruction.

>	Still, I find myself feeling so much seperation from my

>spiritual master because I am not so nicely fixed up.  Please, can you

>give a little counsel on how to keep the order of the spritual master,

>always in the heart, and how to become sincere in our desire to serve

>him?

>	I also have a few questions about anarthas.  How can we

>erradicate them from our hearts?  And how can we smash the false ego?

>Also, how can we chant without offense, and develop steady sadhana?

>Finally, how can we learn to apprieciate and serve the Vaishnavas?

>	Thank you very much, Maharaja, for your time and mercy.

>						Your servant,

Dear Mataji

Hare Krishna. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

You can call me "Madhudvisa dasa" or "Madhudvisa Prabhu" whatever you prefer.

Cultivating a nice relationship with Srila Prabhupada doesn't start in the

heart... Our heart is very dirty at the moment, covered with tons and tons of

dirt accumulated there from thousands and millions of births here in the

material world... So our heart is a little covered at the moment. Devotional

service, Krishna consciousness starts with hearing the pure message of Krishna

from the lips of a pure devotee -- and then putting it into practice in our

lives. The hearing process must be properly done otherwise there will not be

any good result. The speaker must be qualified and the hearer must also be

qualified and the hearing must be submissive, attentive and respectful and one

may question to clarify the subjet matter. But it's not that one has to blindly

hear from any rascal who might want to speak. NO. One must see if the

qualifications are there. And how will we know what the qualifications are??

Srila Prabhupada was one asked how one could tell a cheating guru from a real

guru and he replied if one is trying to purchase gold but doesn't know what

gold is or where it can be purchased there is a very good chance he will be

cheated. First one has to know what gold is... So how to find out what a

qualified spiritual master is? Of course the answer is so obvious. One can

simply read Srila Prabhupada's books and see Srila Prabhupada's perfect

example. If there is a qualified spiritual master he will display the same

humility, purity, attractiveness and potency Srila Prabhupada does. He will

enjoy chanting Hare Krishna, he will be chanting Hare Krishna always, reading

Srila Prabhupada's books always, he will be happy to see his disciples advance

in Krishna consciousness and he will have the potency to actually awaken the

love of God, Krishna, dormant in all our hearts. His preaching will be very

effective... The standards have not changed. If one wants to be the guru he has

to display the same qualities Srila Prabhupada does... Guru is one -- there are

not two standards... It is very clearly described in Srila Prabhupada's books.

Nowadays so many people who are calling themselves "Hare Krishna's" are

accepting "spiritual masters" who certainly don't live up to the descriptions

of the guru in Srila Prabhupada's books. I can only assume they haven't read

Srila Prabhupada's books, or perhaps, they would prefer their "spiritual

master" to be an ordinary mundane being like themselves... It makes everything

very cheep. If the "spiritual master" cannot even follow the principles and

doesn't even enjoy chanting Hare Krishna what hope is there for the

"disciples"?

So if you actually are interested in Krishna consciousness you should avoid the

assocation of such fools who have accepted ordinary men as the "guru". The guru

is not an ordinary man and to consider him as such is offensive. So it is also

offensive to worship an ordinary man as the guru... So this nonsense in ISKCON

has completely destroyed the whole thing. You will not find Krishna

consciousness there. It is far better to find some devotees who are trying to

honestly develop their relationship with Srila Prabhupada. Srila Prabhuapda is

not at all dead as ISKCON would have us believe. He is living in his books and

tapes. So we can take advantage of hearing from him, the undisputed pure

devotee acarya, and whatever clouds of darkness these bogus "gurus" have

created in ISKCON can be blown away by the pure transcendental vibrations

emanating from the lips of our eternal master, His Divine Grace A. C.

Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada...

So hear from Prabhupada in the association of other devotees who want to hear

from Prabhupada. It's a very powerful process... Srila Prabhupada wanted ISKCON

to be a society of pure devotees fully engaged in pure devotional service 24

hours a day. That purity was what set ISKCON apart from every other

organization, it is what attracted me and so many other devotees. The "purity

is the force" as Srila Prabhupada always says. But now, in ISKCON, the purity

has gone so that is a great problem.

If your "spiritual master" is not fixed up you will never be fixed up and by

serving him your anarthas will increase, not decrease. I have seen it so many

times in the past 10 years in ISKCON. So many sincere young boys and girls come

to the movement after reading Srila Prabhupada's books very enthusiastic and

full of energy to serve Srila Prabhupada and Krishna... But they soon find out

that is not possible in ISKCON... "Prabhupada is dead now... You need a

"living" guru... So they are forced to take initiation from a "living"

conditioned soul... And that is the end of the enthusiasm, the energy, the

purity and the beginning of so many anartha's...

So if you want to get rid of your anartha's you have to find someone without

any anartha's and surrender to him, serve him. Srila Prabhupada is available to

us all. We just have to pick up his books and read them. Prabhupada is living

in his books. It is a very simple thing. And when we realize Prabhupada's books

are so wonderful we will want everyone to read them and we will become very

enlivened to distribute them also...

Krishna consciousness is a very simple process -- we just have to follow it. It

is a simple thing. Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krishna is

the Supreme Enjoyer. We are constitutionally servants, we have to serve someone

or something... But we will never be happy with material service in the

material world. Our natural business is to serve Krishna, we will be happy if

we serve Krishna... We just have to surrender to a pure devotee of Krishna who

can guide us, show us how to serve Krishna. But if you surrender to a

conditioned soul you will always be a conditioned soul... The bound cannot

rescue the bound...

"The transcendental vibration from the mouth of a pure devotee is so powerful

that it can revive the living entity's memory of his eternal relationship with

the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krishna... For a conditioned soul

therefore, it is very important to hear from the mouth of a pure devotee, who

is fully surrendered to the lotus feet of the Lord without any material desire,

speculative knowledge or contamination of the modes of material nature... One

may stay in his position of life -- It does not matter what it is -- but if one

hears from the mouth of a pure devotee, he gradually comes to the understanding

of his relationship with the Lord and thus engages in His loving service, and

his life becomes completely perfect." (from Srila Prabhupada's purport to

Srimad-Bhagavatam 4.20.25)

                  tad viddhi pranipatena

                     pariprasnena sevaya

                  upadeksyanti te jnanam

                     jnaninas tattva-darsinah

"Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from

him submissively and render service unto him. The self-realized soul can impart

knowledge unto you because he has seen the truth."

"...mental speculation and dry arguments cannot help one progress in spiritual

life. One has to approach a bona-fide spiritual master to receive the

knowledge. Such a spiritual master should be accepted in full surrender, and

one should serve the spiritual master like a menial servant, without false

prestige. Satisfaction of the SELF-REALIZED spiritual master is the secret of

advancement in spiritual life. Inquiries and submission constitute the proper

combination for spiritual understanding. Unless there is submission and

service, inquiries from the learned spiritual master will not be effective. One

must pass the test of the spiritual master, and when he sees the genuine desire

of the disciple, he automatically blesses the disciple with genuine spiritual

understanding.

"In this verse both blind following and absurd inquiries are condemned. One

should not only hear submissively from the spiritual master, but one must also

get a clear understanding from him, in submission and service and inquiries.

"A bona-fide spiritual master is by nature very kind toward the disciple.

Therefore when the student is submissive and always ready to render service,

the reciprocation of knowledge and inquiries becomes perfect." (From Srila

Prabhupada's purport to Bhagavad-gita 4.34)