Jesus and Krishna (Questions From a Christian)

Dear Noble,

Hello. Hare Krishna! Thanks for writing. The message of Lord Jesus Christ

and the message of Krishna are one and the same. Krishna says in the

Bhagavad-gita:

   "Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O

descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion--at that time

I descend Myself." (Bg 4.7)

The real business of human beings is to make spiritual advancement, to

reestablish our relationship with God. We're not meant to just try and

make a comfortable arrangement here for the satisfaction of our senses.

Eating, sleeping, sex and defense. No. Human life is meant for solving

the real problems: birth, death, old age and disease. It's meant for

answering the real questions: "Who am I?", "What's the purpose of life?",

"Is there a God?", "What is my relationship with God?", "What happens

after death?"...

So whenever religious principles decline in the world, which is the

natural tendency here, God comes here Himself or He sends His

representative or son like Lord Jesus Christ to reestablish the religious

principles. So it's an ongoing process. If you study any culture you'll

find they have some spiritual knowledge, something that gives them the

information the purpose of life is not to just make a comfortable

arrangement here, but this life is a preparation for the next and it

should be used to elevate our consciousness... The language may be

different and the rituals may be different, but the principle of eternal

life is there...

>Do you believe that the Christian Bible is true?

Yes. It is a presentation of the absolute truth according to a particular

time and circumstance. It's not an eternal scripture as it has a

beginning. There are scriptures presented according to time and place and

eternal ones that are relevant for all times and all places.

>Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of God?

Yes. Of course we are all sons of God, but in our current condition we

have forgotten that. In our language Jesus is a shaktavesa avatara, it

means an empowered incarnation of God. So he is not of this material

world. Generally everyone born here is born because of the sins they have

committed in the past. But Jesus was not like that. He came to the Earth

directly from the Kingdom of God on the order of his Father to preach, to

reestablish the principles of religion.

>Do you believe that Jesus died on the cross to save us from sin?

Yes. But you have to follow his instrutions. It's not that you can keep

sinning and say "Jesus died on the cross for my sins, so it's OK". If you

actually accept Jesus as your saviour then he will give you the strength

to stop sinning. What is the meaning of Christianity if the Christians

don't become "Christ-like"? They have to develop the godly qualities...

Not that they can remain as sinners of all types and say "I'm a Christian

-- Jesus has saved me..." If you actually love someone you will follow

his instructions. So Jesus has given so many nice instructions in the

Bible, but it seems the present-day Christians do not take them very

seriously.

You can find Christ being quoted as saying "Thou shalt not kill" in most

of the gospels, but the Christians are running so many slaughter-houses,

killing so many animals... You can find clear instructions that sex is

for bringing nice God-conscious children into the world within religious

marriage only, but so many "Christians" completely ignore this... There

are so many things. If you actually want to be a Christian you have to

follow the instructions of Christ. Otherwise what is the question of

being a "Christian"?

So these days they have made it very cheep. "God is a loving God... He

wouldn't be so mean to have a Hell... No one's perfect... Everyone's a

sinner..." So they just keep on sinning and expect Jesus to keep on

forgiving them. But this is nonsense. You can be forgiven for your past

sins, previous to taking shelter of Jesus, and you can also be forgiven

for accidental sins that you may commit. But not that it will continue.

Not that we can think "I am doing this sinful activity now and Jesus will

forgive me..." No. That mentality -- committing sinful activities on the

expectation that Jesus will forgive them -- is offensive and such sins

are not forgiven.

>Do you believe in a Hell that is a total seperation from God for

>Eternity?

There are hellish planets, middle planets and heavenly planets. The Earth

is a middle planet. The demons go to hell for practically eternity... But

they will get another chance one day... God is merciful after all. Hell

is separation from God, but it is Hell also!! The idea that Hell is total

separation from God is not a very complete understanding of Hell. It is

the sinful, the demons, who go to Hell. So they want total separation

from God... So if Hell was just total separation from God then it would

not really be Hell for the demons... Actually we have to suffer the

reactions to the sinful acts we perform. "What you sow, so shall you

reap." So that is what is happening in Hell. The sinners go there to

suffer the reactions to their sins, it is real suffering, not just

separation from God.

There are many different hellish planets:

   "Sukadeva Gosvami describes the following twenty-eight hells: Tamisra,

Andhatamisra, Raurava, Maharaurava, Kumbhipaka. Kalasutra, Asi-patravana,

Sukaramukha, Andhakupa, Krmibhojana. Sandamsa, Taptasurmi,

Vajrakantaka-salmali, Vaitarani, Puyoda, Pranarodha, Visasana,

Lalabhaksa, Sarameyadana, Avici, Ayahpana. Ksarakardama,

Raksogana-bhojana, Sulaprota, Dandasuka. Avata-nirodhana, Paryavartana

and Sucimukha.

   "A person who steals another's money, wife or possessions is put into

the hell known as Tamisra. A man who tricks someone and enjoys his wife

is put into the extremely hellish condition known as Andhatamisra. A

foolish person absorbed in the bodily concept of life, who on the basis

of this principle maintains himself or his wife and children by

committing violence against other living entities, is put into the hell

known as Raurava. There the animals he killed take birth as creatures

called rurus and cause great suffering for him. Those who kill different

animals and birds and then cook them are put by the agents of Yamaraja

into the hell known as Kumbhipaka, where they are boiled in oil. A person

who kills a brahmana is put into the hell known as Kalasutra, where the

land, perfectly level and made of copper, is as hot as an oven. The

killer of a brahmana burns in that land for many years. One who does not

follow scriptural injunctions but who does everything whimsically or

follows some rascal is put into the hell known as Asi-patravana. A

government official who poorly administers justice, or who punishes an

innocent man, is taken by the assistants of Yamaraja to the hell known as

Sukaramukha, where he is mercilessly beaten.

   "God has given advanced consciousness to the human being. Therefore he

can feel the suffering and happiness of other living beings. The human

being bereft of his conscience, however, is prone to cause suffering for

other living beings. The assistants of Yamaraja put such a person into

the hell known as Andhakupa, where he receives proper punishment from his

victims. Any person who does not receive or feed a guest properly but who

personally enjoys eating is put into the hell known as Krmibhojana. There

an unlimited number of worms and insects continuously bite him.

   "A thief is put into the hell known as Sandamsa. A person who has

sexual relations with a woman who is not to be enjoyed is put into the

hell known as Taptasurmi. A person who enjoys sexual relations with

animals is put into the hell known as Vajrakantaka-salmali. A person born

into an aristocratic or highly placed family but who does not act

accordingly is put into the hellish trench of blood, pus and urine called

the Vaitarani River. One who lives like an animal is put into the hell

called Puyoda. A person who mercilessly kills animals in the forest

without sanction is put into the hell called Pranarodha. A person who

kills animals in the name of religious sacrifice is put into the hell

named Visasana. A man who forces his wife to drink his semen is put into

the hell called Lalabhaksa. One who sets a fire or administers poison to

kill someone is put into the hell known as Sarameyadana. A man who earns

his livelihood by bearing false witness is put into the hell known as

Avici.

   "A person addicted to drinking wine is put into the hell named

Ayahpana. One who violates etiquette by not showing proper respect to

superiors is put into the hell known as Ksarakardama. A person who

sacrifices human beings to Bhairava is put into the hell called

Raksogana-bhojana. A person who kills pet animals is put into the hell

called Sulaprota. A person who gives trouble to others is put into the

hell known as Dandasuka. One who imprisons a living entity within a cave

is put into the hell known as Avata-nirodhana. A person who shows

unwarranted wrath toward a guest in his house is put into the hell called

Paryavartana. A person maddened by possessing riches and thus deeply

absorbed in thinking of how to collect money is put into the hell known

as Sucimukha." (from Srimad-Bhagavatam 5.26 Summary)

So Hell is VERY real...

>Explain the Big bang theory please.(Cause I don't know the exact

>details.)

It's better to ask the scientists -- they are the "experts". There's not

one "Big Bang Theory", it's a term that describes many different theories

and none of them seem to make much sense... There are plenty of articles

on the Sudarsana site (www.krishna.org) you could read. Just use the

search (magnifying glass on the button-bar) Search for big bang...

>I would really appretiate it if you could tell me more about this stuff.

>Just to let you know, I am a Christian Ministries Major.  I just want to

>campare your beliefs with mine.  Thanks!!

Krishna consciousness is not a sectarian religion, it is a scientific

process of reestablishing our forgotten relationship with God, Krishna.

It is for everyone who wants to develop their loving relationship with

God...

Thamks for writing, chant Hare Krishna and be happy!