Re: Books are the key

Dear Robert,

   Thank you for your letter.

> I do.  I do not limit myself to them.  I very much enjoy the company of
> devotees or anyone else who speaks lovingly about the lord.  The exact
> lord is not as important to me as the exact love :-)

   This is true. God is in everyone's heart and if we sincerely want to
   love and serve Him He will help us. He doesn't consider what religion we
   profess to be, He is looking for our desire to serve Him, to reestablish
   or deepen our relationship with Him.

> Pleasure is indeed an ephemeral thing.  I am over 50 now, and have
> learned to equate comfort with health.  We can only achieve a certain
> level.

   Pleasure, real pleasure, is actually different from health. When we talk
   about health we are referring to the body only, but we are not these
   bodies, we are the spirit-spark, the soul within the body. Real pleasure
   is not to be found on the bodily platform, it is a spiritual thing. We
   have to ultimately leave these bodies behind and it is the soul, I, the
   person that goes on to the next life. We can taste real transcendental
   pleasure by engaging in the service of the Lord, that is a higher
   pleasure, a higher tast. If we can experience this higher taste it will
   be very easy for us to give up the lower taste (meat eating, gambling,
   intoxication and illicit sex). These things are attractive only while we
   are on the bodily platform

   You are not over 50 now! That's your body. You are an eternally youthful
   spiritual being full of pleasure and full of knowledge. The body is a
   covering only. The body is getting old and will eventually die but that
   is not you. So we should not be overly concerned about the comforts of
   the body. We have to look after the body, Krishna is in our hearts so
   the body is a temple of Krishna, it is also the vehicle we have to use
   for preaching. But we shouldn't become attached to it and spend all our
   time making plans to satisfy the body.

> > I am sorry to hear about the state of the ISKCON temple there
> Mainly, I like the food -

   The food (prasadam) was also my first experience with Krishna
   consciousness. I couldn't work it out, it seemed to be ordinary food but
   it tasted so good. I got addicted and was going to the restaurant for
   lunch every day and reading Srila Prabhupad's books -- he convinced me
   so I had to join, there was really no other alternative.

   Unfortunately now, in ISKCON, even the food is going off.

> That may explain why I have never felt any spiritual energy around the
> altar in the local temple.  I mean NONE.  What a great joke

   Not a joke actually, a disaster.

> I also chant Hare Kalki to be happy.  I mean it.

   That's alright, Kalki is also Krishna. Krishna appears at different
   times and takes on different forms for particular reasons, but He is
   still Krishna. There is one Supreme Lord, Krishna, however He can
   manifest Himself in any way He desires.

   By the way you mentioned comets in your last letter and I think you may
   have the idea that Kalki is a comet. But actually Kalki appears "like a
   comet". You can imagine a comet hitting the ground, the dust clearing to
   reveal Kalki riding on a beautiful white horse with His huge shining
   weapon ready to kill all the atheists.

   Srila Prabhupada always said commets were inauspicious (of course
   Kalki's appearance is not) and that they pollute the atmosphere and
   forebode disasters.

> Times are changing everywhere.
> 	So tell me, what is the subject of your next book?

   Would you like to suggest one?

Hare Krishna!
Madhudvisa dasa       .

                          Books are the Basis.
          His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

      One Krishna book sold means we go forward one step in our
   Krishna consciousness. We should always remember this. (to
   Vishnujana 4 April, 1971)

      Through the distribution of this literature, we can completely
   annihilate all the bogus yogi groups in the world. Of this fact I
   am sure. Therefore there is no need for us to directly attack
   these charlatans but simply by this distribution of books the
   sunlight of Krishna consciousness will prevail.(to Ramesvara 14
   February, 1973)

      My first concern is that my books shall be published and
   distributed profusely all over the world. Practically, books are
   the basis of our movement. Without our books our preaching will
   have no effect.(to Mandali Badra 20 January, 1972)

      The best news is that you are increasing nicely the
   distribution of my books and literature. This is the best
   activity, to distribute solid information about Krishna. Our
   preaching stands solid on these books. No other movement or cult
   has such a vast background of authority. So we are not afraid to
   challenge anyone and everyone to defeat their philosophy on the
   basis of that authority. Krishna appreciates such strong preachers
   as His dearmost servants, so let us work very enthusiastically to
   drive away rascal philosophy and establish the real religion of
   Bhagavad-gita As It Is. (to Upendra 8 December, 1971)

      Here at Mayapur my Guru Maharaja was printing one paper. It was
   selling for only a few paise. Sometimes whenever one brahmacari
   would go to Navadvipa and sell even a few copies, I would see my
   Guru Maharaja become very much pleased. Even if the brahmacari was
   not a very important member, my Guru Maharaja would become very,
   very pleased with him. He personally instructed me that books are
   more important than big temples. At Radha Kund he told me that
   since constructing the big marble temple at Bhag Bazaar, there
   have been so many difficulties. Our men are envious over who will
   live in each room. I think it would be better to take off all the
   marble and print books. He told me this personally. So I am always
   emphasizing book distribution. It is the better kirtana. It is
   better than chanting. Of course chanting should not stop, but book
   distribution is the best (to Srutadev 24 Oct, 1974)

      Regarding printing our books and literatures, I may inform you
   in this connection that I saw one bulletin of "Indian Railways" in
   which it was specifically advised that every railway servant
   should see to it that the wheels of the carriages or vehicles must
   be moving always, which means the railway is going nicely.
   Similarly all of us should see that our literatures are profusely
   distributed. That means our missionary work is going on nicely.
   Otherwise we are simply sleeping and eating. The literature we
   have already designated as "brhat mrdunga." So distribution of
   literature means great Sankirtana.(to Karandhara 9 Oct, 1971)

      Opening temples should not be encouraged at this time. Subal
   did the same thing in Santa fee years ago, why again is he doing
   the same thing? Hansadutta in Germany instead of increasing the
   temples and Deity worship he has increased the Sankirtana parties.
   He is running on 8 new busses and distributing large quantities of
   literature, this is more important. Neglectful Deity worship means
   offence. So make propaganda in this way, but in the bus there

                                Page - 2

   should not be Deity worship, simply the picture of Guru
   Gurunga.(to Jagadish 15 Aug, 1973)

      So now Krishna has sent you a nice bus, and you also have a
   good field for preaching. Chant, dance, distribute books and
   Prasadam and everything will increase automatically. (Satsvarupa 8
   Aug, 1973)

      Gradually, we shall replace the literatures which are currently
   popular with our own style of transcendental literature. I have
   tried it: any page you open, that is wonderful reading matter. My
   ambition is to spread these books far and wide all over the world
   so that everyone shall read at least one of our books and that
   will change his life. If only 1% become devotees, that will change
   the world.(to Karandhar 2 May, 1972)

      It has been brought to my attention that some of my students
   are not studying. I do not know if this applies to you or the
   devotees under your care, but I must stress again that we must
   have our classes one hour in the morning and one hour in the
   evening and the devotees must also chant regularly their sixteen
   rounds and follow the principles. The rest of the time they may go
   on distribution of my books. So I hope you will do the needful in
   this regard.(to Ramesvara 14 Feb, 1973)

      You state that you will be the largest distributor of Back To
   Godhead in the world. That statement is very pleasing to me,
   because more than anything I want that my students should
   distribute my books and literatures profusely all over the world,
   and this should be our foremost concern, how to do it properly.
   But one thing, now you must try very hard to live up to your
   promise of becoming the largest distributor! (to Sridama 17 Nov,
   1971)

      Book distribution must not be neglected. If things deteriorate
   that is another thing, but it is not the fault of book
   distribution.(Rupanuga 19 Oct, 1974)

      Householders can earn their livelihood by distributing our
   books also. This is one of the points of our new book distribution
   program and you can get more details from Karandhar or
   Rupanuga.(to Sri Govinda 13 Jul, 1971)

      It is much more important that you utilize your valuable time
   and energy to distribute our magazines and books. That is real
   propaganda work.(to Sri Govinda 13 Jul, 1971)

      Book distribution is a very important program and you should
   give much attention to developing it. If anyone simply reads our
   KRSNA Book, Teachings of Lord Caitanya, Nectar Of Devotion,
   Bhagavad-gita As It Is, he is sure to become a Krishna conscious
   person So somehow or other, either through the schools or
   colleges, libraries, life membership program or ordinary sales, we
   must push on this literature distribution program. It is so
   important and a most valuable service to Krishna. (to Vamanadev 5
   Mar, 1971)

      I am glad to hear from you how the distribution of literatures
   is improving. That is the real meaning of improvement.(to
   Balavanta 22 Dec, 1971)

      Again I am feeling overjoyed at hearing of your increased
   distribution program and I request you to increase more and
   more.There can be no limit to our distribution because Krishna is

                                Page - 3

   unlimited, so you may instruct the devotees there about this.(to
   Nityananda 18 Feb, 1973)

      I am very pleased to hear from you that book sales are
   increasing very fast. I am hearing such good news from all over
   the society, and this pleases me more than anything.(to Bhakta 16
   Jan, 1972)

      I am most pleased that you are distributing many books. Go on
   increasing books, and go on increasing my pleasure.(to Giriraj 28
   Dec, 1971)

      I am very much pleased to hear of your increased book
   distribution and it gives me great pleasure to hear of your
   increased eagerness to distribute my literature.(to Ramesvara 14
   Feb 1973)

      I am very pleased that your literature sales are increasing. I
   want this especially, that my books be sold everywhere, as many as
   possible. Kindly do this and I shall be very pleased.(to Bhakta 20
   Nov, 1971)

      Just try to give this Krishna philosophy to the intelligent
   class of men, and distribute our books as many as possible, and
   all your efforts will come out successful.(to Krishna devi 20 Nov,
   1971)

      Practically our society means books, so if there are no books
   how can we preach? (to Bali Mardan 28 Dec, 1971)

      It is very good that you are also going on Sankirtana [Street
   Chanting] and distributing books. Others will be enthused to
   distribute by your example. That is our life. anandambudhi-
   vardhanam. (to Ramesvara 14 Nov, 1974)

      It is so very nice to hear how the book distribution is going
   on. This is our main business, distributing these books all over
   the world and thus turning the minds of the fallen souls towards
   Krishna. (to Sri Govinda 31 Jan, 1973)

      Yes, you are correct that by distributing books, the income
   will be sufficient for all programs. (to Tripurari 12 Nov, 1974)

      These books are so potent that anyone who reads them is sure to
   become Krishna conscious. They are so nice. So we want to make
   propaganda in that way. And if you are enthusiastic & sincere in
   your efforts, then Krishna will give you all facility. (to
   Prahladananda 17 Jun, 1971)

      Regarding book distribution, this is my foremost desire, to
   have my books circulated profusely. (to Prabhu Vishnu 4 Jan, 1975)

      Book distribution is preaching, it should not be thought of as
   done for money. It is executed as a preaching purpose. With these
   guidelines in mind, try to distribute as many books as possible.
   (to Kurusrestha 23 Jul, 1973)

      I am especially glad to see how nicely your St. Louis temple is
   distributing Back To Godhead Magazine. Only three years ago I
   asked Dai Nippon to print 20,000 copies and barely we could
   distribute them. But now in your temple alone you are distributing
   so many, so this is very, very encouraging to me. It is the
   perfect form of preaching. Follow the line laid down by Prahlada
   Maharaja and try to take everyone back home, back to Godhead. And
   this is done by distributing our literature. I am so much pleased

                                Page - 4

   upon each and every one of you for helping me this way to push on
   this great movement. (to Vamandev 3 Dec, 1972)

      This book selling is the real preaching of our cult. Especially
   when you sell Caitanya-caritamrta and Srimad Bhagavatam. They will
   understand what we mean by reading these books. (to Tripurari 12
   Nov, 1974)

      I am encouraged to see your report of books sold, because it
   proves that you consider it your responsibility to see that more
   and more people are reading our literature. Actually, this is the
   solid base for our preaching, and if someone reads our Krishna
   philosophy he becomes convinced. So try to increase the effect of
   preaching by distributing many books and magazines, and this is
   the basis of all your success. (to Jagadish 17 Dec, 1971)

      Thank you very much for your endeavours in book distribution
   and please offer your good wife my blessings for her service in
   this connection. Our preaching work will be measured by the
   quantity of books we distribute so continue ever-increasingly. (to
   Makanlal 11 Dec, 1973)

      Your report of book distribution is very encouraging. Make a
   program to distribute our books all over the world. Our books are
   being appreciated by learned circles, so we should take advantage.
   Whatever progress we have made, it is simply due to distributing
   these books. So go on, and do not divert your mind for a moment
   from this. I have full confidence in you. (to Ramesvara 4 Jan,
   1975)

      This book distribution program is our real propaganda work and
   Krishna is giving you intelligence how to do it nicely. Thank you
   very much. (to Madhucara 25 Sep, 1971)

      We stand on our Krishna philosophy, and because it has the full
   potency of Krishna Himself, there is no limit to the effect it
   will have upon the world if we remain sincere and convinced for
   spreading this philosophy purely. (to Bahlasva 30 Nov, 1971)

      I'm especially pleased to hear that your distribution of our
   books and magazines has increased. Go on in this way, increasing
   more and more. Each time someone reads some solid information
   about Krishna his life becomes changed in some way. These
   literatures are the solid ground upon which our preaching stands,
   so I want that they should be available to everyone, as many as
   possible. So please try for this. (to Damodara 3 Dec, 1971)

      Regarding book distribution, everyone, including book
   distributors must follow the standard regulations. (to Kurusrestha
   23 Jul, 1973)

      We must become now very serious to save the people of the world
   from this very dangerous situation. So become very convinced
   yourself of our philosophy and then your preaching will act. And
   try to sell as many books as possible at all the schools and
   colleges. This is scholarly information, flawless science. Kindly
   assist me in this great work, and know it for certain, that by
   your sincerely working in this way, you shall very soon go back to
   Home, back to Godhead. (to Locan 24 Nov, 1971)

      It is very pleasing to me that you have distributed so many of
   my books and preached to the students. This is our mission of
   life, to somehow turn the minds of the conditioned souls to
   Krishna consciousness and this give them the highest perfection of
   life. So you are a very sincere soul and Krishna will give you

                                Page - 5

   intelligence how to do this more and more. (to Bhakta 31 Jan,
   1973)

      As more students become involved in our philosophical
   discussions, you will be able to sell them our books. I want that
   my books and literatures should be very widely distributed, as
   many as possible. (to Galim 20 Nov, 1971)

      Especially you must always be eager to supply all our branches
   all over the world with whatever literature they require, not that
   they must pay and then get books like ordinary mundane business.
   It is not that they shall not pay for books, but that payment must
   come gradually and in regular instalments. (to Kirtiraja 27 Nov,
   1971)

      Your book distribution, that is very nice. Our books are
   unique, and all this distribution means that they are being
   appreciated. There is no such literature throughout the whole
   world. (to Bhakta 4 Mar, 1973)

      So far as the woman distributors who have left New York and
   Boston temples and have gone to New Vrndavana, they should return
   immediately and resume their original service. In Caitanya
   Mahaprabhu's Movement everyone is a preacher, whether man or
   woman, it doesn't matter. I do not know why Kirtananda Maharaja is
   encouraging our woman devotees not to go out on Sankirtana for
   book distribution. Everyone should go out. (to Karandhar 6 Oct,
   1973)

                             Transcendental
                           Book Distribution
                                Ki Jaya!

                             All Glories to
                          Srila Prabhupada!!!
--

Madhudvisa dasa          |
                         |   S H E L T E R   I N T E R N A T I O N A L

     The ass does not really know for whom he works so hard day and night.