Re: If god exists, what created god?

> In article <56FblelgY95D079yn@calvados.apna.org.au> you wrote:
> :    by chance or accident. Every action has some intelligent direction
> :    behind it. From the creation of the universe to the blinking of our
> :    eyelids, there is a director, a person in charge to make sure
>
> :    The most important person (except Visnu and Siva) in this universe,
> :    the "President" if you like, is Lord Brahma. He is born at the time
> :    the universe is created and he dies at the time of it's destruction
>
> So, who created Brahma and who is in charge to make sure ... ?

Dear Gita,

   Judging by your name I suspect you may know the answer to your very
   perfect question.

   In this material world everyone, even Lord Brahma, has to undergo
   the problems of birth, old-age, disease and ultimately death. So
   although a birth in the heavenly planets (like Brahmaloka) may be
   very nice in that we get a very long life, a beautiful body and
   lots of facility for sense gratification, still ultimately we have
   to get old and die.

   But do we die? Certainly the body gets old and dies. But am I the
   body? If we scientifically analyze the body can we find ourselves?
   Am I my arm? Am I my head? Am I my brain? No. I am the person
   within the body. The body is a machine like a motor car and I am
   it's driver.

                    dehino 'smin yatha dehe
                    kaumaram yauvanam jara
                    tatha dehantara-praptir
                    dhiras tatra na muhyati

   "As the embodied soul continually passes, in this body, from
   boyhood to youth to old age, the soul similarly passes into another
   body at death. The self-realized soul is not bewildered by such a
   change."

   So we are not the body, we are the tiny spiritual particle
   controlling and directing the body.

   Currently, in the material world, we are in an uncomfortable and
   unnatural position. We are spiritual beings imprisoned within
   material bodies which are not at all comfortable. My spiritual
   nature is to be full of pleasure, to be eternally youthful, and to
   to full of knowledge but because I have taken on this body and I am
   identifying with it. I consider myself this body which is mortal,
   full of anxiety and full of ignorance. Just the opposite of my real
   spiritual nature.

   So "Who created Brahma?" A good question. This material world is
   only one fourth of the creation of Krishna (Visnu). Krishna is the
   Supreme Personality of Godhead and he has His own abode, Goloka
   Vrndavana in the spiritual world far, far away from this miserable
   material world.  There the nature is completely spiritual,
   everything is full of knowledge, eternally youthful and full of
   pleasure. In the spiritual world everyone is serving Krishna. There
   are varieties of activities but the goal is one only, to please
   Krishna.

   So did Krishna create Brahma? Krishna says in Bhagavad-gita(15.7):

         mamaivamso jiva-loke jiva-bhutah sanatanah
         manah sasthanindriyani prakrti-sthani karsati

   "The living entities in this conditioned worls are My eternal,
   fragmental parts. Due to conditioned life, they are struggling very
   hard with the six senses which include the mind."

   Hear Krishna says the living entities, of whom Lord Brahma is one,
   are "eternal fragmental parts" so it can not be said that anyone
   created Brahma, or Krishna or you or me. We are all of the same
   eternal spiritual quality however Krishna is great and we are
   small. The example is given of the blazing fire and the small
   sparks. The small sparks are qualitatively the same as the blazing
   fire but they are very small compared to the fire. As soon as the
   sparks leave the fire they loose their shining power. Similarily
   Lord Brahma, and we ourselves, are tiny spiritual particles
   qualitatively the same but quantitatively different form Krishna.
   We have come to the material world and as sparks loose their
   shining power outside the fire we have also lost our spiritual
   nature by separating ourselves from Krishna.

   To regain our original spiritual nature in this age of Kali there
   is only one recommended method the chanting of the maha-mantra:
   Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare
   Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare.

   Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, an incarnation of Krishna appearing
   five hundered years ago in West Bengal described this process as
   "ceto darpanam marjanam.." or cleaning the mirror of the heart. All
   our sinful activities produce seeds which are stored in our heart
   and which cover our clear consciousness and this chanting of the
   Hare Krishna maha mantra clears away all the contamination in the
   heart, purifying it so we can see ourselves and our original
   position as servants of Krishna.

   And "Who is in charge to make sure..." Krishna is in charge of
   everything to make sure everything goes on alright. Sometimes there
   are problems which even Lord Brahma and the other demigods can't
   solve so at such times they go to the beach of the milk ocean
   within this universe and pray to Visnu (Who lives on an island in
   the milk ocean in His form as Ksirodakasayi Visnu) asking Him to
   appear as an incarnation to solve the problem.

   In another posting I have quoted Srila Jayadeva Goswami's
   Dasavatara-strotra which gives a very nice description of ten of
   the incarnations of Vishnu who appeared in this universe at various
   times to perform various activities.

   Actually Krishna doesn't have to appear within this universe to
   kill demons or to do anything else. The whole material energy is
   completely under His control (although He is independent and
   undisturbed by it). So He can kill millions of demons by one
   earthquake. Why does He come here personally? He wants to protect
   His devotees, and He wants to perform pastimes here so His devotees
   will be able to glorify and talk about His pastimes (He enjoys it
   also). Devotees get great pleasure by hearing and describing
   Krishna's pastimes, but if Krishna didn't personally come here and
   display His pastimes what would we talk about?

   Please chant Hare Krishna, read the Bhagavad-gita and Srimad
   Bhagavatam and try and tell everyone you meet something about
   Krishna. This is the most important thing in our lives.

Thank you. Hare Krishna.

--

Madhudvisa dasa          |
                         |   S H E L T E R   I N T E R N A T I O N A L

     The first and foremost devotional activity is to hear about Krishna.

õ2To: Andrew Bromage <bromage@cs.mu.OZ.AU>