The Old Lady Collecting Wood in the Forrest - Conclusion

rogerw@cisco.com (Roger M. Wilcox) wrote:

>In article <3sinfh$a4a@dingo.cc.uq.oz.au> madhudvisa@krishna.org (Madhudvisa dasa       ) writes:
>>cca93039@sun1.bham.ac.uk (ET Chilton) wrote:
>>
>>>ahh I seee its all so clear now. By the way if I want to work out how far away
>>>a star is how do use your theory to get an answer?
>>
>>We have books... The Vedas. You just read them. It's very simple.

>That's odd, I don't remember any of the Vedas mentioning the distance to
>Alpha Centauri or Betelgeuse.  What was the method the Vedas proposed for
>measuring interstellar distances again?

The structure of the universe is really described in the Vedic scriptures.
It will turn out to be correct also... I don't know if the distance to
every star is there or not. Perhaps you could use the red-shift? :-)

>>There is a nice story about an old lady who was collecting firewood in the
>>forest. She had collected quite a big bundle and was carrying it on her
>>back. Then something happened and the bundle fell on the ground. It was
>>very heavy and she didn't know how she would pick it up again. So she
>>cried out "God help me.." And God appeared saying, "Yes, you called Me.
>>What do you want?" So she said, "Please God could you put this bundle on
>>my back again..."

>And ... ?  Well, don't keep us in suspense, Swami, tell us what happens next!

God puts the bundle of sticks on her back and disappears. Then she goes
back home to light the fire...

The moral of the story is we shouldn't call on God to help us in our
material endeavours... [to put the load back on our shoulders] Rather we
could ask to go back home, to the spiritual world...

There is a place which is eternal, full of knowledge and full of pleasure.
These are the things we are looking for. We don't want to die, but here we
are forced to, we don't want to get old and sick, but we are forced to...
So real intelligence means to go to that place where we can reestablish
our original eternal spiritual blissful nature...

But a devotee doesn't even ask for this. We are satisfied anywhere. Heaven
or hell it doesn't matter as long as we remember Krishna... We just serve
Krishna anywhere.

"My dear Lord Nrsimhadeva, I see that there are so many saintly persons
indeed, but they are interested only in their own deliverance. Not caring
for the big cities and towns [or the internet!], they go to the Himalayas
or the forest to meditate with vows of silence. They are not interested in
delivering others. As for me, however, I do not wish to be liberated
alone, leaving aside all these poor fools and rascals. I know that without
Krishna consciousness, without taking shelter of Your lotus feet, one
cannot be happy. Therefore I wish to bring them back to the shelter of
Your lotus feet." (Prahlada Maharaja to Lord Nrsimhadeva)

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)      http://www.krishna.org

Quotes from His Divine Grace A.C.Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
(c)Bhaktivedanta Book Trust