When the Universe Was Dark

                     WHEN THE UNIVERSE WAS DARK...
                     =============================

   The Western scientific  view, primarily stemming  from the work of
   Albert Einstein,  favours  a  world  developed as  a  result  of a
   completely random  process  with  no intelligence  behind  it. His
   theory that all  matter can be  turned into energy  and all energy
   turned into matter  has formed the  basis of all  Western ideas on
   the origins of the universe.

   One commonly held belief, developed  in light of Einstein's theory
   is the  "Big  Bang  Theory".  This theory  maintains  that  a huge
   explosion about 5  billion years  ago created all  the material in
   the universe. The theory  is there, but any  good theory should be
   backed up by  practical experience. If  it is a  fact the universe
   emerged from  a  "big  bang"  then we  should  see  similar things
   happening in nature.

   We have recently  seen one scientist,  Mandelbrot, who stunned the
   scientific world with  his "fractals". He  showed complex patterns
   could be  generated from  fairly simple  mathematical equations if
   these equations are  repeated over and  over again. He  made a big
   thing out of similarity at  different levels. He noticed in nature
   things we see on a  big scale are repeated  on a smaller scale and
   then on an  even smaller scale  and so on. There  is similarity at
   every level. He gave two examples: the coastline and the branching
   structure of a tree.  In both cases  you can look  at any level of
   magnification and the structure is essentially the same.

   If we accept  this work of  Mandelbrot we would expect  to see the
   process of universal  creation mirrored on  a smaller scale within
   our experience.

   If the  hypothesis of  similarity at  different scales  is to hold
   true we would expect  the universal creation to  be similar to any
   other creation  we  experience in  our  day-to-day lives,  but the
   Western scientists explanation  of creation  is completely foreign
   to us.

   If the universe  was created by  a "big bang" then  why couldn't a
   child be created by a "small bang"? A child is essentially a self-
   contained universe so  his creation  should be similar  to that of
   the universal creation.

   I challenge  the scientists  to prove  their "big  bang" theory by
   creating anything  (They should  be  able to  create a  child, but
   failing that  they  could create  a  city,  a building  or  even a
   motorcar) with an  explosion. The  idea is  actually ludicrous, we
   have  no  experience  anywhere   of  an  explosion  ever  creating
   anything, explosions  destroy things.  Instead of  creating order,
   they create  disorder.  This  "big bang"  theory  can't  be simply
   accepted on  the basis  of sentiment,  they have  to give  us some
   proof.

   You  have  probably   (like  myself  before   I  came  to  Krishna
   consciousness) blindly  accepted the  vague ramblings  on the "big
   bang" without  really  giving  it  a second  thought,  but  if you
   analyse the theory it's  not at all plausible.  I have since heard
   another explanation of  the creation  of the universe  which is at
   least as amazing  as the  "big bang"  theory but  it is completely
   reasonable and it is mirrored on a smaller scale in our day-to-day
   experience.

   The universal knowledge we  currently have has  come to us through
   the limited  perceptions of  scientists who's  universal vision is
   not much more valuable than the vision a frog in a well has of the
   universe. The frog  has spent  his whole life  at the  bottom of a
   well three feet wide  but he has developed  so much philosophy, he
   thinks his  universal vision  is perfect,  but what  does he know?
   Similarly  the   scientists,  with   their  telescopes   and  tiny
   spaceships haven't seen much  more of the  universe than the frog,
   but they have  come up  with so  many "scientific  facts". I would
   like you to,  at least theoretically,  consider that reality might
   be completely different from what we accept.

   If we want  to understand  the cosmic creation  we need  to get an
   eyewitness report. If  we want  to find  out the  structure of the
   universe we have to find someone who  has seen it, what is the use
   of a so-called scientist who can only say: "Perhaps it may be like
   this."

   It is not  that the earth  is the only planet  inhabited by living
   entities,  the  living  entities   are  everywhere.  If  we  apply
   Mandelbrot's theory we would expect  to find similar things on all
   the planets.

   We have eyewitness  reports from people  who are not  tied down to
   this tiny planet.  There are  people who can  travel freely within
   the universe  at will  and  one such  great  soul is  Narada Muni.
   Narada Muni is the  spiritual master of  Srila Vyasadeva and Srila
   Vyasadeva is  the  author of  all  the original  Vedic scriptures.
   Vyasadeva simply  wrote  down  the instructions  of  his liberated
   spiritual master  Narada Muni.  Because  Narada has  travelled all
   over the  universe and  also  entered the  spiritual world  he has
   first-hand experience of everything,  his experience is infinitely
   more valuable than the scientists who  are no better than frogs in
   a well.

   The Vedic scriptures  written by Vyasadeva  contain all knowledge,
   both material and  spiritual, so whatever  we want to  know can be
   found in these  books. Of all  the books written  by Vyasadeva one
   book stands supreme, it is called  the Srimad Bhagavatam and it is
   called "the ripened fruit of  the desire-tree of Vedic knowledge."

   The idea  is  the  Vedic  knowledge is  likened  to  a desire-tree
   because it can  fulfil anyone's   desire and  Srimad Bhagavatam is
   the ripened fruit because it contains the topmost, most relishable
   knowledge  of  all  the  Vedas.  Srimad  Bhagavatam  describes the
   creation and  the structure  of this  universe and  its version is
   completely authorized  and  authentic.  Every word  in  the Srimad
   Bhagavatam  is perfect,  there is no speculation  or errors, it is
   pure knowledge  coming from  the  Supreme Personality  of Godhead,
   Krishna, through  the heart  of  Lord Brahma,  the first  and most
   powerful  person  within  this  universe.  From  Lord  Brahma  the
   knowledge is passed to his son  Narada Muni and Narada Muni is the
   spiritual master  of Srila  Vyasadeva. This  is the transcendental
   system, the knowledge is handed  down from the spiritual master to
   the disciple. If the disciple  actually receives the knowledge and
   presents it purely  without adding his  own concoctions and mental
   speculations he becomes qualified to act as a spiritual master.

   This system of  receiving knowledge  is perfect. It  is called the
   descending process because  the knowledge descends  from a perfect
   higher authority,  in this  way  it is  perfect knowledge.  On the
   other hand, the  process used  by the scientists  is the ascending
   process.  By  this  method  one   uses  his  own  intelligence  to
   understand things around him. This  process is not perfect because
   it relies  on  information  gathered through  the  senses  and the
   senses themselves are imperfect.  Our eyes can  only see a limited
   range of the  spectrum, they  can only  focus on  objects within a
   certain range,  they  can only  resolve  objects up  to  a certain
   distance, then  everything  becomes  a  blur.  Similarity  all our
   senses are imperfect, so any knowledge gathered by the senses must
   also be imperfect.

   We can see the "Scientific Process" is imperfect by looking at the
   history of science. Western  scientists have continually disproved
   the theories  held by  their  predecessors, in  retrospect Western
   science can  be seen  as a  collection of  incorrect and imperfect
   guesses.  The  scientists  would  generally  accept  this critique
   however they would  have us  believe they are  learning from their
   mistakes and their guesses are becoming more accurate. While there
   is a  glimmer of  truth in  this, how  long will  it take?  If the
   perfect knowledge is available from  a perfect source why not take
   advantage of it?

   It is  not  mystical and  unexplainable  like a  "big  bang" which
   magically creates the universe from "nothing at all". We have seen
   a father impregnate  a mother  and thus  produce a  child, a small
   universe, so  why  is it  surprising  that the  whole  universe is
   produced as a result of  the Supreme Father, Krishna, impregnating
   the supreme mother,  the mahatattva, or  the material elements. In
   the same way the  father puts the living  entity within the mother
   and the  living  entity  then develops  within  the  mothers womb,
   Krishna, the Supreme Father, places the living entities within the
   womb  of  mother  nature  where  they  develop.  It  is completely
   reasonable.

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!

Follow-Ups: References: