[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Purity is the Force!

"Bhakta Eric (Krishna Cow)" <williams.992@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

>madhudvisa@krishna.org (Madhudvisah dasa      ) wrote:

>>                           Purity is the Force

>>                           ===================

>>    Currently ISKCON is not presenting Krishna consciousness in a pure

>>    way, and  it  is  certainly  not  representing  Srila Prabhupada's

>>    dynamic  preaching  mood  and  great  compassion  for  the  fallen

>>    conditioned souls.

>words are easy to come by, examples are a bit more difficult.

>At Gita-nagari in 1991 or 92 Jayadvaita Maharaja gave a class on

>better preaching and speaking.  In one of his classes he discused

>false dilemmas such as :  "If we [a temple] does not sell stickers,

>the temple will go under."  Jayadvaita Maharaja is the editor of

>the Back to Godhead magazine, practically the voice of ISKCON.  To

>say that these acts go in within ISKCON is true, they do.  But to

>say that they are sanctioned and supported by ISKCON is a lie.

  "Back to Godhead" was supposed to be a magazine to preach outside the

  movement. (Of course it was ecstatic for the devotees as well!) I

  remember one of my first experiences with Krishna consciousness was

  "Back to Godhead". I was living in Perth and going to the Hare Krishna

  restaurant and they had books and "Back to Godhead" magazines

  everywhere. When I saw "Back to Godhead" I was amazed, I asked the

  devotees there how many of these magazines were there and they told me

  it had been coming out every month for the last twenty years. I really

  couldn't believe it. How they could produce such a wonderful magazine.

  So I started reading all the BTG's I could get my hands on and they

  were fantastic. They just presented the philosophy of Krishna

  consciousness from the absolute platform in an easily understandable

  way. Then I started reading Srila Prabhupada's small books, then the

  Bhagavad-gita, then I started the Bhagavatam and by that time I head to

  join. But I don't know what would have happened to me if it had been

  the current BTG's they had in the restaurant...

  I was "fried" with religion and the thing that attracted me to Krishna

  consciousness was the amazing consistency of Srila Prabhupada's books

  and the devotees preaching. Everybody had the same philosophy,

  something I had never seen in any other religious organization. But I

  have seen it change. I joined when the zonal acarya system was still

  going strong and things were clear in ISKCON then. You knew what was

  what and devotees accepted the temple authorities and their gurus.

  There were lots of devotees... I went to London soon after joining and

  there was always more than 100 devotees at Mangal-arati... And there was

  only one philosophy. The philosophy in Prabhupada's books. But now

  there are so many ideas coming from so many different directions.

  Someone told me that now there are as many different philosophies in

  ISKCON as there are devotees...

>>    Srila Prabhupada said  we need devotees  like Prahlada Maharaja to

>>    defeat the demonic, Mayavadi mentality  in ISKCON. Therefore it is

>>    our  responsibility   to   Srila   Prabhupada   to   take  Krishna

>>    consciousness very  seriously,**avoid  poisonous association**, chant

>>    the Hare  Krishna maha  mantra and  read Srila  Prabhupada's books

>>    incessantly and simultaneously distribute Srila Prabhupada's books

>>    and preach Krishna consciousness loudly  all over the world. If we

>>    do this to the best of our ability we will please Srila Prabhupada

>>    and get his mercy.

>Hrdayananda Maharaja once said that distributing Prabhupada's books

>is the topmost service.  Prabhupada said this as well.  Tell me,

>which ISKCON temple does not distribute Srila Prabhupada's books?

>And if there is one, why aren't you there starting a book marathon?

  I have tried (and are still trying) to distribute as many of

  Prabhupada's books as I can.  I've spent most of my time on the streets

  trying to preach to people and sell them Prabhupada's books.  Now the

  most common question people ask me is "What Happened to the Hare

  Krishna's?" One day seven different people asked me! Of course this is

  Australia (it was Sydney in particular) and the devotees have gone from

  very high-profile to almost no profile. I'm sure it's not the same

  everywhere...

  I have myself, as I said, distribute books to my limited capacity and

  I have tried to encourage other devotees but the mood is not there...

  I feel great separation from ISKCON, from the devotees and from the

  Deities but my service is not acceptable in ISKCON because Srila

  Prabhupada is my spiritual master although I didn't have the great

  fortune to see him physically. I met him through his books...

>>    All  glories  to   His  Divine  Grace   A.C.  Bhaktivedanta  Swami

>>    Prabhupada who  has come  to the  Western countries  to defeat the

>>    philosophies of  impersonalism  and  voidism  and  in  their place

>>    establish  pure  devotional   service  to   Krishna,  the  Supreme

>>    Personality of Godhead.

>>                        Hare Krishna Hare Krishna

>>                        Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

>>                           Hare Rama Hare Rama

>>                           Rama Rama Hare Hare

>>    (form "What Happened to the Hare Krishna's?")

Thank you. Hare Krishna!

Madhudvisah dasa

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!