Re: When the Universe was Dark...

donl@physics1.physics.monash.edu.au wrote:

>(Madhudvisa dasa       ) writes:
>

>>                     WHEN THE UNIVERSE WAS DARK...
>>                     =============================

>If you are going to attempt to discredit western science then at least have
>the decency to understand what it is (and is not ) saying.

  I know science doesn't claim to produce facts, only theories which are
  always open to be revised and thrown out the window as soon as someone
  can disprove them. But not everybody knows that. Some people think
  scientists have "proved" the universe came about all by itself from a
  big bang which happened without any cause. To my mind this is
  unreasonable.

><snip>

>>   One commonly held belief, developed  in light of Einstein's theory
>>   is the  "Big  Bang  Theory".  This theory  maintains  that  a huge
>>   explosion about 5  billion years  ago created all  the material in
>>   the universe. The theory  is there, but any  good theory should be
>>   backed up by  practical experience. If  it is a  fact the universe
>>   emerged from  a  "big  bang"  then we  should  see  similar things
>>   happening in nature.

>The logic of this statement defies me.  The big bang is generally considered
>to be quite a special event.  To talk about reproducing it on smaller scales
>appears nonsensical to me.

  Why? What have you seen that only happens once and can't be reproduced
  on a smaller scale?

>But I see there is an attempt to justify it below ...

>>   We have recently  seen one scientist,  Mandelbrot, who stunned the
>>   scientific world with  his "fractals". He  showed complex patterns
>>   could be  generated from  fairly simple  mathematical equations if
>>   these equations are  repeated over and  over again. He  made a big
>>   thing out of similarity at  different levels. He noticed in nature
>>   things we see on a  big scale are repeated  on a smaller scale and
>>   then on an  even smaller scale  and so on. There  is similarity at
>>   every level. He gave two examples: the coastline and the branching
>>   structure of a tree.  In both cases  you can look  at any level of
>>   magnification and the structure is essentially the same.

>>   If we accept  this work of  Mandelbrot we would expect  to see the
>>   process of universal  creation mirrored on  a smaller scale within
>>   our experience.

>I do not even think Mandelbrot (or any other mathematician) suggests that
>chaos theory predicts anything like what you are saying.

  It is a valid application of the theory. Why not?

>>   If the  hypothesis of  similarity at  different scales  is to hold
>>   true we would expect  the universal creation to  be similar to any
>>   other creation  we  experience in  our  day-to-day lives,  but the
>>   Western scientists explanation  of creation  is completely foreign
>>   to us.

>>   If the universe  was created by  a "big bang" then  why couldn't a
>>   child be created by a "small bang"? A child is essentially a self-
>>   contained universe so  his creation  should be similar  to that of
>>   the universal creation.

>>   I challenge  the scientists  to prove  their "big  bang" theory by
>>   creating anything  (They should  be  able to  create a  child, but
>>   failing that  they  could create  a  city,  a building  or  even a
>>   motorcar) with an  explosion. The  idea is  actually ludicrous, we
>>   have  no  experience  anywhere   of  an  explosion  ever  creating
>>   anything, explosions  destroy things.

>The big bang is not an explosion, at least not as you are describing it.
>Anyway energy has already been converted to matter and vice versa.

  So convert some more energy to matter, you've got plenty of energy
  (dynamite, nuclear bombs, etc)....

>> Instead of  creating order,
>>   they create  disorder.  This  "big bang"  theory  can't  be simply
>>   accepted on  the basis  of sentiment,  they have  to give  us some
>>   proof.

>Order in the universe can come about from the negative entropy arising from
>the expansion of the universe (which ties back into the big bang).

  Yes, yes, yes... It built the planets, populated them with such a huge
  variety of living entities, created such beauty and diversity...

>In terms of proof, what do you want?  For God to come down and say "Yep,
>that's the way I did it!".  In its simplest terms, science is about
>observation, speculation and where possible experimentation.  Nobody's ever
>said science knows all.  Science is not so much a discipline as a process.
>New knowledge replaces old.

  It is not impossible that God used a "big bang" to create the universe.
  You have touched on the dynamic nature of scientific knowledge, "New
  replaces old." While science as a process gradually leads one to real
  knowledge the "knowledge" at any point in time is not perfect. I am
  suggesting another source of knowledge, knowledge coming from a higher
  authority. If you can find a perfect authority then you can get the
  perfect knowledge immediately.

>So I challenge you to read a proper scientific text and not just use ideas
>that look like they were developed from popular expositions

  These ideas are reasonable...  The "proper scientific texts" suffer
  from the flaw you have mentioned above, they contain a lot of
  speculation. There is no perfect knowledge in them. I'd rather read the
  Srimad Bhagavatam...

><SNIP>

>>   It is not  that the earth  is the only planet  inhabited by living
>>   entities,  the  living  entities   are  everywhere.  If  we  apply
>>   Mandelbrot's theory we would expect  to find similar things on all
>>   the planets.

>Again, I believe this is an improper interpretation of chaos theory.

><SNIP>

>>   It is  not  mystical and  unexplainable  like a  "big  bang" which
>>   magically creates the universe from "nothing at all". We have seen
>>   a father impregnate  a mother  and thus  produce a  child, a small
>>   universe, so  why  is it  surprising  that the  whole  universe is
>>   produced as a result of  the Supreme Father, Krishna, impregnating
>>   the supreme mother,  the mahatattva, or  the material elements. In
>>   the same way the  father puts the living  entity within the mother
>>   and the  living  entity  then develops  within  the  mothers womb,
>>   Krishna, the Supreme Father, places the living entities within the
>>   womb  of  mother  nature  where  they  develop.  It  is completely
>>   reasonable.

>As far as I know, the big bang is not "magical".  It (mostly) comes from
>fairly well accepted ideas.  Its just a little difficult to test in the lab :)

>Now admittedly, I am neither a chaos theoretician or an astrophysicist but I
>do think you are barking up the wrong tree.  Are there any more knowledgeable
>people out there that can elucidate further?

Hare Krishna.

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!