Science is Closing its Eyes...

KJM@mfs1.ballarat.edu.au (Kevin Moore) wrote:

>In article <xZnglelgYn2S079yn@calvados.apana.org.au>
>madhudvisa@krishna.org (Madhudvisa) writes:

><piffle deleted, but the following riled me again>
>
>>>  Hence, even though these may be logical questions to ask, the answers
>>> don't have to be "common-sensish."

>>   This is the escape of one who doesn't know the answers and who can never
>>   find them out. There is nothing which is not "common-sensish" one simply
>>   has to understand the science of it -- that's all.

>Given that what you seem intent on doing is to fit science neatly into your
>set of beliefs, ignoring the bits that don't fit, the idiocy of this statement
>is breathtaking, Madhudvisa. Having accepted your religion, you have ceased to
>question. How, then, can you expect to know answers? You have traded your
>chance at wisdom for the cheap rhetoric of the priesthood.

  The statement is "There is nothing which is not 'common-sensish' one
  simply has to understand the science of it -- that's all" is quite
  valid. There are so many examples one could quote. In India when the
  British started the railway system the trains were not initially very
  well understood by some of the villagers. But now they understand [more
  or less] how the trains work so it's not a problem any more. You may
  consider the big bang not "common-sensish" at the moment but when you
  understand the science of it it will become "common-sensish".

  Science is knowledge of matter only [at least at the moment]. Science
  closes its eyes completely to the vast amount of evidence pointing to
  the existence of a spiritual component. I suggest you are the ones in
  darkness. You only accept the things you can directly perceive with
  your senses even though [for example] it seems quite apparent that
  consciousness [the difference between a living body an a dead one] is
  something real that can't be explained by a combination of chemicals.

  As for your attack on religion and spirituality as being unable to
  provide answers to questions, this is your own personal opinion. Many
  people do not share your opinion. How can you say you are correct and
  they are wrong? Is this not a subjective judgement?

  As far as "ignoring the bits that don't fit". That is quit an
  acceptable policy within science now. But everything fits very nicely
  within the philosophy of Krishna consciousness. That's one of the main
  things which attracted me to it.

  Thanks for the question. Hare Krishna.

>>   Please chant Hare Krishna and be happy!

>Why? I'm happy enough as I am.

  That is maya. Everybody thinks they are happy [or at least they will be
  happy in the future]. Just go to the hospital and ask the people who
  are suffering there, "How are you today Mrs. Such&such", "Oh today I'm
  much beter..." It's what enables us to go on struggling in the material
  world. It's not a happy place. We don't want to get old, but we are
  forced to, we don't want to get sick, but we are forced to, we don't
  want to die but we have to. There are also three other types of
  problems here; our mind is always causing problems, even when there is
  nothing to worry about we are anxious about something; the other living
  entities cause us distress [other people, mosquitoes, flies, etc.]; and
  so many problems are imposed on us by nature [too hot, too cold,
  earthquakes, fires, etc...]

  To consider oneself happy surrounded by so many problems is not so
  intelligent.

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!