Good News doesn't Sell Newspapers!

                   Good News Doesn't Sell Newspapers.
                   ==================================

   If a  newspaper  writes good  stories  about happy  things, people
   having    comfortable   lives,  people   enjoying  themselves  in
   different ways,  not many  people  will buy  the  newspaper.    We
   prefer to read  about other  people in  distress, we  want to hear
   about other peoples' sufferings. So  when we pick up the newspaper
   we don't  find  many  good  things. We  find  stories  about plane
   crashes, stories  about murders,  stories about  so many  types of
   suffering. When we read the  newspapers or watch the television we
   think, "I'm not so  badly off after all,  my life is alright. Look
   at all those other people -  they're suffering so much, and here I
   am with  only a  few little  problems. So  my life is  good." This
   mentality is  drummed  into  us. In  Australia  people  are always
   telling us,  "Life is  so  good in  Australia compared  with other
   countries in the world. We're very  fortunate to be here. Out life
   is very good."

   So we like to hear about  other countries, particularly we like to
   hear about them if  they are in a  distressful condition, if there
   is some poverty, if there is some hunger, if there is a famine, if
   there is an earthquake. We love to  hear about it. Then we like to
   give some  charity, some  donations,  we think,  "Oh, let  us help
   these poor  people  who  are  suffering." We  want  to  be  in the
   position of God. We want to  think some other country is suffering
   so now  let  me  solve  their  problems.  This  is  an interesting
   subject. We think we  can reduce the  suffering in other countries
   by giving them some money. This doesn't take the law of karma into
   account. According to  the law  of karma  we are  all enjoying and
   suffering according to our destiny.  We are born into a particular
   country, into a particular situation according to our past karma.

   Karma means I have done things in  the past and as result of these
   activities "seeds" have been  planted in my heart.  If I have been
   good there are  good seeds  in my  heart and  if I  have been bad,
   there are bad seeds or sinful seeds in my heart.

   Seeds of a tree  take a long  time to grow, but  if you take other
   seeds, say grass  and weed seeds,  they grow quickly.  In the same
   way there  are many  seeds in  our  hearts and  some of  them grow
   quickly, people  talk about,  "instant  karma", when  the reaction
   comes  very  quickly.  However  karmic  reactions  are  not always
   instant. Often the  reaction doesn't come  for a long  time, so we
   continue performing sinful  activities and our  life may appear to
   be very nice.

   Sometimes a person who  is very sinful,  almost everything he does
   is bad, still has plenty of money and a beautiful body. Everything
   seems to  be going  well for  him. But  this is only  a short-term
   display because he  is planting  seeds in his  heart, every sinful
   activity he performs  puts one more  seed in his heart  and in due
   course of  time all  the seeds  will grow,  but it may  not happen
   immediately. We  have to  suffer the  reactions of  all our sinful
   activities, there's no doubt about  it, there is no question about
   it.

   So  what  are  sinful  activities?  There  are  many,  many sinful
   activities, unlimited  sinful activities.  It is  described in the
   Srimad Bhagavatam that  there are many  different hellish planets.
   This earth planet  is one of  the middle planets. Here  we can see
   both sides  of  the coin,  we  can see  happiness and  we  can see
   distress. In this way the earth is a good place for spiritual life
   because sometimes we are  happy and sometimes  we are suffering so
   we can see  the contrast between  the two. If somebody  is in hell
   he's always suffering,  he's just  struggling to  live, he doesn't
   have time to ponder the more subtle meaning of life.

   We can even see it on this planet, there are hellish countries, if
   somebody is living in a country  where there is no food, he spends
   his whole existence trying to get  food and being sick. He doesn't
   really have  any  time to  think  about anything  except  the food
   problem. Similarly if somebody is  in a very comfortable position,
   a place where the weather is  very good, the surroundings are very
   nice,  the   women  are   very   beautiful,  everything   is  very
   comfortable. Sometimes we can see  places like this, say Byron Bay
   [on the  Gold Coast  in  Australia]. Byron  Bay  is a  nice place,
   everyone there is  very sun-tanned and  they have beautiful bodies
   and mostly  they are  unemployed, they  have nothing  to do except
   surfing and lying on the beach, it's that type of lifestyle. It is
   very difficult  in  that  lifestyle  to  understand  the suffering
   conditions of  the world.  They are  in a  very heavenly position.
   Even on this planet we can  see both people in great suffering and
   those who are  very comfortable can't  easily understand spiritual
   life. This is a  very important point. It  is fortunate to be able
   to see both sides of the coin.

   The idea is people enjoying nice comfortable lives are enjoying as
   a result of their past good activities and those who are suffering
   are suffering because  of their  past sinful  activities. It's not
   necessarily the case that the person who is enjoying is now pious,
   he might now be completely sinful.  He may have taken advantage of
   his good birth and  used it for sinful  activities. It is also not
   necessarily the  case  that a  man  suffering the  results  of his
   sinful activities is a sinful  man at the moment.  It may be he is
   very pious, very religious. So  this is the intricate arrangement.
   It's not that what's happening to me  at the moment is a result of
   my activities at the  moment or yesterday or  last week, even last
   year  or  the  year  before.  The  enjoyment  and  suffering I  am
   experiencing now is the result of activities I have performed over
   many, many lifetimes.

   We've been  in  this  material  world since  time  immoral.  It is
   practically impossible  for us  to trace  out when  we entered the
   material world.  We  are  described  as  nitya-baddha,  this means
   "eternally conditioned". Practically speaking,  we are here in the
   material world eternally. We don't really  get out of the cycle of
   birth and death. We are transmigrating from one species of life to
   another. Sometimes we have  this human body,  sometimes we have an
   animals body, sometimes we have a  trees body, sometimes we have a
   demigod's  body  -  a  body  situated  in  the  heavenly  planets,
   sometimes we take our  birth in the  hellish planets, sometimes we
   take birth  in  different universes.  We  even existed  before the
   creation. We are described as  "anadi", adi means the beginning of
   the creation but the living entity is anadi, that means we existed
   before the creation. This is an inconceivable amount of time. It's
   not just one or two  or ten births. It's  a huge number of births.
   Even the time  one creation spans  is practically inconceivable to
   us.

   It's described we  have existed in  many creations so  we have had
   millions  and  millions   and  millions,  so   many  births,  it's
   unbelievable. Practically  speaking  we  are  stuck  here.  We are
   described as nitya baddha, eternally conditioned. It's only by the
   mercy of a pure  devotee that we  can get free  from this cycle of
   birth and death.  By our  own strength it  is not  possible to get
   out. It's like drowning in the ocean.  Even if you are a very good
   swimmer, if you are in the middle of the ocean, you may be able to
   swim half a mile, one mile, two  miles, even if you could swim ten
   miles, if you  are in  the middle of  the ocean  it's thousands of
   miles to the nearest  island. So what  is the use  even if you can
   swim twenty  miles? It's  useless. Our  own strength  in spiritual
   activities is like that. We can't  conceive of Krishna. We have to
   get the mercy  of somebody  who is  Krishna's representative, that
   person can deliver Krishna to us. This is the process. This is the
   way of  escaping,  this  is  the  lifeboat  Krishna  sends  to the
   material world to give us the  opportunity to come back home, back
   to Godhead.  We have  to be  prepared to  take this  lifeboat from
   Krishna to  make  our  life  perfect and  go  back  home,  back to
   Godhead.

   The  process  for  getting  out  of  this  unlimited  struggle and
   repetition of birth and death is:

               tad viddhi pranipatena pariprasnena sevaya
            upadeksyanti te jnanam jnaninas tattva-darsinah

   This means we  must approach  a bona fide,  pure devotee spiritual
   master, service  him  and enquire  from  him submissively.  Such a
   great soul can give real knowledge  because he has seen the truth.
   This is the process. We have to  find a liberated soul, we have to
   find somebody  who has  seen Krishna,  who has  seen the spiritual
   world. The  spiritual  master can  also  show  us how  we  can see
   Krishna, how  we can  also see  the spiritual  world. This  is the
   process of Krishna consciousness.

   Visvanatha  Cakravarti  Thakura   has  given   a  prayer:  saksad-
   dharitvena samasta-sastrair  uktas tatha  bhavyata eve  sadbih, it
   means the  spiritual  master  is worshipped  as  Krishna, directly
   Krishna and this is confirmed in all the scriptures. To understand
   this we  have to  understand the  nature of  the spiritual master.
   Krishna is called Bhagavan and the spiritual master is the servant
   Bhagavan, Krishna is syam bhagavan,  the original Bhagavan and the
   spiritual master  is  the servant  Bhagavan.  He's the  servant of
   Krishna  and  because  he  is  Krishna's  servant  he  doesn't say
   anything Krishna hasn't  said. He  is a  transparent via-medium to
   Krishna.

   When the spiritual master  speaks it can  be understood Krishna is
   speaking because the spiritual master  doesn't have his own ideas.
   We find so many mundane  philosophers and mundane religious people
   who all speak something  different, they have  their own ideas and
   their own twist on the philosophy,  but a real spiritual master is
   not like that. A real spiritual master doesn't have his own ideas,
   he simply presents  Krishna's ideas. He  presents the ideas coming
   to him  through  the  disciplic succession.  This  is  the process
   recommended in the Bhagavad-gita (4.1-2), Krishna tells Arjuna, "I
   instructed this supreme science to  the sun-god Vivasvan and he in
   turn  instructed  it  to  Manu,  the  father  of  mankind, and  he
   instructed it  to  Iksvaku. In  this  way the  science  of Krishna
   consciousness has been  coming down  through the ages,  but now it
   has become lost  so now  I will speak  that same  science again to
   you."

   The real spiritual  master doesn't speak  anything new, he doesn't
   manufacture anything with  his tiny brain.  Our manufactured ideas
   are imperfect. We can see it's a fact, you can test anything - any
   mundane  philosophy  or  science   is  not  perfect.  However  the
   knowledge in the  Vedic scriptures  and the  knowledge coming from
   the pure  devotee  is  perfect because  the  pure  devotee doesn't
   manufacture anything  or add  anything to  it. He  is described as
   being something like the  postman. The postman  takes the mail and
   simply delivers it to you, he  doesn't do anything else, he simply
   delivers the mail. This  is the business  of the spiritual master,
   he simply delivers the message of Krishna, he doesn't change it in
   any way. He doesn't try to bring it into his service.

   A real spiritual master is the  servant of the servant of Krishna.
   Lord Caitanya  Mahaprabhu said,  "I don't  want to  become a great
   devotee, I simply want to become the servant of the servant of the
   gopis in Vrndavana." The gopis  are Krishna's greatest servants so
   Lord Sri  Caitanya  Mahaprabhu  doesn't want  to  become Krishna's
   servant directly, nor does he  want to become directly the servant
   of the gopis,  he wants to  be the  servant of the  servant of the
   servant of the gopis.  This is very  instructive, we should become
   the servant of the servant of  the servant of Krishna, not that we
   should have a desire  to become a big  preacher or something else.
   If as a result  of becoming the servant  of the servant of Krishna
   we have  some realisation  we  naturally want  to give  people the
   benefit of that realisation, we want to tell them about Krishna.

   This is the purport of the verse  I a speaking on. The verse says:
   "If one is unhappy to see  the distress of other living beings and
   happy  to  see  their   happiness  his  religious  principles  are
   appreciated as imperishable by  exalted persons who are considered
   pious and benevolent." The real purport  of this verse can only be
   understand  when  one  becomes  purified  by  engaging  in Krishna
   consciousness because  when  we  become  purified  through serving
   Krishna we can see  things as they are.  In our ordinary condition
   under the  modes of  nature,  generally we  are influenced  by the
   modes of passion  and ignorance  and we  can't see  things as they
   are. We accept something which  is very obnoxious and creates many
   painful suffering reactions  as being a  happy condition. We think
   if someone has a nice women, a  nice house and lots of money he is
   happy. When this  verse talks  about the distress  of other living
   beings, it doesn't  mean somebody  who is  poor or  doesn't have a
   nice girl friend, it means somebody who doesn't have any spiritual
   knowledge.

   The person who is situated  in spiritual knowledge has no distress
   for himself  because  he is  always  enjoying pleasure  by serving
   Krishna. But he  feels very  unhappy to  see the  suffering of the
   materialistic people. He can  see they are  suffering and he wants
   to help them, he wants to  show them how they can become eternally
   happy. I have  some small  personal experience  of this,  I go out
   most day's and try to distribute books and I see peoples faces and
   there is  so  much  pain,  so  much  suffering.  These  people are
   suffering like  anything, they  are not  happy and  it is becoming
   very distressful to myself as a devotee to think how to help them.
   This is a proper feeling for a  devotee but it is a very difficult
   condition at the moment.

   I was speaking to a young man last week whose girl friend had just
   left him. He  was so distressed,  he had tried  to commit suicide.
   When I was  talking to  him he was  completely drunk,  he had been
   drinking for days. He took it as such an important thing whereas a
   devotee is not disturbed by such things. We have to understand, "I
   am not this  body, I am  the spirit  soul, I am  the person inside
   this  body.  This   body  is   just  a   machine."  Krishna  says:
   yantrarudhani mayaya,  "This  body  is  a  machine  made  from the
   material energy and I am seated on that machine." The relationship
   between a man and a women is  only on the basis of the machine. It
   is concerned with satisfying the genitals, nothing else. It's very
   difficult because this young man was thinking, "Let me kill myself
   because my girl friend  has left me." And  this is not an isolated
   occurrence, so many young men  in Australia are killing themselves
   for this reason,  "My girl  friend has  left me."  This means they
   have no education, they  have no knowledge of  the real purpose of
   life. They  have  no knowledge  even  of  what life  is,  they are
   thinking, "I am this body and if I satisfy this body, particularly
   if I satisfy my genitals, I'll be happy."

   We have  to understand  people  are suffering  in this  world only
   because of a lack of  spiritual knowledge. They are suffering only
   because they don't know Krishna.  The solution to all the problems
   is to give them  knowledge about Krishna and  the easiest way, the
   best way is to  give them the opportunity  to hear the chanting of
   Hare Krishna Hare  Krishna, Krishna  Krishna Hare  Hare/ Hare Rama
   Hare Rama,  Rama Rama  Hare Hare  and to  give them  prasadam, the
   remnants of food offered to  Krishna. If somebody tastes food that
   has been offered to Krishna they become purified, if someone hears
   the holy name of  Krishna they become  purified, if somebody reads
   these books about Krishna they  become purified, if somebody hears
   the words  coming from  the  lips of  a  pure devotee  they become
   purified.

   Purification is a continuous process but if we understand a little
   bit about Krishna the natural next step is to serve Krishna, to do
   something to please  Krishna. If you  love someone it  is not that
   you think, "Oh this is very nice," and you just sit back and don't
   do anything. No.  When the love  develops in your  heart there are
   activities, there  is  service. If  one  has actually  developed a
   little love for Krishna  he will want to  serve Krishna 24 hours a
   day without stopping. He wants to  organize his life in such a way
   that not a single  moment is wasted. He  wants to arrange his life
   so that  every  day, 24  hours  a day,  he is  always  thinking of
   Krishna and serving Krishna.  This can be very  easily done in the
   association of  devotees  so we  need  to form  an  association of
   devotees to  facilitate this  service to  Krishna. There  are many
   loving exchanged between devotees which  help us to become Krishna
   consciousness:

              dadati pratigrhnati guhyam akhyati prcchati
           bhunkte bhojayate caiva sad-vidham priti-laksanam

   Srila Rupa  Gosvami  has  described in  the  Sri  Upadesamrta, his
   introductory book to Krishna consciousness, the different kinds of
   loving exchanges that  nurture devotion to  Krishna. These are the
   giving of gifts, receiving gifts,  giving prasada [food offered to
   Krishna], accepting  prasada,  revealing  ones mind  to  the other
   devotee and  inquiring  confidentially.  These  exchanges  of love
   nurture the development of Krishna consciousness.

   A devotee doesn't want to associate with materialistic persons, he
   just wants  to associate  with  devotees, he  wants to  hear about
   Krishna, he wants  to associate with  people who will  talk to him
   about Krishna. This is  the only desire of  the devotee. Of course
   he associates with everybody  to preach. We  go out and distribute
   books and talk to  people but we don't  take their association, it
   is not that we  enter into their business.  We see their suffering
   and we want to bring them into our business, we want to bring them
   to Krishna consciousness, to engage  them in chanting Hare Krishna
   so they won't suffer any more, so  they will be happy. This is the
   real mercy, this is the real  humanitarian welfare work, it is the
   best activity, it is  all auspicious and  beneficial for the whole
   world so everyone should take  up this activity  of spreading the
   chanting of Hare Krishna Hare  Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare/
   Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare very seriously.

   Thank you very much. Hare Krishna.

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!