Re: Life on Other Planets

jamccoy@maurabrid.win-uk.net (John McCoy) wrote:

>>  Matter can not move unless touched by spirit.
>>
>>  (In the Vedic scriptures it's not Thor, it is Indra, but the idea is
>>  the same, there is a person in charge of it - it's not happening by
>>  itself. Have you ever wondered why they have never been able to predict
>>  the weather? It's because there's a person controlling it! Predicting
>>  the weather is something like predicting where the car in my garage
>>  will go each morning. Most mornings I drive to work... but I can always
>>  decide to drive somewhere else... How can you predict that?)
>>

> Sir, are you for real?
>  Yes, it might be difficult to predict exactly which synonym for
>tripe I will use to describe the abive nonsense, but you can be
>sure I won't like reading it.
> So. Some things are predictable, even where "free-willed" humans
>are involved.
>  Weather has no free will. It is a complex soup of forces acting
>on a complex ( and, where I live, stinking smelly petrolly) soup
>of masses. It is not totally predictable, nothing is, that is the
>cosmos we live in. But it is predicted by the Meteorological
>Office of the U.K. a hell-of-a-lot better than elections, sports
>games, music charts, traffic flows and sales of ice-cream. Don't
>take my word for it, they have a Press Office, they'll supply
>staistics, if you pay them enough.

  They have to produce such statistics to secure their jobs! I think the
  English weather [from my various visits and a six month stay there] is
  actually quite predictable. Even if they were just making educated
  guesses from what they see out the window I still think they would be
  correct much of the time.

  You say "weather has no free will" as if it is an axiomatic truth. But
  how do you know it isn't controlled by someone? I have heard of
  computer simulations of the planet that keep freezing up. Why doesn't
  the planet freeze up?  Why does the level of the ocean stay so
  constant? Why does the temperate of the sun remain within an acceptable
  range? In your theory you require on an incredibly improbable explosion
  [the energy somehow just magically manifested itself from nowhere and
  turned itself into mass which contracted and formed all that we see
  before us today [the big bang].

  That's alright. Lets say we accept that. Now the whole system has to be
  maintained. Everybody knows building something is not the end of it.
  You look at any shopping complex, any university, any town, they all
  have a maintenance crew to fix things when they break and keep the
  whole show running smoothly. So the universe also has to be kept
  running smoothly. After all it is matter, it's a big organization. If
  our small organizations require maintenance surely the universe does as
  well. Your theory also requires an equally improbable miracle every day
  to keep the system running smoothly.

  We see it running smoothly but we don't see the maintenance staff. That
  doesn't necessarily mean there is no maintenance staff. You may never
  see the garbage collectors and the street sweepers but you would
  certainly notice if they stopped working!

>  Meteorology is an extremely successful Science,  not one of your
>superstitions like religion.

  Showing your bias here. How do you know religion is superstition? And
  saying "meteorology is an extremely successful science" doesn't make it
  true. My practical experience from looking at their forecasts [at least
  here in Australia] is they do OK when things are relatively stable and
  predictable [as you would expect] but they are no so good at predicting
  the changes...

>  And major marketing companies pay serious money for forecasts.
>They don't pay much for forecasts of horse races.

  Why don't they just get them from the Weather Bureau or read them in
  the newspapers. Surely they are doing it as a public service. Or can
  they provide more accurate forecasts if you pay more money?

>  So, please, use some other example when you want to analogise,
>or coin a metaphor for uncertainty.

  I think it is a nice one...

>  And, if you have the nous, try actually *studying* Meteorology
>before you condemn it.

  I still am not convinced they can accurately predict the weather. They
  don't seem to be able to predict earthquakes either...

>     Peace and love,              John.

Thank you. Hare Krishna.

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!