Mind, Body and Spirit

Marian said:

>>between

>>This is fine except for me it does not go far enough. I am trying to learn
>>more of the writings of Sri Aurobindo - and unfortunately currently do not
>>own any texts - but he goes into finer detail on the above - particularly at
>>level of mind, and soul and beyond soul.
>>I'd cewrtainly like to do further clarification at this point but me ability
>>to explain myself clearly will be faulty.

  These things (the mind and beyond) are nicely covered in the sixth
  chapter of the Bhagavad-gita "Sankhya-yoga"

  It's all there. It's best to read it and then ask more specific
  questions. I really don't know where to start. So I have included part
  of the sixth chapter below. I have a spare paperback copy of Srila
  Prabhupada's Bhagavad-gita here that I could mail to you if you don't
  have it. If you just email me with your postal address I can put it in
  the "old-fashioned" mail....

                          uddhared atmanatmanam
                            natmanam avasadayet
                        atmaiva hy atmano bandhur
                           atmaiva ripur atmanah

  One must deliver himself with the help of his mind, and not degrade
  himself. The mind is the friend of the conditioned soul, and his enemy
  as well.

                                 PURPORT

  The word atma denotes body, mind and soul--depending upon different
  circumstances. In the yoga system, the mind and the conditioned soul
  are especially important. Since the mind is the central point of yoga
  practice, atma refers here to the mind. The purpose of the yoga system
  is to control the mind and to draw it away from attachment to sense
  objects.  It is stressed herein that the mind must be so trained that
  it can deliver the conditioned soul from the mire of nescience. In
  material existence one is subjected to the influence of the mind and
  the senses.  In fact, the pure soul is entangled in the material world
  because the mind is involved with the false ego, which desires to lord
  it over material nature.  Therefore, the mind should be trained so that
  it will not be attracted by the glitter of material nature, and in this
  way the conditioned soul may be saved. One should not degrade oneself
  by attraction to sense objects.  The more one is attracted by sense
  objects, the more one becomes entangled in material existence. The best
  way to disentangle oneself is to always engage the mind in Krsna
  consciousness.  The word hi is used for emphasizing this point, i.e.,
  that one must do this. It is also said:

   ``For man, mind is the cause of bondage and mind is the cause of
     liberation. Mind absorbed in sense objects is the cause of bondage,
     and mind detached from the sense objects is the cause of
     liberation.'' (Amrta-bindu Upanisad 2)

  Therefore, the mind which is always engaged in Krsna consciousness is
  the cause of supreme liberation.

                                  TEXT 6

                         bandhur atmatmanas tasya
                           yenatmaivatmana jitah
                          anatmanas tu satrutve
                          vartetatmaiva satru-vat

  For him who has conquered the mind, the mind is the best of friends;
  but for one who has failed to do so, his mind will remain the greatest
  enemy.

                                 PURPORT

  The purpose of practicing eightfold yoga is to control the mind in
  order to make it a friend in discharging the human mission. Unless the
  mind is controlled, the practice of yoga (for show) is simply a waste
  of time. One who cannot control his mind lives always with the greatest
  enemy, and thus his life and its mission are spoiled. The
  constitutional position of the living entity is to carry out the order
  of the superior.  As long as one's mind remains an unconquered enemy,
  one has to serve the dictations of lust, anger, avarice, illusion, etc.
  But when the mind is conquered, one voluntarily agrees to abide by the
  dictation of the Personality of Godhead, who is situated within the
  heart of everyone as Paramatma. Real yoga practice entails meeting the
  Paramatma within the heart and then following His dictation. For one
  who takes to Krsna consciousness directly, perfect surrender to the
  dictation of the Lord follows automatically.

                                  TEXT 7

                          jitatmanah prasantasya
                            paramatma samahitah
                          sitosna-sukha-duhkhesu
                            tatha manapamanayoh

  For one who has conquered the mind, the Supersoul is already reached,
  for he has attained tranquillity. To such a man happiness and distress,
  heat and cold, honor and dishonor are all the same.

                                 PURPORT

  Actually, every living entity is intended to abide by the dictation of
  the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is seated in everyone's heart
  as Paramatma. When the mind is misled by the external, illusory energy,
  one becomes entangled in material activities. Therefore, as soon as
  one's mind is controlled through one of the yoga systems, one should be
  considered to have already reached the destination. One has to abide by
  superior dictation. When one's mind is fixed on the superior nature, he
  has no alternative but to follow the dictation of the Supreme. The mind
  must admit some superior dictation and follow it. The effect of
  controlling the mind is that one automatically follows the dictation of
  the Paramatma, or Supersoul. Because this transcendental position is at
  once achieved by one who is in Krsna consciousness, the devotee of the
  Lord is unaffected by the dualities of material existence, namely
  distress and happiness, cold and heat, etc. This state is practical
  samadhi, or absorption in the Supreme.

                                  TEXT 8

                          jnana-vijnana-trptatma
                          kuta-stho vijitendriyah
                          yukta ity ucyate yogi
                          sama-lostrasma-kancanah

  A person is said to be established in self-realization and is called a
  yogi [or mystic] when he is fully satisfied by virtue of acquired
  knowledge and realization. Such a person is situated in transcendence
  and is self-controlled. He sees everything--whether it be pebbles,
  stones or gold--as the same.

                                 PURPORT

  Book knowledge without realization of the Supreme Truth is useless.
  This is stated as follows:

                          atah sri-krsna-namadi
                        na bhaved grahyam indriyaih
                          sevonmukhe hi jihvadau
                          svayam eva sphuraty adah

  ``No one can understand the transcendental nature of the name, form,
    quality and pastimes of Sri Krsna through his materially contaminated
    senses. Only when one becomes spiritually saturated by transcendental
    service to the Lord are the transcendental name, form, quality and
    pastimes of the Lord revealed to him.'' (Bhakti rasamrta-sindhu
    1.2.234)

  This Bhagavad-gita is the science of Krsna consciousness. No one can
  become Krsna conscious simply by mundane scholarship. One must be
  fortunate enough to associate with a person who is in pure
  consciousness.  A Krsna conscious person has realized knowledge, by the
  grace of Krsna, because he is satisfied with pure devotional service.
  By realized knowledge, one becomes perfect. By transcendental knowledge
  one can remain steady in his convictions, but by mere academic
  knowledge one can be easily deluded and confused by apparent
  contradictions. It is the realized soul who is actually
  self-controlled, because he is surrendered to Krsna.  He is
  transcendental because he has nothing to do with mundane scholarship.
  For him mundane scholarship and mental speculation, which may be as
  good as gold to others, are of no greater value than pebbles or
  stones.

Everything is there in the Bhagavad-gita.. We just have to read it.

Thank you very much. Hare Krishna.

Madhudvisa dasa       .

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!

Follow-Ups: References: