Re: A Fresh Look at the Cosmos

timi@mendel.berkeley.edu (Tim Ikeda) wrote:

>timi@mendel.berkeley.edu (Tim Ikeda) wrote:
>>>Explain the spiritual effect of cyanide on metabolism.
>
>>The metabolism is not "spiritual". It's a machine. The body is a
>>machine and the soul is seated in the body as a driver is seated
>>in a motorcar.
>>
>>If you put something in the fuel of the motorcar you may be able
>>to stop the car or "kill" the car... But the driver can find
>>another car, catch the bus or get a taxi and continue his journey....
>>
>>The driver is not "killed". You can kill the body, but you can
>>never kill the soul.

>Metabolism is not a machine, it's a material process.  The body
>depends on physical processes for life.  If life has a spiritual

>component then disrupting the metabolism has spiritual consequences.

The physical processes in the body depend on life. The spiritual component is
causing the material processes. In a lab the chemicals mix, not by themselves, but
under the direction of a living scientist. In the same way the matabolism of the
body is going on... Under the direction of life, the soul. When the soul leaves
the metabolism stops. Disrupting the metabolism is certainly inconvenient for the
soul.. in that respect you could say it has spiritual consequences, but you can't
kill the soul.

>Dualism doesn't cut it.  There is either physical interaction between
>the body and the sole or there isn't.

The soul is not physical. It is not affected by material things:

"The soul can never be cut to pieces by any weapon, nor burned by
fire, nor moistened by water, nor withered by the wind."

"This individual soul is unbreakable and insoluble, and can be neither
burned nor dried. He is everlasting, present everywhere, unchangeable,
immovable and eternally the same."

"It is said that the soul is invisible, inconceivable and immutable.
Knowing this, you should not grieve for the body." (Bhagavad-gita 2.23-25)

The soul is not killed when the body is killed. He may be inconvenienced, that is
another thing...

>If life has no physical
>component, then we're not talking about the same thing. I'm talking
>about the life of the body, about which physics certainly has
>something to say.

You're talking about the body, [the motorcar if you like] and I am talking about
the driver. You are right when you say physics has something to say about the
body. It is a machine obeying the physical laws. But there is  a driver and
physics may be able to say something about this in the future... Who knows?

But life is not physical!

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!