Re: Buddhism and God

thomasmc@netcom.com (Tom McFarlane) wrote:

>Madhudvisa dasa        (madhudvisa@krishna.org) wrote:

>: No. Buddhism and Christianity are completely incompatible. Buddhist's
>: don't believe in God... They are athiests whereas Christians most
>: certainly believe in God.

>There are, on the contrary, compatible essentials of both
>Christianity and Buddhism.  For example, Jesus and Buddha both taught
>selflessness and compassion as paths to truth.  They both taught that
>suffering or sin is ended through realization of spiritual truth.

Yes that is true.

>: Buddhism is certainly spiritual. We worship Lord Buddha as an incarnation
>: of God, but he preached atheism..

>Unless I am mistaken, the Buddha did not reject God.  He merely refused
>to engage in the use of metaphysical entities or beings because this so
>often leads to useless theological debate.  Instead, he chose to focus on
>the practical aspects of ending suffering.  If you look at the teachings
>of Jesus, his focus was the same thing.  That he happened to use the
>concept of God and the Buddha didn't is not an essential difference
>between the two.

No you are certainly wrong here. The Buddhist cult presents nine principles as follows:

  1.  The creation is eternal; therefore there is no need to accept a
      creator.

  2.  The cosmic manifestation is false.

  3.  "I am" is the truth.

  4.  There is repetition of birth and death.

  5.  Lord Buddha is the only source of understanding the truth.

  6.  The principle of nirvana, or annihilation, is the ultimate goal.

  7.  The philosophy of Buddha is the only philosophical path.

  8.  The Vedas are compiled by human beings.

  9.  Pious activities, showing mercy to others and so on, are advised.

So you can see that only point 9 is compatible with Christianity. One out of nine is not at all compatible!

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!