Re: Buddhism and God

thomasmc@netcom.com (Tom McFarlane) wrote:

>Madhudvisa dasa        (madhudvisa@krishna.org) wrote:

>: The Buddhist cult presents nine
>: principles as follows:

>The use of the perjorative term "cult" appears to betray a prejudice.
>To which "cult" do you specifically refer here?  Based upon the nine
>principles you listed, it is a distortion of any Buddhism that I am
>familiar with.  Indeed:

These are the nine principles of the Saranatha Buddhists in India. As you know
Lord Buddha appeared in India at a time when people in India were apparently
following the Vedic scriptures, which are theistic. The Vedas mention animal
sacrifices in some places so at the time Lord Buddha appeared the people had taken
these references out of context and they had practically turned every place into a
slaughter-house. Animal killing and meat eating was very prominent. And it was all
being done apparently under the sanction of the Vedas...

So Lord Buddha appeared to put a stop to the unnecessary animal killing. As they
were using the Vedas to justify their activities, Lord Buddha said, "I reject any
scripture which condones animal killing," and he went on to present his philosophy
of non violence...

As you know there are so many different groups of Buddhists now... But I have
never come across Buddhists who believe in God. This is certainly not what Lord
Buddha taught. So as you are trying to adjust Buddhism to make it compatible with
Christianity, which is Definitely theistic! They believe in God. You may engage in
such nonsense if you like but I have no intention of wasting my time discussing it
with you!

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!