Re: GRADUATION from the SCHOOL of LIFE

"nspectre@in.net" <nspectre@in.net> wrote:

>I too have had the idea of quitting the cycle.  When I was young, I had
>all these wonderful ideas of how I would set the world on fire and as I
>grew older I found out how hard it is just to keep that fire burning.  So
>many obstacles.

  The cycle is called "samsara". It means the repetition of birth and
  death. We are eternal spirit souls, this 70 or 100 year lifetime is but
  an insignificant moment in our eternal lives. It is very valuable,
  however because we can use the human life to get out of the cycle. But
  the difficulty is our society doesn't like these ideas. They want us to
  concentrate on the here and now and forget about anything else..

>All the goals I had set for myself when I was young I have accomplished
>and now I am wondering what is next.  Its suddenly become awful to me
>that I don't have any goals to set for myself.  I'm not power hungry or
>money hungry, nor am I hungry for status.  In fact, I don't seem to have
>any driving force these days.

  Achiving material goals can never satisfy us. Because we are not
  material. We are spiritual. We can only be satisfied on the spiritual
  platform. No amount of money, sex, or power will do it..

>Sometimes it feels like existing day to day.  Now that I am in my late
>30's I don't know how to set new goals for myself.  Pay bills, go to
>work, eat, sleep, do for the family.  There are times I wish I could take
>a 3 month vacation all alone so I could figure out were I've been, where
>I am going and who I want to be next.

  We have to maintain our bodies, of course. So we have to do those
  routine things like going to the market, cooking, eating, looking after
  our families and sleeping... But there is more to life. Human life
  means making a solution to the problem of repeated birth and death. It
  means not having to take another material body again, not to have to be
  put into the womb of another mother only to be born, to get old, to get
  sick and to die again. We have done it so many times before. The real
  pleasure the substance we are looking for can't be found this way..

>I have always devoted myself to the service of others, that is my calling
>in life and that is what makes me happy.  Sometimes thoughts creep in
>that make me wonder if I have really done all that I could do.  Sometimes
>I wonder if it really makes any difference at all.  Perhaps I have an
>over-inflated view of myself.

  The best service we can do for others is to help them get off the wheel
  of samsara. But we have to get off the wheel first!

>Just my two cents worth.  Thanks for listening.

  I've added another two cents worth. Thanks for giving me the
  opportunity to do it!

  Hare Krishna!

  Madhudvisa dasa       .

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!