Famous Vegetarians (Albert Einstein, Leonardo Da Vinci...)

hong2000@aol.com (Hong2000) wrote:

>VEGETARIANISM:  The Bible does relate to this topic many times, sometimes

>for it and sometimes neutral.  I refer to Genesis 1:29...  "Then God said,

>'I give you every SEED-BEARING PLANT on the face of the whole earth and

>every tree that has FRUIT with seed in it.  They will be yours for FOOD."

>Dominion over animals never meant mass slaughter and torture.

"It is my view tha the vegetarian manner of living, by its purely physical

effect on the human temperament, would most beneficially influence the lot

of mankind." (Albert Einstein)

"...I have, since an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will

come when people will look upon the murder of animals as they now look

upon the murder of human beings." (Leonardo Da Vinci)

"Not so long ago I had a talk with a retired soldier, a butcher, and he

too was surprised by my assertion that it was a pity to kill, and said the

usual things about its being ordained; but afterwards he agreed with me:

"especially when they are quiet, tame cattle. They come, poor things,

trusting you. It is very pitiful.

"This is dreadful! Not the suffering and death of the animals, but that

man suppresses in himself unnecessarily, the highest spiritual capacity --

that of sympathy and pity toward living creatures like himself -- and by

violating his own feelings becomes cruel. And how deeply seated in the

human heart is the injunction not to take life! But by the assertion that

God ordained the slaughter of animals, and above all as a result of habit,

people entirely loose their natural feelings." (Leo Nikolayevich Tolstoy)

                           PHYSIOLOGICAL COMPARISONS

                           =========================

                         |                         |

         MEAT-EATER      |        HERBIVORE        |           MAN

_________________________|_________________________|__________________________

                         |                         |

 has claws               | no claws                | no claws

                         |                         |

 no skin pores,perspires | perspires through skin  | perspires through

 through tongue          | pores                   | skin pores

                         |                         |

 sharp front teeth for   | no sharp fromt teeth    | no sharp fromt teeth

 tearing, no flat molar  | has flat rear molars    | has flat rear molars

 teeth for grinding      |                         |

                         |                         |

 intestinal tract 3 times| intestinal tract 10-12  | intestinal tract 12

 body length so rapidly  | times body length       | times body length

 decaying meat can pass  |                         |

 through quickly         |                         |

                         |                         |

 strong hydrochloric acid| stomach acid 20 times   | stomach acid 20 times

 in stomach to digest    | less strong than meat-  | less strong than

 meat                    | eaters                  | meat-eaters

_________________________|_________________________|___________________________

Tim Robinson <tim@next.com.au> wrote:

>"He who behaves cruelly or ignorantly to an animal,

>will surely behave likewise

>to his fellow man."

>When are religious people (mainly Christian)

>stop coming out with crap like "God put

>animals on this earth for us to eat."

>God put aninals on this earth to teach

>us compassion for all life.

>"It is not a matter of whether they

>think or feel, but whether they suffer."

>People are much healthier being vegetarian

>anyway. You are 80% MORE likely to die of

>heart disease or bowel cancer if you eat

>meat (read dead animals). Plus a meat-

>based diet is horrendously damaging to

>the environment.

>There is NO justification for killing for

>food, when one can EASILY be sustained

>through non animal means.

>I hope many find the truth in my words.

>Regards

>Tim.

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)      /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!

Follow-Ups: References: