Does Life Create Chemicals or Simply Manipulate Them?

che755v@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Peter Thomas) wrote:

>madhudvisa@krishna.org (Madhudvisa dasa       ) writes:

>> che755v@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Peter Thomas) wrote:

>>>I thought I might point out that you seem to be forgetting that the little

>>>jar of chemical(s) you were talking about probably came from life too.

>>>This is especially true of organic chemicals (kind of tautological really)

>>>which are mostly made from the left over bits of things that once lived.

>> It's true. It enhances my point even more. Not only does life NOT come

>> from chemicals but chemicals come from life... Just look at a lemon

>> tree... It is producing huge quantities of citric acid. Where is it coming

>> from? It is coming from life. So Life comes from life, Chemicals come from

>> life and LIFE DOES NOT COME FROM MATTER. We can see it everywhere. It is

>> plain as day,..

>So does life create chemicals ex nihlio or does it simply manipulate

>chemicals?

Ultimately everything is spiritual. Everything is the energy of the

Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krishna. So He is eternal, unborn. The

concept of birth and death or creation and annihilation does not apply to

Him or His energies. We, the living entities are the "superior" energy of

Krishna and matter is the "inferior" energy. But they are both Krishna's

energy. Although the creation is cyclic -- the universe is created, it

exists for some time and then it is destroyed, the ingredients of the

creation remain. The material energy is conserved in something called the

"Mahat-tattva" and the spirit-souls, the living entities enter the body of

Maha-Visnu, an expansion of Krishna. So the matter is conserved from one

creation to the next and when the time comes for the next creation the

same matter and the same spirit-souls form it...

So to answer your question directly life produces chemicals by

transforming existing chemicals.. The lemon tree gets the ctiric acid out

of the earth, the cows get the milk out of the grass, the rose flowers get

their scent from the earth. These are all amazing transformations. But it

is all ultimately coming from the earth.

The important point is the transformation is made possible by life. Grass

never turns into milk without the cow, the rose scent is not produced from

the earth unless there is a rose plant...

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)      /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!