Scientists... How to convince them...

Dear Bhakta Nik

Hello. Hare Krishna!! All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

Thanks for writing and it is fantastic to hear you are chanting 5 rounds of the

Hare Krishna maha-mantra daily. That is the main thing, chanting Hare Krishna.

If we keep chanting Hare Krishna gradually our dull cloudy consciousness will

become perfectly clear and we will be able to understand ourselves and our

relationship with Krishna. As we make advancement in Krishna consciousness

gradually our attachment to Krishna will increase and at the same time our

attachment to material sense gratification will decrease. It is very nice!

                 srnvatam sva-katah krsnah

                    punya-sravana-kirtanah

                 hrdy antah stho hy abhadrani

                    vidhunoti suhrt satam

"Sri Krishna, the Personality of Godhead, who is the Paramatma (Supersoul) in

everyone's heart and the benefactor of the truthful devotee, cleanses desire

for material enjoyment from the heart of the devotee who has developed the urge

to hear His messages, which are in themselves virtuous when properly heard and

chanted." (Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.2.17)

So it is very important to hear the messages about Krishna properly chanted by

a pure devotee in addition to chanting Hare Krishna. So that means hearing from

Srila Prabhupada. That means chanting reading Srila Prabhupada's books. Srila

Prabhupada has presented everything absolutely perfectly in his books we just

have to read them and hear them submissively. The process of understanding

Krishna consciousness is hearing from the bonafide pure devotee and questioning

in a spirit of understanding the meaning, of clarifying any points which are

not clear, not a challenging attack...

>I will quickly introduce myself. My name is Nicholas

>I am a computer science student in Australia,

>I first met the devotees about a year ago.

>I am now chanting 5 rounds a day. And following the other regs

>also. I am mailing you to see if you could suggest the reply that

>I could give to my friend for the message below.

The problem with people that have no faith is they don't want to understand

anything about God. They are afraid of God. They are living a life full of

sinful activities and to believe in God and punishment for sinful activities

(karma) is just too much... So no matter what you say they will not accept

it... They have blind, fanatic, religious faith in the scientists godless

theories... Even though these theories are quite childish and full of holes. No

thoughtful person could accept the idea that everything came from a big bang

for example. It is completely outside our experience. If the whole universe was

created by a big explosion then why can't we create something useful with a

small explosion? Why not create a building or a city with a small explosion? If

you can create a universe with a big explosion then why not create a city with

a small explosion?

As for evolution that is also complete nonsense. There are so many holes so

many inconsistencies but the scientists have been working on it for so long now

that they have nice sounding answers for most of the questions. But the whole

idea is completely flawed. But if you present the flaws to the scientists they

will not consider them and question their blind faith in evolution. They become

rather distressed and madly try and come up with another nice-sounding

"scientific" explanation that will convince the people in general. They have no

interest in finding out the truth. They are interested in making an atheistic

godless philosophy that will justify their hedonistic life of sense

gratification. They cannot believe in a next life for that would make all their

endeavour for economic development and sense gratification in this life

completely useless.

There are many things on the Sudarsana page you might like to read. You can use

the search (magnifying glass on the button bar) for things like big bang and

evolution, etc.

So for your friend it is an interesting situation. Really it is one of the ten

offences to preach to a faithless person because sometimes they become angry

and more offensive and the preaching doesn't produce any good result. But still

devotees want to tell everyone about Krishna... First there has to be a little

faith, at least they have to think there may be something in this Krishna

consciousness. And that faith is created by the association of devotees, by

eating Krishna Prasadam, by hearing the Hare Krishna mantra chanted by pure

devotees... Krishna is non-different from His holy name and His prasadam so

hearing the holy name and tasting Krishna prasadam are very effective ways of

developing faith for the faithless...

One of the devotees asked Srila Prabhupada in the '60's how it was possible so

many of them were now engaged in Krishna's service but none of them seem to

have the required pious background, the required qualifications... So Srila

Prabhupada said, "I have created your qualifications, I have created your pious

background..." So Srila Prabhupada came to the US in the mid sixties when the

hippy movement was starting. He went to the Lower East Side in New York and sat

underneath a tree in Tompkins Square Park and chanted:

    Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare

        Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare

He was going there every day, chanting for about three hours at a time, and

gradually some young boys and girls were attracted by the chanting. When there

was a small group Srila Prabhupada would also speak something from the

Bhagavad-gita and invite them back to his room for morning and evening

classes...

So really we have to become pure devotees ourselves and then we will have the

potency to convince others. It is a little difficult over email as to develop

the faith hearing the chanting of Hare Krishna from pure devotees and tasting

Krishna prasadam are very important... And it is hard to do that over email...

If you meet people there you can invite them to your house and cook nice

vegetarian foods and offer them to Srila Prabhupada and Krishna and then

distribute the prasadam to your friends. That is the best system. Then you can

talk something about Krishna and convince them to read some of Srila

Prabhupada's books. That is the best thing. Get them interested and then

convince them to read some of Prabhupada's books, let Srila Prabhupada preach

to them as well... So many great books are there: Science of Self Realisation,

Perfect Questions -- Perfect Answers, On the Way to Krsna, Matchless Gifts, The

King of Knowledge. I have just read "Life Comes From Life". It is a collection

of morning walks with Srila Prabhupada talking about the scientists and their

ideas and it is so wonderful. The arguments Srila Prabhupada uses are so

perfect and anyone who reads it must question their blind faith in the

"scientific" dogma...

The good news is that most people [like your friend probably] are not really

demons. Of course there are some very determined demons, but most people are

innocent, they have just been mislead by modern "education" and modern

"science". So when they hear the truth they accept it.

Below is an article from the Sudarsana page -- It might give your friend some

ideas... Last year I posted it to quite a few newsgroups so there are dozens of

articles there in the news archive you might like to check out:

</sudarsana/archive/msg00109.html>

(Click on the "Follow-up's" at the bottom to get the other articles)

<<article "When the Universe was Dark" was here>>

There are also lots of discussions about the soul and artificial intelligence,

etc in the archive so check it out and write back with your thoughts...

Chant Hare Krishna and be happy!

Your servant