Re: what happened?

Dear Rob

Hello. Hare Krishna. Please accept my humble obesances. All glories to Srila

Prabhupada!

I travel a lot. At the moment I'm in Australia, but I was there in New York at

Ratha-yatra time staying in the Schemorhorn Street Temple in Brooklin and I

also stayed with Kapindra Swami in Ave. B. I visited many cities in the U.S.,

both ISKCON and ritvik and also the U.K. and Europe. So I am aware of what is

going on both inside and outside ISKCON.

There are not "book distributers everywhere" in the States as you say. They are

few and far between. If you ask most people on the streets in the States about

Krishna they have absolutely no idea at all. They have never heard of Krishna.

Of course it is not so much like that in N.Y. But I have distributed books in

many cities and they just havn't heard of Krishna at all... The devotees have

practically disappeared from the streets since 1977 in most places... There are

some book distributors there in N.Y. and Hrydananda Maharaja has a party in

L.A. Of course they are all great souls. Anyone distributing Srila Prabhupada's

books is not at all an ordinary person. The problem is not the sincerity of the

devotees. Mostly everyone who comes to Krishna consciusness is a great soul, it

is an institutional problem. ISKCON has institutainalised the position of guru.

So many ordinary men are acting as gurus in ISKCON and one can't make spiritual

advancement if he surrenders to an ordinary man. One has to surrender to

Krishna's pure devotee, a transparent via-medium. Someone who has actually seen

Krishna can show you Krishna. The Spiritual Master is not just an ordinary

devotee. But ISKCON have made so many ordinary devotees "spiritual master". It

has spoiled the whole thing. Their disciples do not make any spiritual

advancement.

As for the "temples full of devotees" in the US. Yes. The Brooklin temple was

full of devotees for the two-week festival. But I went there a couple of weeks

later and there were only five or six brahmacaries staying in the ashram...

empty, very empty... And I stayed at the Long Island temple. Such a big, big

property and only the Indian T.P. and one brahmacary is staying there. How

about Berkley. Big Big church, 600 unsatisfied devotee familys in the area and

6 devotees in the temple... It's the same all over the States, all over the

world. The ISKCON temples are practically empty, many have already closed and

many more are on the verge of closing. And the mood is not right. I can compare

what it was like in the past, I can see the way it is going... It is a business

now. It is becoming a Hindu Temple organization...

You are right that we should concentrate on our own spiritual lives. We have to

become very fixed-up in Krishna consciousness wherever we are, inside or

outside the temple -- it should not make any difference. We have to strictly

follow the four regulative principles (no illicit sex, no meat eating, no

gambling, no intoxication), chant at least 16 rounds of the Hare Krishna mantra

daily, only eat Krishna prasadam, rise eairly (before 4:00 am) and do practical

service. Krishna consciousness is not an armchair philosophy. We can't just go

to the Sunday feast and live an ordinary life during the week. Of course we may

have a job, be a family man, etc. That doesn't matter. But we have to be

Krishna conscious in all our activities. We have to organize our lives so we

can remember Krishna always 24 hours a day. That is Krishna consciousness and

that is what Srila Prabhupada is teaching us. You may say I am a fanatic. You

compared me to a Christian street-corner preacher before. Yelling at the top of

his voice, but no one is listening... So it is a little like that. Srila

Prabhupada said, "It doesn't matter if anyone comes or not, we will go on

chanting: Govindam adi purusam tam aham bajami..." So we have to keep

preaching, we have to try and say something about Krishna. We have to become

pure devotees ourselves. Only then can we do something for others...

It is the most valuable thing, Krishna consciousness, and it is also the rarest

thing. It is only available by the grace of a pure devotee, by somehow or other

getting the dust from the lotus feet of a pure devotee... So we are trying to

get the dust from the lotus feet of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

Prabhupada. I would strongly recommend you to seriously read all Srila

Prabhupada's books, listen to all his classes, read all his letters and follow

the instructions he is giving.

As for the Ritvik leaders in the States and elsewhere I know them all and have

stayed with them all. They are sincere devotees who are trying to reestablish

the worship of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. What is

the problem with that? Srila Prabhupada is living still, he is living in his

books, all his potencies are 100% present in his books... We can still take

shelter of Srila Prabhupada now. He is not dead and gone as ISKCON would have

everyone believe...

Anyhow I wish you well in your Krishna consciousness and hope you take shelter

of the real Jagat-Guru, His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.

That will be the perfection of your life. If you surrender to a bogus guru it

is a great disaster...

Chant Hare Krishna and be happy!

Madhudvisa dasa