Re: Let's Be Krishnas

fyl@leland.Stanford.EDU (Phillip Orion Leckman) wrote:

>We're bored white suburban youth.

>We've done it all - punk, hardcore, sXe - but nothing quite seems to break
>the tedium of our white, upper-middle class existences.

  Everyone has this problem, not just the "white surban youth". It's the
  nature of the material world. We get sick of everything in due course
  of time. [It's because we're not material - we're spirit-souls looking
  for Krishna but we've been attracted by the bright lights of the
  material world...]

>But then WAIT!  All of a sudden we find this NEATO new religion - a dumbed-
>down version of Hinduism, specially tailored for jaded westerners!!

  Well this could be discussed in length, but if you check out your facts
  you will find Krishna consciousness as taught by His Divine Grace A.C.
  Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada is Guadiyia Viasnavism 100%. Anyone who
  knows anything about Vedic culture will confirm that for you.

>WOW!! Let's be Hare Krishnas!!

  Why not. The Hare Krishna mantra is not different from Krishna. It is
  completely spiritual. So you will NEVER get sick of it. The more you
  chant it the more transcendental pleasure you will experience. It's
  very nice...

>Let's stop thinking!! Krishna gives us all the answers to all the questions
>we could ever think about asking, and we don't even have to question them!!

  No. Thinking is important. But you should think about useful things.
  Your Western culture is encouraging you to think about sex and take
  drugs [which stop you from thinking and kill your brain cells so you
  can't think in the future] Krishna consciousness, however, purifies the
  thinking process. Instead of thinking, "how can I get drugs," we are
  thinking "how can I serve Krishna."

  Nothing is stopped, only the purpose is changed. Instead of doing
  things for myself I do them for Krishna...

  And you can ask any question you like, the answers are all there in
  Krishna consciousness. And yes the time will come when you don't have
  to question Krishna's words... But not that you should just believe
  everything blindly. Questioning is a sign of intelligence, we have to
  question until all our dobuts are answered...

> Let's subvert our individuality in a nifty herd mentality!! Let's stop saying
>"I" and start saying "we"!!!

  When *we* preach *we* present the timeless philosophy handed down from
  one spiritual master to the next. We don't present our own ideas. That
  is the process. The Vedic scriptures present perfect knowledge and we
  repeat that. We present it in a language the audience can understand,
  but if we change the message everything is lost. So "we" means the
  disciplic succession. [my spiritual master, his spiritual master and so
  on back to Krishna]

>Let's dress in neat new ways and eat neat new things!! Let's spout off about
>Karma and Brahma and lots of other things we have only a tenuous understanding
>of!!

  Sometimes this does happen. People join and don't read the books and
  have only a superficial understanding of the philosophy and they go out
  to tell everybody.. But there is no loss. Every endeavour in Krishna
  consciousness is auspicious and they will become more knowledgeable of
  the culture and philosophy in due course of time.

>Let's change our boring, whiteboy names to something COOL, like Rhagunatha or
>Bhakta Cow!!

  I don't know about Bhakta Cow, but when we take initiation our
  spiritual master changes our name. He gives us one of Krishna's names
  or the name of one of His devotees. We become purified by hearing
  Krishna's name, so when our name is also one of Krishna's names we
  become purified even when hearing our own name. It's a very nice
  process...

>Let's pretend that we're Gen-u-ine Hindus, despite our whitebread roots!!

  WE ARE NOT HINDUS!!! I think this has been pointed out many times
  before but "Hindus" are a group of people living in a certain area who
  have MANY different religious beliefs. We are Viasnavas.

>Let's get really indignant and call those who accuse us of being brainwashed
>followers of the latest sXe fashion trend RACISTS!!

  No. They are ignorant, that's all. We don't mind much.

>After all, if they think
>we're kind of silly, then THEY MUST BE BIGOTS WHO WANT TO SEND ALL INDIANS TO
>THE GAS CHAMBER!!

  No. We think they are "kind of silly" but we don't see "enemies" and
  "friends". Devotees see everyone equally. We see people suffering
  because they have forgotten God, Krishna, so we want to help them to
  remember Krishna, that's all.

  Krishna consciousness is not something new that we "learn". It is our
  original consciousness and it is there within everyone's heart. It just
  has to be uncovered, that's all.

>Let's be sheep and follow the herd!! Life's so much easier when you don't have
>to think...

  No Krishna sheep get into trouble too, better to think, understand the
  philosophy... use your brain to serve Krishna...

>							PHIL 8)
>						(who has nothing against
>						 Hindus, only jaded sXe kids
>						 who think Krishna is the
>						 next flavor of the month)

  Krishna is not the "next flavor of the month", He is the original,
  eternal flavor!

     raso 'aham apsu kaunteya prabhasmi sasa-suryayoh
     pranavah sarva-vedesu sabdah khe paurusam nrsu

"O son of Kunti [Arjuna], I am the taste of water, I am the light of the
sun and the moon, the syllable om in the Vedac mantras; I am the sound in
ether and the ability in man."

  Thank you very much. Hare Krishna.

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!

Follow-Ups: References: