Re: Do all cows eat grass??

writes:

>> cows cant wish, they cant think, they are dumb as nails.

>Hmmm...i would seriously doubt that you know much about animal psychology at
>all. Using your own cognitive experiences as a frame of reference does not
>count.

Cows can think. They can think about what they want to eat. They know what they
like and what they don't like.... But they certainly are not super-intelligent.
But that doesn't mean they don't have a right to live. Every living being has a
right to live.

It is true that every living entity lives by eating another living entity... That
is the law of nature. But thoughtful people don't want to cause unnecessary
suffering, and it is quite possible to cook and eat very nice food without killing
animals.

Of all animals the cow is very special because she gives us milk... I know many of
you are vegans and don't drink milk... That is another thing. But cows and people
have lived side by side in many civilizations and have both benefited. The people
can arrange for the protection of the cows and take them to the pastures where
they can find nice grass... The cows eat the grass and turn it into milk which is
[despite all the "anti-milk" propaganda] a miracle food.

The cow turns her blood into milk. She pumps blood into her udder and it is
transformed peacefully, naturally and non-violently into milk. Milk contains
everything you can get from meat [but not the violence and aggression]. It is a
complete food. You can live on milk.

In the past sages in India would travel and every morning, at the time of milking
the cows, they would visit someones house and request some milk. No one would
refuse for there was plenty of milk and the benefits of giving charity to the
sages were well known. In return the sages would tell the householders something
about Krishna, thus helping them to advance spiritually. So milk is so good that
you can live on it. There are very few other foods like this.

Most vegans I have met are not actually against milk, but they are against the
violence the modern dairy industry commits against the cows. This is a big
problem. Modern dairies treat the cows like machines and treat them very badly.
But that doesn't make milk bad. Rather than giving up milk we should correct the
problems in the dairy industry... That would be the best thing.

So as devotees of Krishna, we have a special interest in protecting the cows
because Krishna likes the cows very much. He is a cow-heard boy. It seems
amazing... How could God be a cow-heard boy? But sometimes truth is stranger than
fiction... So he likes the cows very much. So, because God likes the cows very
much, killing cows is more sinful than killing other animals. Any unnecessary
killing is sinful. But killing cows is very sinful.

Many of the problems the world is now facing including violence and wars, are a
direct result of the massive cow killing which is now going on everywhere. We
don't connect it. It is karma. When we do something violent to another living
entity that violence will come back on us in the future. It's just like bouncing a
ball on the ground... it will bounce back up again. Scientists can relate to the
forces and natural principles at work in the bouncing ball but they cannot yet see
the same forces acting on a more subtle level. But karma is the same law that
causes the ball to bounce back up... it works with our actions as well as with
balls!

>> you know for a fact what other PEOPLE feel?? i know what happens
>> everytime i eat meet and put on my leather, and i care, but the
>> animals had no rights to begin with.

Of course animals are less intelligent than people. They can't defend themselves
against us. But that doesn't mean they have no rights. They are born into this
world just like you and me and they have a right to live here also.

We are all spirit souls. You and I are now in human bodies but we, the spirit-
souls are not different from the spirit-souls in the cows body. It's a question of
consciousness that's all. We get a body according to our consciousness. If you are
in human consciousness you get a human body, if you are in dog consciousness you
get a dogs body... It depends what you want. If in this human life you dedicate
your whole life to surfing, always thinking of the ocean, always thinking of
catching a big wave... Then naturally you will be thinking of surfing at the time
of death and your next body will be one suited to surfing. Because you were in
"Surfing consciousness" at the time of death... So you can get a dolphin body or a
seal body... And you will be in your element. Built in wetsuit, built in flippers,
living in the ocean. What more could any surfer wish for? [BTW I have NOT cross-
posted this one to alt.surfing!] :-)

But Surfing consciousness is not really so good... There are sharks, the water is
sometimes too cold... and you have to die also... It is better to become Krishna
conscious so at the time of death we think of Krishna and go back to Krishna, back
home, back to Godhead. That is the best thing. There we have our original
spiritual body which is eternally youthful, full of knowledge and full of
pleasure... which is what we are looking for here but can never find... It's our
real home, our natural position. To be in the spiritual world with Krishna.

We all have some relationship with Krishna that we have forgoten. Some of us are
His friends, some of us are His parents, even some of us are His wives and lovers.
Everything is there in the spiritual world because everything here is a perverted

reflection of the spiritual world... So what we see here exists there as well but
in its original pure form...

>> im telling your mom that you called her a cow!!

Yes. The cow is one of our mothers because she gives us milk. First our real
mother gives us milk then this job is taken by mother cow. There are many mothers,
the earth is also our mother...

>That was just plain stupid. I could use loftier criticism, but what's the
point?

Yes. Criticism is not very constructive. It is better to try and understand. You
will find it makes a lot of sense.

>My friend, you will always be full of questions. Why the sudden desire to get
>answers?

A very philosophical statement indeed... Human life is meant for questions and for
finding the answers. If we stop asking the questions we are no better than the
dogs and cats and we will become dogs and cats in our nest life... That would be
missing a great chance...

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!